The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

As the title suggest, in this threat, only the opposite to beauty is accepted.

Off course, the worst of the greatest players.

I m gonna start with the great Wes,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm...we'll see where this goes...I'm predicting somewhere ugly.

For the record, I like cheesy pop Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morfeo_ur

I'd ride in that elevator!

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    this recording is truly awful, very poor quality

User Info Menu

These always tickle me

User Info Menu

I'm still learning toward "Zero Tolerance For Silence" being a joke on the record company.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty convinced ZTFS is a huge, wagging, middle finger of an album.

I'll play, if we're talking about recordings.

Any Jimmy Raney fans got "Live at Bradley's?" Terrible recording (so bad, it even warns you on the back of the CD)--but with some damn fine playing...

User Info Menu

This cat isn't famous, but he's the worst. He must be; YOUTUBE says so!

And the way his grimacing, I think he's simultaneously being electrocuted by the amp.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if it is the recording technique or what, but I secretly think that Joe Pass's tone sucks on Virtuoso. Great playing, but he sounds like he's playing on a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinky 8-38s.

User Info Menu

I don't remember where I first heard the story, but i think it's pretty widely known that Virtuoso was intended to be a blend of an acoustic sound and an electric sound, but something went wrong and the electric sound was lost.

So what you hear is the close mic'd sound of a laminate jazzbox--not the most rich acoustic sound going...though, some folks I know love the tone on that record--I'm not bothered by it, but it's not a tone I'd go out of my way to get, either...

User Info Menu

Keith Jarrett - The Vienna Concert
    Miles Davis - The Man with the Horn; We Want Miles; You're Under Arrest
    Derek Bailey/Evan Parker - Arch Duo
    Eddie Gomez - Street Smart
    John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording

Quote Originally Posted by gravitas

These always tickle me
    Oh man that was good, the ending is hilarious.

User Info Menu

I still think Wes did the best job of them all. It may be pop but I still liked it. I used to have that album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    I repeat. Hornbeek is a funny, funny man. I LOL'd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VersatileJazzGuitarist
    I repeat. Hornbeek is a funny, funny man. I LOL'd.
    Yeah, but do I see the name Scofield in there? Hey ho, he's been around a long time Love him tho' I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    I think that's Madonna.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    I'm not sure if it is the recording technique or what, but I secretly think that Joe Pass's tone sucks on Virtuoso. Great playing, but he sounds like he's playing on a set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinky 8-38s.
    I don't think he was playing those slinky strings, but all tunes on that album except one was recorded with his two PU ES 175 acoustical and miked. In my book, the 175 is NOT a great acoustic instrument. I have one of the same vintage as Pass' sample - 1961, and I have never used it acoustically except for praticing.

Another Joe Pass recording with a so so guitar tone is the one, he made with Benny Carter (don't remember the name). Not only is the music as such very sedate to my ears, but the sound of his Ibanez JP - which I have never been a fan of due to the PU placement - sounds like it has beed fed directly into the board without further attention. According to rumours, Joe himself didn't like the sound of the Ibanez but had to use it at least sometimes due to the endorment agreement with Ibanez, and he also brought it for tours in Europe as he didn't want to leave his D'Aquisto in the hands of air luggage handlers.

In his Synanon days, he used Synanons Fender jazzmaster and Jaguar and did in fact sound pretty good with those instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    In his Synanon days, he used Synanons Fender jazzmaster and Jaguar and did in fact sound pretty good with those instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Thanks for sharing that. I guess it is all mostly in the fingers. I dug the tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I don't think he was playing those slinky strings, but all tunes on that album except one was recorded with his two PU ES 175 acoustical and miked.
    Was the exception Here's That Rainy Day? Because I love his sound on that song and it sounds much different/better to me than the rest of the album.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ehhh...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanFan
    Was the exception Here's That Rainy Day? Because I love his sound on that song and it sounds much different/better to me than the rest of the album.
    I believe so, because the sound of "Rainy Day" is definitely that of an amplified 175 as opposed to the other tracks.

User Info Menu

Now, that was an entertaining thread!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morfeo_ur
    As the title suggest, in this threat, only the opposite to beauty is accepted.

Off course, the worst of the greatest players.

Not a bad recording or bad performance at all. Just a style that most of us jazz affectionados do not prefer.