The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

The title says it all.

Listening to a great group from the 80's, the Del Lords. My roommate played this all the time, but I actually forgot about the band until some random googling brought up the name. It's named after the director of many of the 3 Stooges' shorts, in case you're wondering.

Great rootsy rock with excellent vocals, guitar work and an overall solid sound. Kind of like Bruce Springsteen crossed with Tom Petty. Never hit the big time, and disbanded, but came back together for some albums and shows over the years.

It's often not talent but timing and luck.

A couple of other groups/artists come to mind: Mudcrutch, the New York Dolls, the Late Bronze Age (Atlanta band), Scott Walker. Some of them are quite influential, or parts of them became famous later on. That might apply to the original Fleetwood Mac and even the early J Geils Band.

Any nominations for other great artist that should've hit the big time but didn't?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listening to Little Feat today—yes they got some recognition, but gosh they were one of the BEST bands of the 70’s. So much better than the Doobies, who had a similar style and got much more fame and money.

User Info Menu

I remember hearing The Soft Machine for the first time around 1968 when they opened for The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

They played some of the coolest music I had ever heard - so unique!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Anybody ever heard of "Rhinoceros"? Found two of their albums in a bargain bin in the seventies. Especially their first album is excellent - I still enjoy listening to it.

User Info Menu

I'm not very familiar with their music myself but I know the NRBQ are held in high regard.

User Info Menu

Jeremy and the Satyrs. Not a lot of guitar, but I used to double on flute, and Steig was an innovative player. Did an album with Bill Evans around the same time as this LP.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I remember hearing The Soft Machine for the first time around 1968 when they opened for The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

They played some of the coolest music I had ever heard - so unique!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Rock Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons
    I had some of the early Soft Machine albums. Cool stuff, and they were like a breeding ground for great innovative musicians--Allen Holdsworth, Robert Wyatt, Andy Summers, etc.

I think if you play avant-garde music in any genre you will always be a niche act. That just goes with the territory.

Reminds me of the Residents, whom I saw "live" in the early 80's. Extremely weird yet innovative band. Even to this day, the true identity of all the band members is not known. And don't forget Snakefinger.

User Info Menu

From Brazil...

Last edited by rictroll; 10-01-2019 at 10:29 PM.

User Info Menu

From New Zealand:

User Info Menu

Wishbone Ash. Always my favorite of the English progressive rock bands. Argus is a classic, but this album is also great.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure they qualify, but I'd say Fishbone? They sure had their momentum in the 90's, but by all means they should've become a household name in my book, just like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Sublime. In the 2000's I used to go to every show when they were in town, and to me it was unmatched by any other band I saw, they're just superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I'm not very familiar with their music myself but I know the NRBQ are held in high regard.
    Funny you mention them. I grew up in the same town as their current guitarist/singer Scott (blanking on his last name) and watched him play in numerous bands. Last one that I saw was called The River City Soul Revue and was all (70's)Stevie Wonder and other Motown, etc. It was one of those memorable bands everyone liked but just never went anywhere else but locally.

I remember he and another member (Josh) were at my place and I played them SRV's Austin City Limit's performance from PBS, and they were amazed by his playing. They of course knew who he was, but I don't think ever saw him play and were amazed by his technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I'm not sure they qualify, but I'd say Fishbone?
    If you like them, I'd add this band called The Urge. They were from St. Louis, and I saw them play when I was in college back in the later 80's. They eventually got some measure of fame, but I never really liked anything but their early stuff. If you can find it, "Putting the Backbone Back" is a masterpiece of funk and hard rock which I think came along at the same time as the Peppers and Fishbone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Reminds me of the Residents, whom I saw "live" in the early 80's. Extremely weird yet innovative band. Even to this day, the true identity of all the band members is not known. And don't forget Snakefinger.
    Have one residents LP, couldn't agree more about their innovativeness.

User Info Menu

Upon consideration I always come back to Gentle Giant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Upon consideration I always come back to Gentle Giant.
    ... and early works of Van der Graaf Generator

User Info Menu

Procol Harum were a great band, I saw them once. This is a wonderfully poetic song, still knocks me out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    dr feelgood. greatest rock n roll band ever.
    Haha that brings back memories, I saw Dr Feelgood once, amazing. I had this album, love the sound Wilko Johnson got out of his Tele on this track:

User Info Menu

The Meters are royalty in New Orleans but not as big as they should have been nationaly (IMHO).

(I always include this one becuase it's my favorite.)

User Info Menu

Okay, I don't think there is a universe in which they would be huge, but they made a few nifty records.
    I'll always treasure Tav for saying, "We appreciate the dogshit out of it, y'all."

User Info Menu

Howe Gelb wrote several good songs back in the late '80s / early '90s

User Info Menu

I'd be surprised if Bahari didn't blow up bigger soon. This girl can sing;

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In one portion of the rock universe, Big Star was a very influential band, but they were never, um, big stars, despite making some killer records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    In one portion of the rock universe, Big Star was a very influential band, but they were never, um, big stars, despite making some killer records.
    The lead singer btw was Alex Chilton who was in the Boxtops. A sixties band that had a few hits like
    The Letter and Cry Like a Baby which featured the electric sitar of recently departed Reggie Young.