The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Not an old recording, but it's got "Apache" on it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Always liked this one

Santo & Johnny's first two LPs on Canadian-American records drove me nuts when they came out. I stole a bunch of ideas from them that I still use and still enjoy listening to them.

Around 1970 I bought a fender Stringmaster double since my band was playing some of those tunes. It weighed a ton and my wife hated it, so I soon sold it off.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A moody vid, ain't it? Nicely done.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Don't forget Freddy King....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Don't forget Freddy King....

User Info Menu

I think a lot of rock fans dig this.

User Info Menu

Danny W.

User Info Menu

A moody vid, ain't it? Nicely done.

THe Shadow's version of Apache was big in England, but in the US Jorgen Ingmann had the big hit with it, in a version he had multitracked all by himself:

I posted this in a thread about Zappa:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    During the '70's I really liked Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Chunga's Revenge and Weasels Ripped My Flesh, but I never thought of them as jazz.

In '78 we were in a new house and looking for new audio equipment. I was using Altec-Lansing speakers for some gigs and wanted them for the house. I would go to a very nice high-end audio store, long out of business, and audition speakers with a variety of records. When I played Peaches En Regalia through Altec Model 19's at stage volumes, all the salesguys would run out of the room and not let anyone else in until I was done.

Photo of outcome:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit: While I still enjoy listening to some surf & instrumental hit music from time to time, my passion for early Zappa seems to have faded away.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    THe Shadow's version of Apache was big in England, but in the US Jorgen Ingmann had the big hit with it, in a version he had multitracked all by himself...
    My dad brought the Jørgen Inmann album home in the early 60’s and I played the dickens out of it. Wish I still had it. I think Echo Boogie was my favorite track. That’s probably the seed that prompted me to take up guitar a few years later.

User Info Menu

Many great instrumentals in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and many more. Many written by Ennio Morricone. No idea who played the guitar on any of them. Popular as cellphone ringtones.

User Info Menu

Herb Alpert and the er... Wrecking Crew.

User Info Menu

I used to own that LP. Maybe still do, I haven't gone through the collection in a long time.

User Info Menu

Duke Levine has been keeping the instrumental pop/rock flame burning around Boston. I think he’s about to release an album or EP of 70’s tunes.

User Info Menu

A jazzy blues gem (by Ray Bryant, IIRC) here given quite an electric workout.

"After Hours" was written by Avery Parrish and was a tremendous hit for Erskine Hawkins, with Parrish on piano, in 1940. Covered by many, many. Very, very popular for a long time in the African-American community, someone said it was the "Negro National Anthem."

Ray Bryant played on the Dizzy Gillespie-Sonny Rollins-Sonny Stitt version and did a solo version.

West Coast blueman Pee Wee Crayton recorded it as "After Hours Blues" in 1948

User Info Menu

Only one mention of Duane Eddy - that's quite strange...

Regarding Freddy King one more time: I always had a couple of his instrumentals under my belt as a guitar feature number in our band back in the day. "Sidetracked" was one of my favourites:

"The Sad Nite Owl" always reminds of "Blue Monk":

Earl Hooker anyone? The other King of guitar instrumentals in the blues genre:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Humbler - Danny Gatton

User Info Menu

Cool!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Spoken intro, yeah, but still an instrumental. Eddie Hazel's guitar work here is beloved by many.

User Info Menu

Nipple Warning: the footage includes a pretty woman without much on....

User Info Menu