The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Why is Kenny Burrell so damn good?

I can't stop listening to his work.

What are your favorite CDx/recordings (besides Midnight Blue)?

Best KB story?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree! Not only is KB the man, he's a real class act as well.

I have 15 KB discs and I dig them all. I can't really pick a favorite but 'Introducing Kenny Burrell - The First Blue Note Sessions' definitely deserves a mention!
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 03-16-2011 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Blues:The Common Ground, Blues Bash w/ Jimmy Smith and A Generation Ago Today get a lot of play at my house.

User Info Menu

How many albums has he done like leader, sideman or just for the comping ?
    I don't know the number, but it's very amazing !

For me, he's the reference of the jazz-blues.

excellent with Ike quebec (soul samba), Jimmy Smith(blue bash, organ grinder), Stanley Turrentine(Hustlin', Midnight Blue),...

I enjoy listening the albums : 'Round Midnight, All day long/All night long.
    The title "All of You" from the eponymous album is fantastic.

User Info Menu

More than any other guitarist, Kenny is the one who got me excited about playing jazz guitar. Not the most 'flashy' or technical player, but with a terrific character and groove to his playing.

My personal favorite KB album: Blue Lights, vol. 1 & 2

User Info Menu

When people ask me about my playing, I usually reply that I try to sit in that comfortable chair between Kenny Burrell and Grant Green.

KB has technique, soul, groove, sound!! Yep, the lot, the full package.

Yes I am a fan, was it that obvious?

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell has a very melodic style.

He's great.

User Info Menu

I like his work with Jimmy Smith, esp "Back At The Chicken Shack." "Midnight Blue" is classic, of course, but that's been mentioned. I had a "Best Of" at one point that I now miss.

User Info Menu

I'll jump on this train, he is a fantastic musician!

User Info Menu

He's polished, precise and tasteful. He can take a simple blues progression and really make it sing and swing.

User Info Menu

One of the greats. Impeccable taste, swing and feel.

User Info Menu

Just started listening to his work recently, and I fell in love! Such an elegant and unique player! He has quickly become one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nado64

excellent with Ike quebec (soul samba).

That's an excellent record, ain't it?

I love Kenny's "All Day Long" and "All Night Long," with the Prestige All-Stars...

I'm also wear out his record with JC, the live village vanguard trio record, and as a sideman on Stanley Turrentine's "Hustlin'" and Thad Jones' "New York/Detroit Connection (or is that Detroit/New York?)

User Info Menu

My first jazz album..(yes vinyl) and I still play it weekly...

Kenny Burrell..Midnight Blue...I was hooked....in 1966...in California

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Fourmost with Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine, & Grady Tate is a great one as are Kenny's live albums Midnight At The Village Vanguard and 12-15-78.

Also:

Lotus Blossom
    The Cats with Coltrane and Tommy Flanagan.
    'Round Midnight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    Fourmost with Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine, & Grady Tate is a great one as are Kenny's live albums Midnight At The Village Vanguard and 12-15-78.

Also:

Lotus Blossom
    The Cats with Coltrane and Tommy Flanagan.
    'Round Midnight
    Just got "The Cats" on CD a few months ago. Have it on vinyl too. Great record. Picked "Minor Mishap" off of it, but still have to write down the head.

User Info Menu

I've been transcribing a bunch of KB blues lately.....really great stuff!

User Info Menu

Like an old friend's voice, one that you are always glad to hear. Warm, intelligent, hip, sometimes strong and sometimes soft. It is always there when you need it.

User Info Menu

My first jazz guitar album (LP)..was "Midnight Blue"...bought in 1965...still play it once or twice a week..

oh the sounds of the needle in the grooves...

my major influence...

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Kenny is one of my early influences. I like that he also plays on acoustic nylon and acoustic steel string guitars. A good example of this is the album "Moon and Sand". On one of the tracks he does a version of Blue Bossa with a bridge section. Never heard this on any other recordings of Blue Bossa and haven't seen any lead sheets that have it. Makes me wonder if maybe Kenny composed the bridge?
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 06-10-2012 at 05:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Great sounding Blue Bossa. thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard
    My first jazz guitar album (LP)..was "Midnight Blue"...bought in 1965...still play it once or twice a week..

oh the sounds of the needle in the grooves...

my major influence...

time on the instrument...pierre
    Pierre,
    'Midnight Blue' is my go to album for studying the different forms of the jazz blues. Some really cool tracks in there that are very 1960's, but it's the era I grew up in and that's where it's at for me musically
    BTW, glad to know that I'm not the only one that still enjoys spinning the old vinyls

User Info Menu

Yeah, Midnight Blue!
    It's the kind of record you can put on if you need inspiration to work on your blues, or just for the sheer listening enjoyment.
    However, I've been listening to it the most in the autumn when it gets dark and rainy with some good whiskey to go with it. That's the therapeutic use of it.

I'm one of these new kids who's arrogant enough to listen to it on Compact Disc. I haven't found it on vinyl yet, though I can believe listening to it to be quite profound!

To me, Kenny is one of the jazz guitar greats.

User Info Menu

Glad you guys agree that Kenny is where it's at. I was lucky enough to get to spend time with him off and on when he first started teaching at UCLA around 1980. My guitar hero, to be sure. I love other players as well, but I always come back to Kenny.

User Info Menu

Does anyone happen to know whether Kenny always used a pick or if he ever used finger and/or thumb? I was listening to the nylon string stuff on Moon and Sand and thought it might be fingers.