The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90

User Info Menu

Wondering if there are any jazz player's out there that you knowledgeable people here know of who use light strings? I heard a rumor once about John Abercrombie using 9's but don't know if its more than just a rumor. Anyway, to me "light strings" means 10's or lighter. Anybody know of any player's?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double 07
    Wondering if there are any jazz player's out there that you knowledgeable people here know of who use light strings? I heard a rumor once about John Abercrombie using 9's but don't know if its more than just a rumor. Anyway, to me "light strings" means 10's or lighter. Anybody know of any player's?
    Hi Double 07,
    Is the guitar that's avatar what you use? If so, why would you put light strings on her?
    I don't have a problem with light strings. I use 10's on my solid bodies.
    Sorry, the pic is so small that I can't tell what it is, but from the look of her... 11's at least!
    Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

No, my jazz hollow bodies get heavier strings 11, 12, or 13's and usually flatwound but not always flatwound. Maybe we should limit this discussion to player's who also play jazz or fusion on solid bodies; like Abercrombie, Goodrick, Henderson, Scofield, Frisell etc, etc. I'm kinda new here, is this just a straight ahead only forum or?

Oh and the guitar in the avatar is a Peerless Monarch and NO she's not in the running to have light gauge strings put on her by the way. lol That's just an avatar pic from the internet.
    Last edited by Double 07; 10-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell using "11" at now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double 07
    No, my jazz hollow bodies get heavier strings 11, 12, or 13's and usually flatwound but not always flatwound. Maybe we should limit this discussion to player's who also play jazz or fusion on solid bodies; like Abercrombie, Goodrick, Henderson, Scofield, Frisell etc, etc. I'm kinda new here, is this just a straight ahead only forum or?

Oh and the guitar in the avatar is a Peerless Monarch and NO she's not in the running to have light gauge strings put on her by the way. lol That's just an avatar pic from the internet.
    Apparently, Henderson and Frisell use 11's.
    Scofield uses 13's!
    Abercrombie weighs in at 10-46. The lightweight so far.
    Can't find any info on Mick Goodrick.
    Hope that helps.

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Steve Kahn uses 9's on all of his guitars-including his main guitar who is 335, and 10's on his acoustics.
    Holdsworth uses 9's and 8's on some guitars.
    Metheny uses 11's.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall uses 9s apparently.

Abercrombie's guitar has 9s on them as well. I got to try his guitar and it was the most insanely low action I ever witnessed... not for me tbh but certainly an interesting set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    Jim Hall uses 9s apparently.

Abercrombie's guitar has 9s on them as well. I got to try his guitar and it was the most insanely low action I ever witnessed... not for me tbh but certainly an interesting set up.
    Are you sure Jim Hall is using 9's on those archtops?
    I suspected Abercrombie uses lights strings, but didn't know he used 9's.
    I was kind of feeling like a vimp using 011's...I have low action and 011's feel really light...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    Are you sure Jim Hall is using 9's on those archtops?
    I suspected Abercrombie uses lights strings, but didn't know he used 9's.
    I was kind of feeling like a vimp using 011's...I have low action and 011's feel really light...
    All the sources could find state that Jim Hall uses 11-50 strings.
    Jake, you sure about that?

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

depends on the sources. People I've talked to that know Jim personally all tell me he plays with light strings now in his elder years and are amazed he still gets the same sound. If you think about it, it makes sense, the man is almost 80 it can't be easy to play on medium strings.

I'd say it's something that probably changes a lot when you have a career that spans so long, I would imagine a time where he was playing on 13s.

User Info Menu

Jake, that makes sense. Plus, I'm sure Jim would still sound great no matter what he was playing.
    Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Jake, that makes sense. Plus, I'm sure Jim would still sound great no matter what he was playing.
    Cheers, Ron
    He would still sound like himself even playing a Stagg with 8's!
    My all-time favorite jazz-guitarist!

User Info Menu

I think we can all agree that you can get away with lighter strings on a solid body versus an archtop. And slightly lighter strings on a 25.5" scale versus 24.75" because of the scale's tension. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top is said to use 7s!

But what's the point? Use what works for you, right?

User Info Menu

As players get older some have hand issues and will go to lighter strings to take some stress off their hands. But in general Jazz is played fast, and little string bending so heavier strings are better, you're not chasing the string around when picking. Also Jazz want a fatter timbre for chording and again heavier string help there too. It's all personal preference use what plays and sounds right to your ear.

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert used 09s nickel roundwound on his tele.

User Info Menu

Thanks a million for all the great responses guys. The main reason I was asking is because I wanna listen to recording's of some players who use the light strings for jazz and listen to their tone. Now hopefully I can find some of those recordings and give 'em a listen. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Stern strings .11-.38. His third is a .15. Holdsworth's action in right on the fretboard. His fretboard is flat, no relief (or very little) in the neck. Abercrombie is very light. He uses his thumb to pick and cranks his amps up to do the work. They all sound full to me. The idea that you have to string heavy to get a good sound, well, these guys disprove that. However, I do feel that if you want a really big box jazztone then, yeah, going with .11's on up is way better. But Sco and Abercrombie, Stern, Frisell - to me these guys are all "hybrid" players. Their rock influences are there. To someone like Martino, there was no rock influence. So he'll stay with the heavier strings.

User Info Menu

The music and the tune needs often the efective thin sound.
    The 11's set has well balance.

User Info Menu

Mick Goodrick is using 9's.

User Info Menu

John Stowell uses .10s - 0.38s on his höfner.

User Info Menu

11's on a Takamine

User Info Menu

I recently tried .12 and .13 flatwounds on an Epiphone Dot Studio. Murderously hard to play for some reason and didn't sound that different to me, so I have .10 flatwounds on all my electrics now, pure nickel, and they sound exactly like I want. Bujt I STILL can't PLAY any better (I know THAT"S a matter of practice!!)

User Info Menu

The tone is very personal I guess... what I've noticed over the years, and this is just in general, is the "style" of players who use light strings, and/or solid body style guitars. Their phrasing, choice of note patterns, range etc... I believe the style you play is influenced during your learning years by what guitar and strings you use. I'm not making any references to good or bad, simply different. Best Reg

User Info Menu

"The tone is very personal..."

agree...to find "your" sound seems to be the evolution of many factors and experiments...for me at this time..a les paul with 10-46 work just fine...with minor amp and tone adjustments i can get jim hall to jimi hendirx without any pedals... perhaps this year santa will bring me a new tele...

play well
    wolf

User Info Menu

Just came across this. Mike Stern tallking about the strings he uses and his equipment too: