The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of small group recordings with guitar, particularly trios of guitar, bass and drums. There's usually lots of room for chord-melody playing in amongst the lines, and that type of thing gets my attention right away. Bireli Lagrene's 'Standards' album is a wonderful example of the kind of thing I mean.

Can anyone recommend other good trio albums to check out?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Ed Bickert trio albums are all good, so are Ben Monder's trio Cd's.

I also like the Lenny Breau trio recordings from the 60's, the live ones are great.

MW

User Info Menu

Jim Hall Live is an overall good trio album from 1975. His duo with Ron Carter is also good. Howard Alden playing Bill Evans tunes is good as well

As far as albums with chord melody there are a few good ones that are solo outings that you may be interested in

Howard Alden "My Shining Moment"
    Johnny Smith/ George Van Eps. I forgot the title but it's a compilation album on the Concord label

There is one album I can recommend if you would like to hear improvised chord solos mixed with single lines. The leader is a sax player but the back up band is guitar bass and drums only. The Album is by Al Cohn. Live at East Strausburg" It's from 1976 or so and uses Phil Wood's rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall live is considered one of the must have Trio albums especially for using standards.

Barney Kessel's Poll Winners are classic even though I don't like Kessel.

Pat Metheny's trio albums are great, especially Question and Answer, Rejoicing, Bright Size Life and the latest, Day Trip.

John Scofield has some interesting Trio records, Shinola and Enroute are interesting because one os early (shinola) and Enroute is only a few years old.

John Abercrombie's trio with Eddie Gomez and Gene Jackson on a record called Structures is outstanding and new. His trio with Marc Johnson and Peter Erskine is classic stuff.

User Info Menu

how about Bill Frisell, Ron Carter & Paul Motian's eponymous recent album for a more contemporary feel?

I've got Jim Hall Live and I can see why it's considered a classic. I was listening to him today and thinking what I wouldn't give to have a tenth of the melody that's in his little finger alone.

Lots of great suggestions from everybody - I knew this stuff was out there, just didn't know where to look. Thanks to everyone who's responded so far.

User Info Menu

Mike Stern's Trio songs are hot, or not. His style I have found, is either loved or hated. I like it, and as far as guitar trios go. I dont remember if he has an entire album of trio, but there is a few on standards and give and take. Be for-warned, you may not like it and think I am an idiot for recomending it.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney's output on criss cross, including wisteria (guitar, bass, piano) and but beautiful.

wes montgomery trio (guitar organ and drums, and the best darn 'round midnight i've heard a guitar player do)

check out grant green's album called "standards." it was released after his death...great trio date.

kenny burrell live at the villiage vanguard. losta blues on that one.

and this one's a duo, but if you can get your hands on ed bickert and don thompson at the garden party, you'll dig it.

User Info Menu

I keep returning to Metheny's Bright Size Life, so much in fact that my vinyl copy is nearly worn out.

I also have an old Scofield (forget the name, perhaps Out Like a Light? With Steve Swallow), which is quite nice.

Per

User Info Menu

man, i forgot all about 'out like a light'.
    i loved that album.

mike

User Info Menu

I always loved Oscar Moore's playing in The Nat King Cole Trio.

User Info Menu

There's so many good ones!

Guitar trio recordings to check out:

Bill Frisell - "Gone, Just Like A Train"
    Bill Frisell - "East/West"
    Bill Frisell - "Power Tools"
    Bill Frisell - "The Willies"
    Bill Frisell - "With Ron Carter And Paul Motian"
    Paul Motian Trio - "It Should've Happened A Long Time Ago"
    Paul Motian Trio - "I Have The Room Above Her"
    John Abercrombie - "Current Events"
    John Abercrombie - "While We're Young"
    John Abercrombie - "Gateway"
    John Abercrombie/Gateway - "Homecoming"
    John Abercrombie - "Animato"
    Pat Metheny - "Day Trip"
    Pat Metheny - "Bright Size Life"
    Ben Monder - "Dust"
    Jim Hall - "Live"
    Jim Hall - "Circles"
    John McLaughlin - "After The Rain"
    Terje Rypdal - "Descendre"
    Terje Rypdal and the Chasers - "Blue"
    Steve Tibbetts - "Safe Journey"

Those should keep you busy for a while.

User Info Menu

I'd have to go along with Mike Stern's trio stuff. He has a Standards album that's almost entirely trio stuff, and it's a really cool departure from his fusion stuff and also most other guitar trio work because the playing is so sparse. From everyone. Also, the Jim Hall Live album is great. Pat Metheney's "Bright Size Life" is great also. It's sort of on the other end, as I remember. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember thinking "How can just three guys produce so much sound?" Wes Montgomery has some trio albums with organists. Also, it's not as traditional, and the organ is as out front as the guitar, but anything by Soulive while they were still a trio is pretty hip.

User Info Menu

Definitely try Friday Night in San Fransisco with McLaughlin, Di Meola, and De Luca. I have only listened to a couple songs so far, because I just bought it, but they're impressive I think.

User Info Menu

Everything Mr. Beaumont said just add Joe Pass live at Dontes.

User Info Menu

Ginger Baker Trio: Baker: drums, Charlie Haden: bass, Bill Frisell: guitar.
    Stuff like this:

User Info Menu

I am listening right now to Kenny Burrell's "Kenny Burrell in New York", recorded live with Larry Gales on bass and Sherman Ferguson on drums. I like it! Kenny plays that cool chord-solo-stuff.

Grant Green's "Standards" and "Green Street" are also trio-albums that I like very much.

User Info Menu

Hi I'm new here, but I was looking for Guitar, Drums, Organ Trio albums. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks a lot!!! I have some Jimmy Smith.

User Info Menu

Sure, TOMMY KAY trio.

Tommy Kay | Tommy Kay | CD Baby

Good player.

Don't forget the Wes organ trio albums from 1960- on Riverside...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robow11
    Hi I'm new here, but I was looking for Guitar, Drums, Organ Trio albums. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks a lot!!! I have some Jimmy Smith.
    look up big john patton, did quite a few records in that format. I like the way he plays even more than jimmy...

my favorite guitar/organ/drums record is grant green's "talkin' bout"--with larry young and elvin jones...that's some hip stuff, not just "soul jazz" (mind you, there's nothing wrong with some good 'ol soul jazz)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robow11
    Wes Montgomery: "Boss Guitar". I just wish Mel Rhyne's left hand work was a little louder in the mix and his right hand comps were a little lower, but, man, what a sensational recording!!

User Info Menu

I would also add Wolfgang Muthspiel's 'Real Book Stories' , 'Air, Love and Vitamins' and 'Bright Side'...very tasteful player...

...by the way, this is my first post, so hello to everyone...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    I would also add Wolfgang Muthspiel's 'Real Book Stories'
    this is a great record, but kinda hard to find now, i think...too bad, he's part of what's good about current jazz guitar players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    this is a great record, but kinda hard to find now, i think...too bad, he's part of what's good about current jazz guitar players.
    True, but I would try itunes or emusic if you don't mind downloading..Muthspiel's playing is becoming part of the 'canon'...check out Bruce Saunders' online Berklee course, there's Giant Steps from Real Book Stories under 'Great Performances'....and it is...no digital patterns in sight...

User Info Menu

...and surprisingly Kurt Rosenwinkel hasn't been mentioned..so 'East Coast Love Affair' and 'Reflections' would be appropriate...