The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane.

You don't have to like all, or indeed any of them, but if you wanna be a jazzman, you gotta make it a lifelong goal to try to at least understand them all. After all, between them, they wrote the book......

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane.

You don't have to like all, or indeed any of them, but if you wanna be a jazzman, you gotta make it a lifelong goal to try to at least understand them all. After all, between them, they wrote the book......
    Thanks prince, that makes sense. I'll do that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Poppster
    I'm starting to get the impression that my musical understanding is somewhat 'primitive'.
    Don't worry about it Poppster, we all have to learn. An open and questioning mind is all you need, there will always be people around to help you fill in the gaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicalbodger
    Don't worry about it Poppster, we all have to learn. An open and questioning mind is all you need, there will always be people around to help you fill in the gaps.
    Thanks for the encouragement Bodger. I do try to keep an open mind, and
    I'm really looking forward to learning more!

User Info Menu

Hi Poppster!

I once heard an album version of 'Autumn Leaves' by Miles Davis & Cannonball Adderley. It sent shivers up my spine, yeah Miles playing was very simple and understated. But man! That tone! that feel! To me that one sitting was a huge musical experience!

Eddie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by merseybeat
    Hi Poppster!

I once heard an album version of 'Autumn Leaves' by Miles Davis & Cannonball Adderley. It sent shivers up my spine, yeah Miles playing was very simple and understated. But man! That tone! that feel! To me that one sitting was a huge musical experience!

Eddie
    The album's called "Somethin' Else" — it's almost on a par with Kind of Blue — same period. It's available on CD and should be in everyone's collection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwingSwangSwung
    His autobiography Miles should be required reading for every musician [warning - almost every sentence in the book is filled with profanity]. I really appreciate how he believed in himself and his music and fought through stereotypes to set the standard.
    Great read indeed! I came out of that book wanting to dislike Miles, feeling that he bullshitted his way through much of his life, you can sense that even in his re-telling of certain events he was putting a spin on things to make him seem more courageous, gallant or righteous than perhaps he was. But, dammit, there just ain't no denying that the man told the truth with his horn. Those tortured long notes that he held on to for way too long, yet come out at the end sounding inevitably right, that muted tone of his, the loose phrasing that no-one else could copy, the note choices, the interval choices... I mean, they're just to die for....
    Miles is the answer.

One of my old drum teachers used to have me play along with Miles' Kind of Blue all the time. I'd have to go home listen to it too. I didn't know what jazz is, and just wanted to beat on my drums, but I think it helps a lot with improvising. And watching the greats is one way to better your skills. Miles Davis is one of the greats!

User Info Menu

let's not forget the fact that miles had the talent to discover unknown musicians and to bring great musicians together... in fact, his rythm sections with paul chambers on bass are the definition of 'jazz' to me :-)

User Info Menu

oops, just read that Derek already mentionned this... well, proves my point ;-)