Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

If you've never heard them, be ready to have your ears soothed. I was too busy as a kid to pay much attention, assailing the world with my Fuzz Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

great band...original uk folk revival...& spawned one of my favorite guitarists of all time...the great john renbourn

cheers

User Info Menu

I have the album, Soloman's Seal (1972), that this is from. In addition to John Renbourne on guitar, there's Bert Jansch on dulcimer, Danny Thompson on bass and Terry Cox on drums.

I remember seeing them at the Brighton (UK) Dome early in the 70s. Jacqui McShee's voice reverberated around the hall; it was quite magical at the time.

User Info Menu

I've got several of those Pentangle albums, great stuff. I never saw them, but some years ago I managed to see Bert Jansch and John Renbourn (separately, not together). Bert was a bit so-so when I saw him (seemed half asleep to be honest!), but John was great, superb guitar playing. The John Renbourn gig was put on by Big Jim Sullivan as I recall, I had a brief chat with him and John afterwards.

User Info Menu

"Refelction" was my fave Pentangle record. Especially the title cut. The folk-jazz recordings of people like Davy Graham, Nick Drake, Pentangle, Jansch, even some Donovan, are great music, IMHO.
    Danny Thompson was omni-present on that scene. He organized that great Nick Drake Tribute Concert where he really shines on double bass.

User Info Menu

I remember when those first Pentangle albums came out in the early 70s.

It was a big deal and everyone started taking steel string guitar a lot more seriously as a solo instrument because of those Pentangle recordings.

I consider John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, and Davey Graham as important to that initial steel string acoustic guitar movement as Alex De Grassi, Michael Hedges, and Pierre Bensusan were to the New Age acoustic guitar movement that followed a couple of decades later.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    John Renbourn Tabs - Guitar Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

User Info Menu

They were a lot more jazzy and bluesy than their contemporaries. I was too young at the time but, of late, a lot of their TV appearances have turned up on Internet. This one from the BBC is a classic:

User Info Menu

just for info...first pentangle was '68...they had 3 lps released in late 60's...jansch and renbourn..amazing!.. & danny thompson on bass!

jansch afterwards sort of layed low.(tho he was huge influence on jimmy page!!)...but renbourn prospered

one of the great uk folk instrumental lps of all time

renbourns- the lady and the unicorn

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    They were a lot more jazzy and bluesy than their contemporaries. I was too young at the time but, of late, a lot of their TV appearances have turned up on Internet. This one from the BBC is a classic:

These days John Renbourn would be arrested for smoking in a public venue and the band would be sued for several million dollars for plagiarizing All Blues.

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's so blatant that I thought it was All Blues. i would've had the whole bunch of them arrested except for Jacqui.
    She'd have to serve a private sentence as my concubine...