Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart

Yes, it's not jazz. But it is good. I've been giving the old Scotsman a listen lately for some reason and really enjoying his early stuff. These are the albums where he's backed by the Faces plus or minus a couple of folks, and with Atlantic Crossing by the Muscle Shoals' boys.

Great stuff--he isn't afraid to try all kinds of music--reminiscent of Elvis, in the sense of throwing something against the wall to see what sticks.

And, at least early on, really raw and rowdy stuff. He was doing the Stones better than the Stones were at the time. I would describe him as a world-class bar singer.

Of course one's thoughts of Rod are colored by the spandex and frosted hair years, where he let the gloss of the music business overcome his better sensibilities. But early on he was a treasure--unafraid to belt it out with the boys, or to show some emotion and vulnerability if the situation called for it.

By the way I've listened to a bit of his latest album--the jury's still out on how good it is--I hear some Mumford and Sons there, some attempts to stay relevant with slick beats and cosingers and whatnot. His voice sounds untouched by time though...
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Oh yes Rod was Great with the Faces. I think his voice got more raspy Latter, like he was over using his voice But he never went off key

I think I liked Rod the best when he first started singing with The Jeff Beck Group on the Truth album.

Although I did also like some of the albums that he did singing jazz standards with a big band backing him up about 15 years ago.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tabs Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

Wife bought us tickets maybe a year ago, two? I gotta give it to him, he’s still hitting the notes. Good performance.

Yeah, I saw him 2 or 3 years ago with Santana--great show, good showmanship. Toward the end he sang one song--Forever Young as I recall--as a montage of photos from years past was projected onto the back of the stage. He then produced a couple of dozen soccer balls and kicked them into the audience. Great form on the boot, I might add.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

3 of my favorite old Rod Stewart records:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    I think I liked Rod the best when he first started singing with The Jeff Beck Group on the Truth album.

Although I did also like some of the albums that he did singing jazz standards with a big band backing him up about 15 years ago.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tabs Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons
    I also agree that Rod was killing it on Truth...

However, he sounds like he owns these standards, the guy has a gift!

BBC - Music - Review of Rod Stewart - It Had To Be You: The Great American Songbook
    measure with micrometer... mark with chalk... cut with axe

He's in way over his head. Haven't you folks heard Torme, Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughn or Bennett?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook recordings were pitch corrected and some of the consonants overdubbed by a production engineer to make them cleaner. The source is that engineer is an acquaintance of mine and told me the story shortly after the album came out.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed