The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

Is there anyone out there that can play guitar like Keith Jarrett plays piano? I've been listening to him a lot these days to get a different perspective on certain standards as opposed to concentrating on guitar versions. This guy is really, really good. Thick chords, & unusual voicings. I like that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In a word... No.

User Info Menu

Wolfgang Muthspiel and Lage Lund have released brilliant "standards" albums (Muthspiel's is called "real book stories", lund's "standards") but nobody plays the guitar like Jarrett plays the piano!

But if you're looking for some really forward-looking re-imaginations of some old chestnuts by guitarists, these aren't a bad place to look...both out of print but available on iTunes.

User Info Menu

Jarrett's amazing but that singing/scatting has got to go! I find some of his live recordings unbearable because of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Jarrett's amazing but that singing/scatting has got to go! I find some of his live recordings unbearable because of it.
    Oscar Peterson, Glenn Gould -- what's with pianists?

User Info Menu

he's been doing that for 40 years... so did glenn gould...
    even their producers couldn't change it... so who are we to tell him ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Oscar Peterson, Glenn Gould -- what's with pianists?
    Sorry but Jarrett's scatting sounds like someone is strangling a cat. If I hear it for more than a few measures, I have to skip to another track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oneworld
    he's been doing that for 40 years... so did glenn gould...
    even their producers couldn't change it... so who are we to tell him ?
    The guy is an amazing musician but imo (and that's all it is!) his scatting is horrible. Maybe his producers were too scared to say anything lol.

It's great to hear that some people actually enjoy the sound of him screeching and moaning as he plays.
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 02-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Oh yeah, lol! That "yaaaaaaaaaa" right before or after a hot passage. I can do w/out that. If you trust Wikipedia at all, it seems he's quite an ass about noises like coughing & such at his gigs. I wonder if he's ever thrown himself out of one of his shows?

User Info Menu

Just an FYI that Wolfgang Muthspiel album "Real Book Stories" is killer. I will give Mr. B a big thumbs up for that one!

User Info Menu

I would suggest transcribing some passages and play whatever is possible.
    I do that occasionally with pianists and find it very informative.

User Info Menu

Kurt Rosenwinkel stated in a clinic that I saw him in that he was transposing a lot of Keith at the time.
    Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but, Keith isn't trying to scat when he's making those noises. He likened it to the whistle of a pressure release valve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    ...That "yaaaaaaaaaa" right before or after a hot passage. I can do w/out that...it seems he's quite an ass about noises like coughing & such at his gigs.
    True on both counts. Saw him in Dublin in the early '80s and he stopped playing because the audience clapped during a solo. Great player but the distractions spoil the music.

The guy is an amazing musician but imo (and that's all it is!) his scatting is horrible. Maybe his producers were too scared to say anything lol.

It's great to hear that some people actually enjoy the sound of him screeching and moaning as he plays.
    I've probably listened to more Keith Jarrett than I have to any other jazz artist, but I seriously doubt if anyone likes his vocalizations. It's got to be more that they're willing to tolerate it rather than miss out on his music.

User Info Menu

It didn't used to bother me, but having heard so many complaints about it, it has started to really bother me too!

User Info Menu

Can anyone thing of a jazz guitarist who subconsciously vocalizes like that?

(Waiting for the George Benson jokes )

User Info Menu

I'll tell you what bothers me more than Jarrett: Metheny's faces. WTF is up with that? Like somebody is amputating his leg or something. It is endless. Putting some emotion into your playing is one thing. The endless emotion of saying good-bye to your leg without anesthetic is another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jster
    I'll tell you what bothers me more than Jarrett: Metheny's faces. WTF is up with that? Like somebody is amputating his leg or something. It is endless. Putting some emotion into your playing is one thing. The endless emotion of saying good-bye to your leg without anesthetic is another.
    Is this a little beside the point? Judging a person and whether they appeal to you as an artist by what they look like? I'm sure it's not something they can really help, nor might they want to. Pet peeves aside, there are so many obstacles to be overcome to be an passable, no less exceptional expressive artist, what is about a person's look that's so repugnant that it becomes off putting? I've heard the same comments about (trumpeter) Tom Harrell, and pianist Michel Petrucciani and others with regards to skin pigment, or stage manner.
    If they had video technology in the time of Beethoven and we found out he hummed or had a bad stage presence, would it taint our ability to appreciate his genius?
    I'm just curious as to where this prejudice comes from.
    I am genuinely curious.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Can anyone think of a jazz guitarist who subconsciously vocalizes like that?

(Waiting for the George Benson jokes )
    Yes, plenty. But for a large part, recordings tend to be mic'd off the amp so our recorded legacy doesn't register it. There are two I know of off the top of my head: One is an absolute brilliant player, conceptual genius who Bill Frisell acknowledges to be a major force in his life, another is an amazing chord soloist who was Kurt Rosenwinkel's teacher for a significant era of Kurt's life.
    But in answer to your question, yes there are more than you'd think. Kurt himself has been known to vocalize on occasion...
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Is this a little beside the point?
    Didn't seem like the most focussed discussion. Didn't mean to derail it. But to answer your general question in the case of Metheny, he looks like he is in a lot of pain and it is a human reaction to respond to pain and as such it is distracting. Of course he is a musician and not an actor. But he is on stage. If he came on wearing an orange jumpsuit or played with his mouth wide open, those would be equally distracting. To call it prejudice is far fetched. Presumably he has some control over it. If he didn't that would be another matter. But he has every right to continue doing it. And I have every right to find it distracting. But here is no moral failure on anybody's part.

User Info Menu

But he has every right to continue doing it. And I have every right to find it distracting. .
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. I do appreciate it. I'm always curious about things people do, how and why they react. This human family is still a mystery to me. And I'll add one thing, there was a girl I knew once, she'd make funny faces like that at certain times in certain situations. Afterwords she would smile though. It only seemed like she was in pain, it really was OK.
    David

Honestly when i see metheny making these faces i just see someone whos totally in love with playing music.

User Info Menu

Just heard one of the trio's recent live recordings "Yesterdays." The last track is "Stella By Starlight" and is an add on which was recorded at the sound check. Best far the best track on the album. A stunning reading of one of my all time favorite tunes. The playing is made truly enjoyable because the groaning and scatting is absent. All the other tracks from the concert feature great playing but it's spoiled for me, as usual, by the vocal annoyances. He should release one called "Shut Up and Play Yer' Piano."

User Info Menu

After having bought (and listened to) almost every single one of Keith Jarrett's albums, mainly those of the superlative Trio with Jack De Johnette and Gary Peacock, since the Koln Concert (don't have the Sun Bear ones though), I have learnt to listen past his vocalisations. It is not Keith Jarrett without it. I don't find it annoying now. Trouble is, Keith can't shut up and still play the piano. I believe he's tried.

Let us not forget Jack De Johnette and Gary Peacock, not sidemen at all. I believe that they bring out the best in each other.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-12-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    After having bought (and listened to) almost every single one of Keith Jarrett's albums, mainly those of the superlative Trio with Jack De Johnette and Gary Peacock, since the Koln Concert (don't have the Sun Bear ones though), I have learnt to listen past his vocalisations. It is not Keith Jarrett without it. I don't find it annoying now. Trouble is, Keith can't shut up and still play the piano. I believe he's tried.

Let us not forget Jack De Johnette and Gary Peacock, not sidemen at all. I believe that they bring out the best in each other.
    +1