The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Gillian Welch spent a couple of years at Berklee, met David Rawlings and the rest is history....

Marty Stuart started as a 14 year old mandolin player for Lester Flatt...

Then there be Dwight.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey, Dwight is solid country, man. He might have recorded something in a bluegrass style but he ain't bluegrass, that's for sure. Any more than Prince was!

If anything, apart from country, he's done more punk than anything else...

But he's a hell of a songwriter. This is almost a perfect song. Bob Dylan used to sing it (badly) :-)

ITunes labels Molly Tuttle as "Americana". Emilou Harris , Nancy Griffith and others probably fall within this genre as well. . Again, I don't care and don't think it matters that much , aside from maybe helping you find similar music. A little different from straightahead bluegrass anyway.

Find your favorite track and click "song radio" in Spotify and explore. Faster than asking people on the Internet to be sure.

User Info Menu

Dwight Yoakum is California Country, specifically Bakersfield. There's a small subgenre of country music around there - Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, et al, and Yoakum is a follower of Owens. Haggard is actually more mainstream, having done a lot of western swing in the Bob Wills tradition. Country is a very broad category, with some very diverse styles mixed under the big tent. I consider much of it to be unlistenable, especially the newer rock-oriented stuff like bro-country, but some of it is great, and I listen to it all the time. Bluegrass is sort of in the middle for me, I can listen to it but I don't crave it or search it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Find your favorite track and click "song radio" in Spotify and explore. Faster than asking people on the Internet to be sure.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I just wondered whether there was some stylistic term that I wasn't familiar with, like "Appalachian Blues" or somesuch, that might help me narrow things down.

User Info Menu

Nowadays it's a wide open genre that's as much about musical approach and attitude, like jazz....

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-19-2019 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Nowadays it's a wide open genre that's as much about music approach and attitude, like jazz....
    Exactly -- hence my question!

The reality is that I can't stand about 95% of country, bluegrass included. The trick is to find that other 5% without having to subject myself or my loved ones to the remainder.

User Info Menu

Some nice bluegrass playing in this film (but I can't find the right clip).

User Info Menu

Well, if you mean this...

... I think it's bloody awful! Jim and Jesse are unquestionably bluegrass, originally anyway, but that thing sounds like a hokey, urban, contrived-for-a-movie country song with banjo for effect. Or something.

Did you know it was written by someone called Don Raye, better known for songs done by the Andrews Sisters (I jest not)... and Robert Mitchum! Well, he was a train hobo and went to jail, worked on a chain gang, etc, so he's seen some living. But nowhere near Appalachia, I suspect.

You're right, I hate it! Too bad, because Jim and Jesse are fine on their home ground.

User Info Menu

one of the modern masters..del mcCoury...doin the lovin spoonfuls ole chestnut-nashville cats-..which john sebastion wrote after seeing a young danny gatton performing in some hotel bar, after the spoonful had just played the biggest arena in town!

cheers

User Info Menu

neatomic -

See, that was great. Yeehaw! Smiling all the way through. That's how to do it!

How come these bluegrass guys can all sing so high? Some kind of genetic mutation? Appalachian Valley air? Nitrous oxide?

User Info Menu

A couple of top-notch steel players (mostly non pedal, just old-fashioned steel) who happen to be female are Cindy Cashdollar and Rose Sinclair.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hickory Wind is a great song but I can't find a decent version of it. There's a live Emmylou one which is okay (she normally does it too slow) but some others are awful. So I've done it myself. Excuse the cracked voice, I have a filthy cold :-)

User Info Menu

Gram does it too slow too, might have been a bad influence on Emmylou, even though he wrote it.

AJ Lee and the Tuttles do a bluegrass adaptation and drag it down also...

User Info Menu

Gillian Welch does this grindingly slow, depressive thing with it. And there are all the horribly insensitive raucous versions that abound. I was waiting for everyone to promptly start posting all their particular versions!

This is the Emmylou vid I thought just about passed the test. Maybe. It's still a bit slow. It's the sort of song that tempts the emotional types to milk it - but that doesn't work, it just sounds yukky and indulgent. Luckily Emmylou can do feeling without going off the deep end. Like 'Beneath Still Waters' and 'Making Believe'.

Sorry, the song's not really bluegrass but it lends itself to being played well in that style.

User Info Menu

Molly's style comes from Dan Crary a mostly solo flatpicker. Close your eyes and you would say it was Dan. Awesome player.

User Info Menu

Quick, name a famous male cellist.

Last edited by ragman1; 10-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Pablo Casals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    .... You don't see pianos or steel guitars in bluegrass bands.
    ...... or drums. Or trumpets, trombones, or saxes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Exactly -- hence my question!

The reality is that I can't stand about 95% of country, bluegrass included. The trick is to find that other 5% without having to subject myself or my loved ones to the remainder.
    I wish I liked bluegrass better than I do. It's kind of fun to play sometimes. I wouldn't have to lug an amp, and I could forget all those chords and complicated songs.

I went through a phase 10-15 years ago where I got into Merle Travis, Doc Watson, then John Fahey, etc. I would hear finger or flatpicked solos and think, wow, here's a different way to play guitar and be musical, and it seemed less intimidating than jazz chord melodies (and something different than playing Green Dolphin Street again). I thought there would be things that would be transferable, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    I wish I liked bluegrass better than I do. It's kind of fun to play sometimes. I wouldn't have to lug an amp, and I could forget all those chords and complicated songs.

I went through a phase 10-15 years ago where I got into Merle Travis, Doc Watson, then John Fahey, etc. I would hear finger or flatpicked solos and think, wow, here's a different way to play guitar and be musical, and it seemed less intimidating than jazz chord melodies (and something different than playing Green Dolphin Street again). I thought there would be things that would be transferable, too.
    But this is why so many musicians of other styles gravitate to jazz, isn't it?, they want more than three chords and a nice tune. But, for all that, we nearly always go back to visit quite often :-)

User Info Menu

Safe to say that bluegrass is more popular than jazz, Live From Here with Chris Thile on NPR is a great gateway to connect to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    "Ya got time to breathe, ya got time for music." The wisdom of Briscoe Darling.

This might have been my introduction to bluegrass music. (I would have seen / heard this before the family moved to Nashville while I was still in elementary school.)

About which, a neighbor's uncle worked on "Hee-Haw" and there was some mighty fine picking on there.

Can't forget the Gospel side of things.... (The singer here is Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia.)