The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell also appears on the Ginger Baker Trio record, "Going Back Home". Ginger Baker was the drummer who formed Cream with Eric Clapton. He plays jazz now after a long hiatus. really good stuff. Charlie Haden on acoustic bass.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turtl3
    Bill Frisell also appears on the Ginger Baker Trio record, "Going Back Home". Ginger Baker was the drummer who formed Cream with Eric Clapton. He plays jazz now after a long hiatus. really good stuff. Charlie Haden on acoustic bass.
    Hi Turtl3
    No disrespect to Charlie Haden or Bill Frisell but I have to disagree with you about Ginger Baker playing jazz. He's about as subtle as a cat in a dustbin (garbage can), always has been. I quote GB from an interview way back when, he was asked what lay behind his drumming technique and he replied, "I don't know man, I just hit 'em". The only jazz cat in Cream was Jack Bruce, the other two just don't have the depth to cut it. In my honest opinion, of course.

Powertools with Ronald Shannon Jackson on drums, Frisell & Melvin Gibbs on bass puts Ginger to shame. High energy drumming with funk & subtlety. Check out YouTube - Kanaal van bathoshue

User Info Menu

I think a couple things that make Frisell different from many of his peers is the fact that he comes from a pop music angle. Even the western swing and avant guarde stuff has a very simple straight forward approach. Melody lines are almost always stressed(versus bebop, rhythmic or harmonic tendencies). His clear guitar tone(not the rounded off tone of a jazz box) demands a lighter attack and keeps his playing quite gentle. This leads to the sweetness of his attack. He often does chord solos starting with a bass note followed by a chord THEN the single note melody line....it creates a lot of the suspense and understated sweetness of his playing. As far as figuring out his style....He doesn't have to be able to teach his style for you to be able to mimic it. Simply pick his stuff out by ear. The only negative thing I can say about him is that he is always turned up too loud(live) versus the other members on stage....yet again it seems to help him to understate and play more gentle and tentative.

User Info Menu

I can see what you mean that Ginger is not as subtle as some others, but I kind of like the straight forward style of it. I have experiment with my tone and I can't seem to get what I am looking for with what I have. It might be that I am playing out of a Peavy TKO bass amp, but I have a crybaby pedal(which I am reluctant to use for jazz because I never heard anyone doing it) and a tweak fuzz pedal that I have from when I used to play melodic rock (Weezer type stuff) with in high school. What is a good pedal to get that nice warm jazz tone?