The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Always preferred listening to pianists and sax players. And vocalists for that matter. Jarrett being an absolute favourite (not the vocalist part, but it never bothered me). Sheer harmonic and melodic beauty!

It also forces you to seek other ways than the typical language that players of your own instrument often posesses from technical reasons.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Judging by untold number of Japanese concerts over 3 decades the Japanese don't seem to mind KJ's harmonic offerings.

Personally, he's my favorite jazz piano ballad player. His classical background and harmonic knowledge allows him to interweave harmonies, throughout most of his ballads, that's uniquely KJ. I own just about every KJ Trio recording, and have transcribed more KJ ballads than those of any other player.

We pianists don't expect guitarists to understand KJ
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-06-2013 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I've always been a huge Jarrett fan. I have most of his recorded output, but not all. I even bought Sun Bear Concerts, Hyms, and Sphere's and many of the excessive stuff. Much of it is excessive. Who else would have the audacity to include about 3 or 4 minutes of applause and the end of tunes? But I gotta love him.

If you love Jarrett, be sure to also check out Brad Mehldau!

User Info Menu

I'm going to see Jarret in concert for the first time later this month. Pretty stoked!

User Info Menu

I think I've seen him three times. One solo concert and two with the Standards trio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I'm going to see Jarret in concert for the first time later this month. Pretty stoked!
    What's this? KJ elected to come to the zoo? That's a surprise!

You'll have a gas man. Over the past 20 years, here in Seattle, I've seen the trio some 4 times. Gary is getting older, so I'd jump at the chance to catch the trio.

Speaking of 'ballad gems', here's a rare upload of an early 90's small club gig, 'Live at The Deerhead Inn', near KJ's Allentown, PA home town. My first KJT transcription...had to have it.

Thanks for listening.
    I'm still woodshedding the solo improv.
    KJ Prism E CHART-Guitar.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    Is there anyone out there that can play guitar like Keith Jarrett plays piano? I've been listening to him a lot these days to get a different perspective on certain standards as opposed to concentrating on guitar versions. This guy is really, really good. Thick chords, & unusual voicings. I like that.
    I know only one guy who is comparable to Keith Jarrett, or even better: Brad Mehldau. ...wait...... he is a pianist :-(

jokes aside, if your goal to find standards on guitar, which are really add something new harmonic idea to the original, (and you are keep reading this forum) I recommend Rosenwinkel, JVR and Kreisberg. You do not have to love the impros, just focus on the head, and catch the mood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elliotfreedman

Thanks for listening.
    I'm still woodshedding the solo improv.
    KJ Prism E CHART-Guitar.pdf
    Beautifully done Elliot!

User Info Menu

Jule Malischke I wouldn't say her style is always Keith Jarrett but this piece by Simeon Iannarelli is in that vein.

User Info Menu

Jule’s video said “tribute to Keith Jarrett.” Interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Jule’s video said “tribute to Keith Jarrett.” Interesting
    That is the name of the composition.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk