User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    My dad brought the Jørgen Inmann album home in the early 60’s and I played the dickens out of it. Wish I still had it. I think Echo Boogie was my favorite track. That’s probably the seed that prompted me to take up guitar a few years later.

Echo Boogie was the flip of Apache and is a great tune--I think it was the original A side of the disc.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This came out in 2002 on the "Junk Yard" album. I was living in NOLA at the time and heard this often of 'OZ. Retain a soft spot for it.

Here is Clint Strong playing it just a few years ago.

Here's the Joe Pass version

And the huge hit by Bobbie Gentry from 1967

User Info Menu

Axe master Johnny A has built his modern solo career on instrumental pop tunes, and nobody does it better, IMO. BTW, was hired as lead guitar for Yardbirds reunion tour.

User Info Menu

I like that Joe Pass version on Ode to Billy Joe. His pop work often sounds called in, but he seems into this tunes. I’ll post a few.

Rod Cook is one of my favorite rock/pop/blues guitarists in the Seattle/Tacoma area, and can burn the house down on this tune. (This is from a jam. I didn’t find a video with his own band.)

Danny Gatton.

Patricia Barber has a nice version with vocal, bass, and finger snaps. I’ve tried this feel in duet with bass, and it’s kind of fun.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-03-2019 at 12:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I am afraid I cannot see the point of an instrumental version of Ode to Billy Joe. It is a song, and it is all about the lyrics: the black-eyed peas, the biscuits, Choctaw Ridge, and the news that Billie Joe jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge. But each to his own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I am afraid I cannot see the point of an instrumental version of Ode to Billy Joe. It is a song, and it is all about the lyrics: the black-eyed peas, the biscuits, Choctaw Ridge, and the news that Billie Joe jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge. But each to his own.

Well, here's another one, Lou Donaldson's trick. It's a nice groove and catchy melody (for a groove tune).

I wonder who did the first instrumental version of this song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Axe master Johnny A has built his modern solo career on instrumental pop tunes, and nobody does it better, IMO. BTW, was hired as lead guitar for Yardbirds reunion tour.

This is great stuff!

I met Johnny in the Gibson booth at the Winter NAMM in 2004, and got a chance to play one of his personal guitars. I immediately ordered a slightly custom version and bought another soon after. These are fabulous guitars, and I found Johnny to be an amazing player. These are still my favorite stand-up guitars.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

That's Tom T Hall (great songwriter) introducing Boots Randolph here.

Dexter Gordon takes a low-key turn at it

A studio-jam version...

A curious approach taken by Oscar Peterson here...

User Info Menu

To me it’s a blues. Yeah, 24 bars instead of 12 and unconventional chords (for a blues) in the last 8 bars, but I think blues when hearing it.

One could argue that the most important feature of any blues is the vocal, but that hasn’t stopped people from playing them as instrumentals.

I think the most difficult tunes to make compelling as instrumentals are in the Beatles repertoire, due to the complex arrangements that audiences might have difficulty deviating from.

User Info Menu

I think I can see the point, but I agree, seems nobody in posted clips managed to do anything worth mentioning with this song. Though, Dexter Gordon was on the right track, somewhat, after a while, for a while. The only truly great version is the original.

EDIT: Note to my self: Make instrumental version worth mentioning, if you can.

User Info Menu

'Ode To Billie Joe' Was A Surprise Hit That Prompted Dozens Of Jazz Versions : NPR

Not all the versions mentined in the radio interview / feature, but maybe three-fourths.

User Info Menu

In the spirit of the avant-garde, I played them all at once.

User Info Menu

Very different from each other:
    Joe Satriani
    Sonny Landreth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Very different from each other:
    Joe Satriani
    Sonny Landreth
    Yup, they be pop rock icons, said no one ever.

User Info Menu

This seems to be the most recent article surveying the vast styles of instrumentals that were hits:

Rewind the Biggest Instrumental Hits of the Past 50 Years

I imagine if they said songs older than half-a-century more surf songs (Wipeout, Walk Don't Run) and a deserving nod to Santos and Johnny's Sleepwalk would be on here.

If another pop culture wave (surfing), dance craze, hit film comes along that uses an all instrumental pop tune (who knows, maybe with some great guitar work) non-vocal music will just be in the background for the average listener.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Yup, they be pop rock icons, said no one ever.
    Confused. What are you saying here? Is it that, in your view, neither Joe Satriani nor Sonny Landreth measures up in instrumental composition, lyricism, pure chops, influence, popularity, etc.? Is it that neither is a pop icon? If so, does that matter? Many of the favorite instrumentals cited in this thread were not performed by pop icons, including your favorite, the little-known Johnny A.