The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
    Anyone else heard of him? I love his style, very tasteful and deliberate. Just thought I'd share.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wonderful player. Patskywriter, who posts on here, hosts a radio show in Durham, NC and she interviewed him.

User Info Menu

Great player and has some excellent guitar books and classes.

User Info Menu

thanks for that, paynow.

howard's playing is phenomenal and he's a super-nice guy!
    here's his home page: Howard Morgen: Home

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    thanks for that, paynow.

howard's playing is phenomenal and he's a super-nice guy!
    here's his home page: Howard Morgen: Home
    Pat,

Great interview; I heard it back in August. Is there anyway to still hear it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Pat,

Great interview; I heard it back in August. Is there anyway to still hear it?
    thanks for your kind words! i have the file on my hard drive and i tried to upload it to my blog. however, the file was too big. is there a way to compress it or something?

User Info Menu

You can change the bit rate of the recording to the lowest option you have. If it's just conversation this won't affect the quality too badly.

Also if you have it as .WAV change it to .mp3 which is smaller.

What format is it? Do you have a recording programme that you can remix it on, in a different format, or at a lower bit rate?

User Info Menu

Good advice from Banksia; try that and if it doesn't work for some reason I may be able to jerry rig something to make it happen.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Howard. Round Midnight is remarkable. There's a college education in his chord choices.

Best to all,

Sandy

User Info Menu

i figured it out! i uploaded the howard morgen interview to my soundcloud account. hope this works:

Last edited by patskywriter; 02-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.

User Info Menu

i figured it out! i uploaded the howard morgen interview to my soundcloud account. hope this works:

Sounds great Pat! That would have been my solution, or something along those lines. I've never heard of soundcloud but I'll have to bookmark it for future use.

I'm going to listen to this again with my morning coffee.

User Info Menu

howard is a great player and great teacher, one of the best!

User Info Menu

He had a regular column in Guitar Player many years ago. So many great articles. I collected them for years in a folder, there's enough there for a small book. Check them out if your library has them.
    There is an out of print publication of some of these.
    Howard Morgen - 10 From Guitar Player
    Shame they're not easily out there.
    David

User Info Menu

If you go to Justjazzguitar.com and click on the videos, you can see Howard explaining some of his ideas from his dvds.

User Info Menu

I just started Howard Morgen's TrueFire course, "Fingerboard Breakthrough". Howard is a very good teacher.

User Info Menu

Did you continue with Howard Morgen's Fingerboard Breakthrough? Opinions? Did it help our playing a lot?

Larry

User Info Menu

It was just posted on a Usenet forum that Howard Morgen has just passed away.

User Info Menu

OMG! How sad and what a loss. I thought something might be up as I had emailed him around a month ago and there was no response. That was not characteristic of him. I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

User Info Menu

howard was battling leukemia, but his death was actually due to a terrible fall in the bathroom. he lay unresponsive, in the hospital, for a few days until his unfortunate demise. i got to speak to him a week before he died.

RIP howard.

his wife would probably be comforted by cards. i hesitate to list her address on the internet, but if anyone would like to address a card to "estelle morgen" and send it to me (c/o pat murray, 1910 capps st, durham nc 27707), i'll take it to her house. thanks.
    Last edited by patskywriter; 02-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw this thread pop up before this sad news was posted, and went to watch some videos of Howard. Such a great player and wonderful teacher. Rest In Peace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larryb
    Did you continue with Howard Morgen's Fingerboard Breakthrough? Opinions? Did it help our playing a lot?

Larry
    I was going along great but then my S.A.D. kicked in around the end of November. I'm usually out of focus from mid-December until the beginning of March. I'm just getting back to his course. The course has many very useful insights and fresh ways of looking at the fretboard. He makes the various 4-note 7th chord forms seem natural and easier to memorize.

All I need to do is spend winters in Florida and I'll be productive with my guitar studies 12 months out of the year.

Ed S.

User Info Menu

howard was battling leukemia, but his death was actually due to a terrible fall in the bathroom. he lay unresponsive, in the hospital, for a few days until his unfortunate demise. i got to speak to him a week before he died.

RIP howard.

his wife would probably be comforted by cards. i hesitate to list her address on the internet, but if anyone would like to address a card to "estelle morgen" and send it to me (c/o pat murray, 1910 capps st, durham nc 27707), i'll take it to her house. thanks.
    Pat,

When did he pass away ?

Perhaps you could just relay to his wife the admiration and respect you're seeing from the guitar community upon news of his death. Perhaps start a separate thread; I realize my RIP message is buried in this thread.

Phil

User Info Menu

I'm shocked and filled with sadness to hear these horrible news! I've admired Howards playing for a long time. I got in touch with him on YouTube and he even complemented my playing. He was such a down to earth guy, lovely person, a giant musician.
    Just listen to him play. Beautiful lush harmonies and a warm touch and tone.

May he rest in peace.

User Info Menu

I used Howard Morgen's Concepts method book to develop chord-melody playing. It's very clear and very well thought out. The arrangements are so well conceived that you can play them right off the page, but also are useful in developing your own style. My only minor quibble is that he often reharmonized tunes to take advantage of guitar fingerings, so many of the standards in Concepts aren't in their original keys. But still it's a wonderful book.

User Info Menu

Oh man, oh man, oh man. I was almost afraid to open this thread. A sense of foreboding and then I came to the end of it and learnt that Howard has passed on.

Thanks for all the great tunes and education, Howard. You enriched more lives than you can ever imagine.