Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 88

User Info Menu

I grew up and learned to play listening to Ventures, Lonnie Mack, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, and the original first generation surf stuff in the early/mid sixties. There was also Los Indios Tabajaras (sp), Herb Alpert, Chet, and others doing nice instrumental pop stuff - even Tony Mottola's pop albums. Whatever happened to this genre? I still like to hear/play it and some folks seem to like to listen to it. I do Apache, The Breeze and I, Walk Don't Run, Sleepwalk, plus some Shadows stuff on a regular basis and it brings back memories for some. I don't understand why this music is so out of favor.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
    I grew up and learned to play listening to Ventures, Lonnie Mack, Duane Eddy, Link Wray, and the original first generation surf stuff in the early/mid sixties. There was also Los Indios Tabajaras (sp), Herb Alpert, Chet, and others doing nice instrumental pop stuff - even Tony Mottola's pop albums. Whatever happened to this genre? I still like to hear/play it and some folks seem to like to listen to it. I do Apache, The Breeze and I, Walk Don't Run, Sleepwalk, plus some Shadows stuff on a regular basis and it brings back memories for some. I don't understand why this music is so out of favor.
    Not flashy enough is my guess...

It sounds quite old fashioned to the young folks although a lot of it is quite challenging to beginner/intermediate guitar players.
    I taught "Rumble" to a couple of teenagers and there's a lot in there for beginners: triplets, inserted 2/4 measures and such - stuff you'll be able to use further on down the road.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Hi Skip,

I think it's only out of favor because younger guitarists don't even know it exists.

I have a feeling that if they heard Lonnie Mack's version of Memphis, or The Surfaris playing Wipeout, or The Ventures playing Walk Don't Run, or Dick Dale's version of Misirlou they would think it was some very cool sounding guitar music.

It's hard to be excited about or interested in something that you've never heard!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Surf Guitar Music

User Info Menu

just out:

User Info Menu

Now that's tone. Extremely irritating, annoying tone, but tone nevertheless. I couldn't listen to all of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Now that's tone. Extremely irritating, annoying tone, but tone nevertheless. I couldn't listen to all of it.
    Same here, so it's not just me.
    Made me think to early Joe Satriani, in worse.

Listening to Brecker Brothers right now, if this can inspire some of you ...
    Make a jazz noise here

User Info Menu

Quentin Tarantino movie soundtracks are filled with instrumental pop rock and it's much more a part of pop culture and a musical influence than some are led to believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    just out:

High production-quality garbage IMO. It has all of the components of a good recording except music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat View Post
    High production-quality garbage IMO. It has all of the components of a good recording except music.
    My sentiments, too. I'm very traditional (probably too much so) and I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds.

User Info Menu

Godspeed You! Black Emperor:

Not quite in the lineage of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, but worth a listen. Guitars aplenty.

Also worth investigating is the style of progressive metal called Djent, especially Animals as Leaders, with their guitar on a stand:

User Info Menu

Dick Dale btw was very popular with the hip young crowd of today. If you listen to some latest work by Bill Frisell, or Julian Lage, that twangy American 60s sound is the direction they're going too.

My fav these days is this band Khruanghbin. The best music I've heard in a while in any genre.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"Ain't That Just Like A Woman" was a hit for Louis Jordan. BB King did a lot of Louis Jordan tunes but on this one, he left off the lyric. Still works....

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

This came later than most of the rock instrumentals mentioned here but it's a helluva performance of a great tune.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A jazzy blues gem (by Ray Bryant, IIRC) here given quite an electric workout.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

This was a gigantic hit back in '73.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Always liked this one

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    This was a gigantic hit back in '73.

funny, that's what I was going to post. It was a major reason I took up the drums around 5th or 6th grade
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Another early '70s instrumental that was a huge hit.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

It fell out of favor because it was pop music--either instrumental versions of vocal tunes or tunes written in the style of the day... and pop music changes with the times.

Can you imagine an instrumental version of today's pop music?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Not an old recording, but it's got "Apache" on it!

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Always liked this one

Santo & Johnny's first two LPs on Canadian-American records drove me nuts when they came out. I stole a bunch of ideas from them that I still use and still enjoy listening to them.

Around 1970 I bought a fender Stringmaster double since my band was playing some of those tunes. It weighed a ton and my wife hated it, so I soon sold it off.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A moody vid, ain't it? Nicely done.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Don't forget Freddy King....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    Don't forget Freddy King....

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I think a lot of rock fans dig this.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Danny W.

User Info Menu

A moody vid, ain't it? Nicely done.

THe Shadow's version of Apache was big in England, but in the US Jorgen Ingmann had the big hit with it, in a version he had multitracked all by himself:

I posted this in a thread about Zappa:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    During the '70's I really liked Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Chunga's Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh, but I never thought of them as jazz.

In '78 we were in a new house and looking for new audio equipment. I was using Altec-Lansing speakers for some gigs and wanted them for the house. I would go to a very nice high-end audio store, long out of business, and audition speakers with a variety of records. When I played Peaches En Regalia through Altec Model 19's at stage volumes, all the salesguys would run out of the room and not let anyone else in until I was done.

Photo of outcome:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit: While I still enjoy listening to some surf & instrumental hit music from time to time, my passion for early Zappa seems to have faded away.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W. View Post
    THe Shadow's version of Apache was big in England, but in the US Jorgen Ingmann had the big hit with it, in a version he had multitracked all by himself...
    My dad brought the Jørgen Inmann album home in the early 60’s and I played the dickens out of it. Wish I still had it. I think Echo Boogie was my favorite track. That’s probably the seed that prompted me to take up guitar a few years later.

User Info Menu

Many great instrumentals in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and many more. Many written by Ennio Morricone. No idea who played the guitar on any of them. Popular as cellphone ringtones.

User Info Menu

Herb Alpert and the er... Wrecking Crew.

User Info Menu

I used to own that LP. Maybe still do, I haven't gone through the collection in a long time.

User Info Menu

Duke Levine has been keeping the instrumental pop/rock flame burning around Boston. I think he’s about to release an album or EP of 70’s tunes.

User Info Menu

A jazzy blues gem (by Ray Bryant, IIRC) here given quite an electric workout.

"After Hours" was written by Avery Parrish and was a tremendous hit for Erskine Hawkins, with Parrish on piano, in 1940. Covered by many, many. Very, very popular for a long time in the African-American community, someone said it was the "Negro National Anthem."

Ray Bryant played on the Dizzy Gillespie-Sonny Rollins-Sonny Stitt version and did a solo version.

West Coast blueman Pee Wee Crayton recorded it as "After Hours Blues" in 1948

User Info Menu

Only one mention of Duane Eddy - that's quite strange...

Regarding Freddy King one more time: I always had a couple of his instrumentals under my belt as a guitar feature number in our band back in the day. "Sidetracked" was one of my favourites:

"The Sad Nite Owl" always reminds of "Blue Monk":

Earl Hooker anyone? The other King of guitar instrumentals in the blues genre:

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

The Humbler - Danny Gatton

User Info Menu

Cool!

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Spoken intro, yeah, but still an instrumental. Eddie Hazel's guitar work here is beloved by many.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Nipple Warning: the footage includes a pretty woman without much on....

Frank Vignola