Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Elvis Costello is ill...

From what I have read he has aggressive pancreatic cancer. I hope that I read wrong. Not an easy cancer to beat. I have been a big fan since the emergence of punk. I have seen him live more than anyone else and have about 90% of his releases. A few odd singles as well. He is a hero of mine.

Edit: I read that it might be prostate cancer, not pancreatic cancer. In any event it sounds very serious.
    Last edited by lammie200; 07-07-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Not good news. Still love "Alison". Good luck to him!

That is sad news.

I always liked Elvis Costello's music and like Rob his song Alison remains one of my favorites.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

elvis with chet- shipbuilding

cheers

Great song, bettered only by Robert Wyatt's version of same.

Hate hearing this.

A was a huge fan for a long time.

Learn to be indifferent to what makes no difference. Marcus Aurelius

All the best to you & yours, Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200 View Post
    From what I have read he has aggressive pancreatic cancer. I hope that I read wrong. Not an easy cancer to beat. I have been a big fan since the emergence of punk. I have seen him live more than anyone else and have about 90% of his releases. A few odd singles as well. He is a hero of mine.

Edit: I read that it might be prostate cancer, not pancreatic cancer. In any event it sounds very serious.
    Also a hero of mine. I'm not a doctor, but as far as I know pancreatic cancer is terminal and incurable, and as such it seems like a different form of cancer, which is great. Here's hoping to a successful surgery and many more years of wonderful music.

I was a fan from viewing his videos in the early 80's.

I love the lyrics from Clubland:
    "Believe your halfway to Paradise,
    Believe your halfway to Bliss..."

He has some very engaging lyrics IMHO.

Costello, Lowe and that crew knew more about pop music than anyone at the time realized. They had a tongue in cheek approach that was very appealing to me. Without humor we all suck IMHO.

Costello, Lowe and that crew knew more about pop music than anyone at the time realized. They had a tongue in cheek approach that was very appealing to me. Without humor we all suck IMHO.

When Nick Lowe did "What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding?" it was more tongue in cheek than it sounded when Elvis covered it later. Nick Lowe had great pop sensibility. Dave Edmunds and Nick in Rockpile did a lot of good, fun stuff.

Always loved this one

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    When Nick Lowe did "What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding?" it was more tongue in cheek than it sounded when Elvis covered it later...
    I think that is because Elvis had to carry the punk torch with it. You know - the angry stuff. It's all good stuff IMHO. Lowe and Brinsley Schwarz is great stuff as well.

I think that is because Elvis had to carry the punk torch with it. You know - the angry stuff. It's all good stuff IMHO. Lowe and Brinsley Schwarz is great stuff as well.

Good point. I think Elvis did it better, btw. Nick was much more whimsical. ("Half A Boy and Half A Man", "I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock'n'Roll.") I remember Nick in an interview (NPR? Terry Gross, maybe?) saying that he was stunned at how intense Johnny Cash's version of "The Beast In Me" was compared to Nick's original. And Nick was no Johnny----he couldn't have done it that way and made it work. There's room for both. A big part of maturing as a musician lies in realizing what "works" for you. (Or, in the case of jazz musicians who do a lot of material they didn't write, 'what you can make work.')

That probably puts an end to Diana Krall's tour as well.
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    ...I remember Nick in an interview (NPR? Terry Gross, maybe?) saying that he was stunned at how intense Johnny Cash's version of "The Beast In Me" was compared to Nick's original. And Nick was no Johnny----he couldn't have done it that way and made it work. There's room for both....
    I agree. I can't see Nick Lowe doing the "angry" thing much at all. I know that he has been on the edge, but he channelled his anger into sarcastic lyrics and catchy melodies. Screaming out a bloody rage just wasn't him, me thinks. Costello could do that though especially in his early years. Kinda psycho.

Not really screamin' but I liked this cover:

Psycho - The Elvis Costello Wiki

BTW, if you haven't seen the documentary on the making of Almost Blue you might want to check it out. Kind of a testament to how well the Attractions could play to pull it off.

Don't start me talking

Don't start me talking

loved him the minute i heard him, catchy intelligent music.

ps
    But there's no danger - he is ok

Not really screamin' but I liked this cover:

Psycho - The Elvis Costello Wiki

BTW, if you haven't seen the documentary on the making of Almost Blue you might want to check it out. Kind of a testament to how well the Attractions could play to pull it off.
    Here's another version of that tune, from the Beasts of Bourbon's "The Axeman's Jazz". (I really liked that whole album back then.)

As for the documentary on the making of "Almost Blue," no, I haven't seen it. I'll have to find the time. I saw them on that tour. (They only played 3 US dates: New York, Nashville, and LA. I saw the one in Nashville, at the Opry, but not Ryman Auditorium---this was the new building at "Opryland". Anyone, great show.) I like a lot of old country songs.

i remember this being quite dramatic in its day...confrontational

as a 70's teenage nyc music kid watching it then, it was quite exciting...nowdays of course this kind of manipulation is a bit more obvious..hah

the band behind elvis, the attractions were a top outfit...all old pro's..bruce thomas was great bass player...rock solid

cheers

another early ec killer... doin' the great bacharach-david....hal david one of the greatest lyricists of all time!!..simple, efficient & splendid

cheers

Walkin' My Baby Back Home

I've always loved this tune. Not a particularly great vocal version, but the guitar is nice for a solo vocal piece.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    another early ec killer... doin' the great bacharach-david....hal david one of the greatest lyricists of all time!!..simple, efficient & splendid

cheers
    +1. That was one that I wore out on my turntable.

Does anyone recall seeing an excellent clip of Elvis singing 'If I only had a brain' accompanied by Bill Frisell on guitar? Gone from You Tube - can't find it anywhere.

David

This? It's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    This? It's pretty cool.

Indeed it is. Thanks for finding that. It was taken down for a while. Love Bill's solo.

David

I haven't heard any news about his health recently. Hoping that's good. New album coming out soon.

I'm thinking he had his prostate removed, but don't know this for sure. Good thing he's got his kid-making out of the way.

Re' BT--I love Bruce Thomas on bass, but apparently Elvis doesn't.

Great songs all, and I have that Stiff Records record as well. Miss Ian Drury--he was a singular talent for sure.

Also, not to digress too far, but I continue to dig Dave Edmunds' stuff with Rockpile. Albert Lee plays a guitar solo on Sweet Little Lisa (Repeat When Necessary album) that's off the charts. Too bad he never played (much) with Elvis.

Dave Edmunds - The Elvis Costello Wiki

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed