The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 74

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sammo
    I found just this -- Julian playing solo guitar on radio/tv during Montreux Jazz Festival 2010. Pretty incredible (second half is his Etude #1 I think):

Following links on the right -- Umbria Jazz Festival 2010:

What a great player!
    Wow! I've noticed he is great with "acoustic" stuff. His "gypsy" vocab/approach is fresh and not generic like a lot of gypsy jazz shredders. He also has bluegrass stuff!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Check out two fresh videos, Julian Lage and Frank Vignola.

Nuages:

Caravan:

User Info Menu

anybody knows what string gauges he uses , the one on his main archtop seem very dynamic a low gauge to my ears .

User Info Menu

11's on the archtop. Probably heavier on acoustics. The dynamicism comes from his playing and technique. Not the strings

User Info Menu

In the last few years Julian has developed focal motor dystonia in his left hand. He seems to have overcome it, but I wonder if that is not part of his switch to a Tele. I saw him a couple months ago, touring in support of "Arclight." Great show- Julian played a 50s Tele into what appeared to be a vintage tweed Princeton. The band was practically telepathic, some really riveting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    In the last few years Julian has developed focal motor dystonia in his left hand. He seems to have overcome it, but I wonder if that is not part of his switch to a Tele. I saw him a couple months ago, touring in support of "Arclight." Great show- Julian played a 50s Tele into what appeared to be a vintage tweed Princeton. The band was practically telepathic, some really riveting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think so. When I spoke with him he simply said he loves his archtop, but it always sounded different when plugged into an amp. He said he considered the Tele and the amp as one instrument, so it was nice to plug up and be ok with the sound.

User Info Menu

Julian's talent is just limitless i'm mezmerized by how he reached such a high level!!

User Info Menu

Julian is a great player - I was fortunate to see him in a performance with Martin Taylor. They each did a solo set, and then played the last few tunes of the evening together. Very tasteful performance, and, obviously not lacking in technique - a great guitar concert at the Savannah Music Fest several years ago...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just found this wonderful video of a yet unreleased song called Auditorium. It starts at around the 3 minute mark and Julian just blows that thing out of the park.

User Info Menu

Nice find!!! Man, do I LOVE the sound of his new Collings! I really want one, just not sure I could bring myself to write the check!

I notice he's sitting on a MityLite Flex One chair... best folding chair EVER, has been mentioned in the "chair/stool" threads here... I have a cheap Home Depot copy of it, and even the copy is awesome, most comfortable chair for playing I have ever found.

User Info Menu

This is one of my favorite duets; they also have a fantastic album together:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Nice find!!! Man, do I LOVE the sound of his new Collings! I really want one, just not sure I could bring myself to write the check!

I notice he's sitting on a MityLite Flex One chair... best folding chair EVER, has been mentioned in the "chair/stool" threads here... I have a cheap Home Depot copy of it, and even the copy is awesome, most comfortable chair for playing I have ever found.
    I picked up a used DeArmond M77T in trade for a guitar I had for sale. It's pretty heavy (for a chambered instrument), and I hadn't been playing it much as a result.

I put it up for sale locally a few weeks ago.

I saw a video of Julian playing his signature Collings. It made me pull my DeArmond out and play it for a bit.

Needless to say, my guitar is no longer for sale - it has pretty much the features of his signature guitar - original USA DeArmond 2000 pickups (which the Ellisonic pickups were based on), the Bigsby bridge. Such an incredible tone - and like you, I don't have 8K to throw at another guitar.

Julian Lage-img_1508-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    I picked up a used DeArmond M77T in trade for a guitar I had for sale. It's pretty heavy (for a chambered instrument), and I hadn't been playing it much as a result.

I put it up for sale locally a few weeks ago.

I saw a video of Julian playing his signature Collings. It made me pull my DeArmond out and play it for a bit.

Needless to say, my guitar is no longer for sale - it has pretty much the features of his signature guitar - original USA DeArmond 2000 pickups (which the Ellisonic pickups were based on), the Bigsby bridge. Such an incredible tone - and like you, I don't have 8K to throw at another guitar.

Julian Lage-img_1508-jpg
    That's a pretty sweet guitar! I dig it!

Another track from the album, called Chavez. This might push Auditorium off the top of my ranking this album's tracks. Incredible playing all around! I love how they all seem to be having so much fun, watch the band at around 1:50.

User Info Menu

The album version is on Apple Music now, and has Frisell on it.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Saw this Pop up thanks to the algorithm.
    Rhett has quite a broad following outside of Jazz circles.
    This sort of exposure can only be good for Julian

His live video of Tributary commentated through the eyes of someone outside of Jazz Optics.

Cheers
    M

User Info Menu

JL's playing on that tune brought this to mind:

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple — that's creativity."

-- Charles Mingus

User Info Menu

I have to admit I have gone off Julian's playing a bit. Since "Arclight" and the live followup recording (which is my favorite of his) it seems that he's been stuck in a sameness- although a sameness that I would consider surrendering a body part or two to achieve. He has both technical fluidity and a flow of ideas that is just remarkable, but the clanging tone has worn thin for me. So I have more than a bit of cognitive dissonance about his playing. It seemed like there was a lot more variety in his projects before "Arclight" ("State Fair," collaborations with Critter, Cline, Hersch, etc.). I am going to check out the recording with Frisell, another player I have a lot of cognitive dissonance around. There was some remarkable stuff in that live duo set they did, which is on YouTube (and some stuff that didn't grab me).

I suppose the hallmark of a great artist in any medium is that they challenge to audience to keep up with them. You can't just paint the Mona Lisa or The Starry Night over and over. So Julian doesn't sound like he used to sound, and five years from now will sound different again.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 09-05-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I have to admit I have gone off Julian's playing a bit. Since "Arclight" and the live followup recording (which is my favorite of his) it seems that he's been stuck in a sameness- although a sameness that I would consider surrendering a body part or two to achieve. He has both technical fluidity and a flow of ideas that is just remarkable, but the clanging tone has worn thin for me. So I have more than a bit of cognitive dissonance about his playing. It seemed like there was a lot more variety in his projects before "Arclight" ("State Fair," collaborations with Critter, Cline, Hersch, etc.). I am going to check out the recording with Frisell, another player I have a lot of cognitive dissonance around. There was some remarkable stuff in that live duo set they did, which is on YouTube (and some stuff that didn't grab me).

I suppose the hallmark of a great artist in any medium is that they challenge to audience to keep up with them. You can't just paint the Mona Lisa or The Starry Night over and over. So Julian doesn't sound like he used to sound, and five years from now will sound different again.
    Funnily enough I still haven't listened to much of "Love Hurts" or "Modern Lore" yet, but I have to agree that - while there are some wonderful moments and songs on it - "Squint" hasn't grabbed me quite like "Arclight" did. I feel like a lot of Julian's newer playing is what he once said as being sort of conversational. Sometimes it can be hard to grab on to the conversation if you will.

That said, what we've heard so far from his new album is simply amazing to me. I feel like there is much more "sonic" variety than on Squint. If the album keeps this up, this is a strong album of the year contender for me.

User Info Menu

„Tributary“ is a lesson in dynamic guitar playing. Out of this world.
    It is also an example for an unbelievable cool guitar tone. Amazing!

User Info Menu

I just listened to the album for the second time and it is really growing on me. On the first run I thought „more of the same, only with Frisell added“, but on the second run, there is so much more going on beyond the usual Lage- and Frisell-isms. Melodically, rhythmically and interplay-wise sublime. A joy to listen to!

BTW while the videos are fine, I strongly recommend listening to the actual album for Frisell‘s contribution.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by docsteve; 09-17-2022 at 08:36 AM.

User Info Menu