The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 74 of 74
    Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I just listened to the album for the second time and it is really growing on me. On the first run I thought „more of the same, only with Frisell added“, but on the second run, there is so much more going on beyond the usual Lage- and Frisell-isms. Melodically, rhythmically and interplay-wise sublime. A joy to listen to!

BTW while the videos are fine, I strongly recommend listening to the actual album for Frisell‘s contribution.
    Interesting perspective! While I was enjoying but not enamoured with Squint, this one grabbed me from the very beginning! I don't know if it is catchier or whatever, but man, I love it way more than Squint!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agreed. Better writing for sure. This as someone who’s never been able to get into his music (but appreciates the talent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I haven’t listened that much to Julian for a while. Not sure why. Went through a phase of listening to him a lot.

I do think he’s a great guitarist with a knack for coming up with music humans might want to listen to.

User Info Menu

I’d consider Julian and Pasquale to be at genius level. Totally different players but both are restless and unstoppable. I’m far from genius myself so I can’t pretend to fully appreciate everything they do. Some of it is way over my head. Such talent…

View With A Room feels great so far. Good call to have Frisell join.
    Last edited by Oscar67; 09-20-2022 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

A new example of unbelievable fluidity and dynamics:

Great to see him back on the Telecaster. It‘s his guitar.

User Info Menu

He has been working on that song for a while, as this clip from 2017 shows:

User Info Menu

He recorded it back in 2014/2015 on his acoustic solo album World‘s Fair and has been returning to it ever since.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=docsteve;1222880]He recorded it back in 2014/2015 on his acoustic solo album World‘s Fair and has been returning to it ever since.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk[/QUOTE

yes, one of his older songs but maybe one of his personal favorites.

User Info Menu

Copied this from TDPRI...

So, yeah. Saw Mr. Lage last week. He played his Telecaster for all but one song. He did not touch the Collings- it just sat there on it's stand.

The one song he didn't play the Telecaster? Some collector dude walked out mid-set wearing white gloves and handed Mr. Lage one of Charlie Christian's guitars. I don't know what the song was he played, but it was nice. He was obviously moved to be playing such an historic instrument. No strap- he sat down for that one! He did not drop it....

It was a good show- all new material, some of which was slightly challenging to listen too, in that "somewhat complicated jazz kind-of-way". Great guitarist, great band.

I was really fascinated by the drummer. Would love to play with someone who can do so much while playing so quietly...

User Info Menu

To me- and that’s just my 2cts- he sounds better on the Telecaster. The Collings is a fine guitar (as well as his old Jet), no doubt, but to my ears he‘s a real Teleguy.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    What Tele is that by the way? Not his usual Nacho (or maybe another Nachocaster)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    What Tele is that by the way? Not his usual Nacho (or maybe another Nachocaster)?
    He also has a Danocaster. IDK if that's what it is tho. It could easily be whateve tele(s) he's had... it's easy to swap a pickguard (to put a P90 in the neck).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    He also has a Danocaster. IDK if that's what it is tho. It could easily be whateve tele(s) he's had... it's easy to swap a pickguard (to put a P90 in the neck).
    Thanks, the Dano is now played by his wife.
    Julian Lage-25447360-eee2-43f1-b397-0d0d41f52f95-jpeg
    Just curious if he’s playing another Nachocaster

User Info Menu

Hey, Stefan. That's a different Nachocaster. Julian has 3. Two are blackguards. His original and the one with the P90 in the neck he's using now. Julian also has a 60's version with a rosewood board. Margaret has a Nacho-Strat.

I just reached out to Nacho and got the inside scoop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Hey, Stefan. That's a different Nachocaster. Julian has 3. Two are blackguards. His original and the one with the P90 in the neck he's using now. Julian also has a 60's version with a rosewood board. Margaret has a Nacho-Strat.

I just reached out to Nacho and got the inside scoop.
    Hey, thanks man!

User Info Menu

Before it's over, there's a good chance I'll be buying a 470JL. It just seems to be such a unique sounding instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Before it's over, there's a good chance I'll be buying a 470JL. It just seems to be such a unique sounding instrument.

Fat investment…jealous ;-)

User Info Menu

Fat investment…jealous ;-)
    Well, it wouldn't be an investment, even tho I'd likely get ALL my money back if I didn't like it. And I can only afford to be so "crazy" with spending an a couple of big-ticket items (I recently purchased a $5K PRS), because my mother passed this spring, and I came into a small inheritance. I figured what better way to spend some of it than on things that bring me joy. I can say "my parents bought it for me."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Perhaps the best pedal is the one used to tilt the amp back . I see a Strymon Flint, Big 1Preamp and what looks to be an Xotic pedal (the small one) Maybe an EP Booster? But that would be two boost pedals. Anybody know? Just curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Perhaps the best pedal is the one used to tilt the amp back . I see a Strymon Flint, Big 1Preamp and what looks to be an Xotic pedal (the small one) Maybe an EP Booster? But that would be two boost pedals. Anybody know? Just curious.
    That's a Ditto looper under the amp. The pedal next to the Shin-ei B1G 1 boost is a mini Turbo Tuner.

User Info Menu

Thanks, the Dano is now played by his wife.
    Margaret Glaspy has a unique sound. Here is a rig rundown where she talks about “her” Dano.

And here is a picture of my Dano. Sorry couldn’t resist.

Julian Lage-1db40270-f2f0-4be0-a3e7-ed5183628186-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Margaret Glaspy has a unique sound. Here is a rig rundown where she talks about “her” Dano.

And here is a picture of my Dano. Sorry couldn’t resist.

Julian Lage-1db40270-f2f0-4be0-a3e7-ed5183628186-jpeg
    Ron Ellis ;-)

User Info Menu

I saw Julian in New Haven about 5 or 6 years ago and he was awesome. Love his stuff with Nels Cline.