The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

What do you think about this guy?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was just listening to 'SplitLife' this morning! I really enjoy his playing.

User Info Menu

Mr. Hekselman's playing is really good. I like players like him who play with an economy of notes, without a lot of histrionics. One of the better players who've come to my notice here - that's one of the cool things about this website, being able to find good new players.

Besides his great phrasing and harmony understanding, I think his dynamics are great. IMO many jazz guitar solos become boring because they lack dynamics, but he is playing really great.

User Info Menu

Gilad is a beast, in 20 years just imagine...

User Info Menu

One of the best young players on the scene, I really dig his playing.

User Info Menu

Gilad is great! A very sensitive player with excellent chops.

wiz

User Info Menu

Yeah he's the real deal
    He's too good looking tho

I'm going to see him live next week

User Info Menu

Any solo transcriptions og Gilad out there?

Quote Originally Posted by goteborg
    I remember finding a site selling transcriptions of him while looking for transcriptions, don't remember the adress or name.

Yesterday I went to his show!
    He played standards and was amazing obviously :P
    Yaron Herman came as a guest for the 3 last songs, and I got to talk to Gilad at the end, he is really nice. After a little while of not going to jazz show, that was really fun.

User Info Menu

He and I had the same guitar--Gibby HR Custom--but I just got rid of mine.

Just goes to show ya--its not the gear. Or, to paraphrase someone else from these boards--"time on the gear" . ah, if only I was 10 and knew then what I know now--I would be so utterly one-dimensional and so loving it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goteborg
    Hi, just saw this post and thought I would let you know that I have transcribed all of Gilad's solos and they are available on my site, under 'transcriptions': Quentin Angus- Jazz Guitarist and Composer- New York

You can order a book of all of them, or order them separately. I also have a selection of different solos by other guitarists and instrumentalists available to download for free.

Best,

Quentin

User Info Menu

I took a chance and bought one of Quentin's books, and they are very, very good.

User Info Menu

Quentin, I listened to some of your music on your website and I really like the way you play. Your amazing technique is excellent and the improvisation is very modern and exciting. I hope you put up some more of your music. My favorite is the "Sunday Blues". Good luck to you with your studies in New York.

wiz

User Info Menu

If you are aware of the Smalls Schedule - Smalls Jazz Club website, you'll notice Ari Hoenig is a pretty regular act and Gilad is a pretty regular member of his band. This Monday he may be playing as a matter of fact. Peter Bernstein solo guitar is the first feature and worth a watch either way.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Quentin, I listened to some of your music on your website and I really like the way you play. Your amazing technique is excellent and the improvisation is very modern and exciting. I hope you put up some more of your music. My favorite is the "Sunday Blues". Good luck to you with your studies in New York.

wiz
    Thankyou for your kind words Wiz! I will be putting up some more music soon. I am actually about to record some of my original music next month, and it should be ready shortly after that.

Best,

Q

User Info Menu

I second that. Very nice Quentin!!

Killer playing on Giant Steps!!!!
    Last edited by brwnhornet59; 07-24-2011 at 07:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Trying to revive this thread a bit with this: