The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I've been diving into taking on board some Jump Blues influence and have been seduced by the rhythm /groove . I'm all over Bill Jennings/Billy Butler/Tiny Grimes old school stuff and can't sit still listening to the more contemporary Mighty Blue Kings!! I love this tune and play along on infinite loop )) absorbing the groove into my DNA)

Any suggestions for other contemporary interpretations of the genre ??

Will

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

jumpin with junior-

the great west coast jump historian/player/raconteur- junior watson

west coast has thriving jump blues underground scene...tommy harkenrider, kid ramos, tim lerch....paul pigat in canada...some great players... and a great little gear scene unto itself....make sure to check out forum member grez guitars...and tavo vega's nocturne amps and pedals

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-18-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    west coast has thriving jump blues underground scene...tommy harkenrider, kid ramos, tim lerch....paul pigat in canada...some great players...
    Here's three of those four guys. (Paul Pigat on the Tele, Tommy Harkenrider in the middle, and Kid Ramos on the left.)

User Info Menu

jumpin with junior-

the great west coast jump historian/player/raconteur- junior watson

west coast has thriving jump blues underground scene...tommy harkenrider, kid ramos, tim lerch....paul pigat in canada...some great players... and a great little gear scene unto itself....make sure to check out forum member grez guitars...and tavo vega's nocturne amps and pedals

cheers
    Lol! I love the laid back attitude , I need more of that in my own approach to playing the guitar ha! I didn't realize Tim Lerch was a jump blues guy I have always been in awe of how he has taken Ted Greene's approach and made it his own.

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Here's three of those four guys. (Paul Pigat on the Tele, Tommy Harkenrider in the middle, and Kid Ramos on the left.)

Great stuff to study -thanks !! I see Tommy Harkenrider does some courses/lessons.

Will

User Info Menu

So there is West Coast Jump and Texas Jump .... so East Coast Jump?

Will

User Info Menu

Love this !! Billy Butler and one track with Bill Jennings working with Bill Doggett . Not contemporary recordings but if you havn't heard them they seem like a great place to transcribe some of this stuff.If your new to this stuff like me sounds like lots of classic phrases and ideas to take on board.

Will
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 01-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

here's tim doing short little solo (clean) jump workout with grez guitar..tommy harkenriders red guitar in ^ vid is also a grez..why i mentioned the union of players and gear makers..and i'd add the great tk smith ..as player and craftsman

cheers

User Info Menu

here's tim doing short little solo (clean) jump workout with grez guitar..
    Years ago Tim did some video lessons on rockabilly guitar. Here's the first lesson, on Travis picking. (Not the same thing as jump but there is some overlap.)

User Info Menu

here's tim with tommy h and paul p...all grez

cheers

User Info Menu

I played with him a few times at informal Django jams in So Cal many years ago. He became interested in that style of music and thus showed up. These were jams with a bass player, violin (well sometimes), and about 6 - 8 guitar players. During a break he came up to me because I was the only guy playing a 'jazz box' (my Gibson L-7), and he asked to play it.

Nice man, but I don't know how far he got into gypsy jazz or jazz standards. I stopped after a year or so because this group stuck with the songs Django would play and I wanted to play more typical jazz standards (songs these guys said didn't 'fit' gypsy jazz).

User Info Menu

Ilike the Jump Jazz style a little more. Like the Bill Doggett example. Brian Setzer any one

User Info Menu

Duke runs the gamut from acoustic blues to uptown funk, with a special feel for the swing / jump axis.

Here's a track he did with Jimmie Vaughan that wouldn't be out of place at a jump blues gig.

User Info Menu

Love the Duke Robillard stuff!!!!

Will
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 01-20-2019 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    Love the Duke Robillard stuff!!!!

Will

He's got a lot of it!
    He has a channel at Sonic Junction. For $20 a month, he teaches songs. I've spent some time there and learned a few things. (I learned "Trouble In Mind" from him, and "Route 66", among others.)
    I don't mess so much with the Chicago blues stuff (-I always liked it, but I play flatwounds and rarely plug in, so there are no big bends on the road I'm travelin' ;o) but he's very good at that. Acoustic blues too.

I like that he teaches songs. Lots of songs, and a good variety. (By songs I mean: chords first, then the melody or riff, then a solo chorus or two, and maybe outro riff, or intro if there's a special one he likes, such as "Route 66" and so on.)

User Info Menu

I hope you all don't mind me throwing this in, but this week during NAMM I will be sponsoring concerts and clinics Thursday, Friday and Saturday around Anaheim and Santa Ana. They will all have a jump blues thread running thru them but will veer in other directions from time to time. Tommy Harkenrider and Paul Pigat will be at all of them plus a bunch of special guest rotating through. No guarantees, but Kid Ramos often stops in, Nick Moss will likely also plus Tim Ielegems from Belgium and Ruzz Evans form the UK........... There's some info on the Grez Guitars FaceBook page, on Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots | or drop me a note.

All The Best,
    Barry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    Ilike the Jump Jazz style a little more. Like the Bill Doggett example. Brian Setzer any one
    I've been working on Jazz Jump style for a while. My band The Owlz will be releasing new album this spring. Mostly original compositions, mixing Jump, Gypsy, Swing, Bugaloo, Caribbean styles. Basically Jump sound and energy, but beyond just blues.

Ill be using a tele and old Guild archtop through a couple of octal tube amps. One in the studio is an original Gibson!

Should be fun, can't wait to share with all of you who are interested in this concept!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I've been working on Jazz Jump style for a while. My band The Owlz will be releasing new album this spring. Mostly original compositions, mixing Jump, Gypsy, Swing, Bugaloo, Caribbean styles. Basically Jump sound and energy, but beyond just blues.

Ill be using a tele and old Guild archtop through a couple of octal tube amps. One in the studio is an original Gibson!

Should be fun, can't wait to share with all of you who are interested in this concept!
    That is great to hear! Please keep us updated!

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    That is great to hear! Please keep us updated!

Will
    I will, thanks!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Mark!! Very cool ! he talks about walking ideas and horn stabs which are two things that drew me to looking at jump blues in relation to jazz playing in the first place!!!. I had been studying the playing of Chris Flory and noticed some stuff I identified as being that type of jump style in his playing which I really liked and wanted to absorb and also noticed he mentioned Bill Jennings and Tiny Grimes as influences which started this whole adventure! Go figure !
    I just bought Tommy's Jump Blues Advanced lesson which is on Bill Jennings comping and some Billy Butler related ideas and it all flows into the same kinda groove/approach - good stuff!!

Will
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 01-21-2019 at 11:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I have been playing this all day ))) albeit not this smooth!! One thing that has become very apparent is that to play in this style you need very clean left and right hand technique to clearly articulate the movement between individual notes . I'm pretty sure I am mixing/mashing all sorts of jump/jazz ideas but ...... it all fits together in my ear

Will
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 01-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I also picked up Tim's - ES125 Jump/Swing tab - lots of great ideas

Will

User Info Menu

As promised, here is update, the 1st single from the upcoming album. The whole thing will be done soon!

I tried to project the jump blues vibe more than just copy licks, hopefully it's entertaining!

User Info Menu

very cool hep...nice vintagey lead tone

cheers