Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Very different from each other:
    Joe Satriani
    Sonny Landreth
    I didn't know who Sonny Landreth was until I moved to New Orleans. I like him a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Confused. What are you saying here? Is it that, in your view, neither Joe Satriani nor Sonny Landreth measures up in instrumental composition, lyricism, pure chops, influence, popularity, etc.? Is it that neither is a pop icon? If so, does that matter? Many of the favorite instrumentals cited in this thread were not performed by pop icons, including your favorite, the little-known Johnny A.
    It's about the repertoire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I didn't know who Sonny Landreth was until I moved to New Orleans. I like him a lot.

That was the first tune I ever heard of him on a slide guitar sampler.

User Info Menu

I was never a big fan, but he certainly became famous playing instrumental rock...

User Info Menu

Nobody's mentioned Mickey Baker yet, so:

User Info Menu

The "little-known" Johnny A has his own Gibson model. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

His surname is little known: Antonopoulos. I had to look it up.

User Info Menu

Paul Jackson, Jr., one of my all time favorites for instrumental pop/rnb/funk/fusion.

Check him out playing his composition, appropriately called "The Workout".

User Info Menu

I love instrumental guitar pop and rock- especially from the sixties. In addition to jazz, classical and blues I play a lot of surf, spy and spaghetti western guitar instrumentals. Stuff like Miserlou, Pipeline, Wipe Out, Peter Gunn and James Bond Themes, Secret Agent Man, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Ghost Riders in the Sky. I also like to do instrumental versions of Glen Campbell songs. I usually do the Western and Glen Campbell songs on Gretsch or PRS Baritone guitars.Speaking of Campbell, here is what I consider a jaw-droppingly good instrumental

User Info Menu

Great thread.....would make some Spotify playlist.

Chantays wrote Pipeline after high school one day

Here's one I wrote 25 years ago

User Info Menu

Bit of Benson in Glen's Ain't No Sunshine!

User Info Menu

Glen had a TV show and had some of the best guitar players join him..his duets with Jerry Reed are just wonderful..

IIRC Glen also wotked on a Steely Dan album...

User Info Menu

Back in the 60's there were tons of instrumental songs on pop radio. And even in the 70's...remember the Love Unlimited theme by Barry White's Orchestra? The theme to SWAT?

Not so many now. Though Nels Cline's Lovers makes me think we should bring it back. Still some life in the genre.

And how about the almost wordless like Shaft? Love this video:

User Info Menu

And this great one by Stevie Ray--shows the man had a strong jazz element to his playing. One wonders if he would have collaborated with players from the straight jazz world, had he lived longer. He also did a bang up version of Chitlins con Carne which is worth checking out.