Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Jackson Browne...great singing, great songs, great guitars!

My lady (AKA Longtime Traveling Companion) and I saw Jackson Browne last weekend at the Pinewood Bowl in Lincoln, NE. What a great show. We had good seats, too...about 15 rows back. That is an outstanding excellent outdoor venue to see acts like this.

Jackson was in fine form both vocally and instrumentally. Without binoculars he would look 40, not 69, though there was just a hint of the arthritis shuffle here and there. His voice was perfect...hit all the high notes without any problems, with just a hint of gravel. Kind of like aged bourbon.

And yes, he played all the hits. A real standout was when he and the band performed Warron Zevon's Lawyers, Guns and Money. He of course kick-started Zevon's career and was a close friend.

The band was hot, so they danced the famous Merengue...oops...wrong artist...

The band was superb--especially the guitarists Greg Leisz and Shane Fontayne. Greg played mainly pedal steel and a Weissenborn-type lap steel, also some Tele. A true guitarist's guitarist...he has performed on some of the best albums of the last 30 years, especially with KD Lang, Lucinda Williams and Bill Frisell. He is undoubtedly the best steel player I have ever seen in person.

Shane Fontayne is also a guitarist's guitarist who has played and toured with just about everyone, including Springsteen and CSN. Incidentally, he was married to Mackenzie Phillips for 14 years. He played quite a few guitars including a Gretsch hollow, a Tele and a PRS. He added a very Denny Diaz-kind of color to the songs.

Jackson played a couple of Gibson acoustics (of course), a Tele, a Strat, and if I am correct a B&G hollow cutaway. The latter had a very acoustic sound suggesting a piezo pickup at the bridge. Without binocs, though, I couldn't distinguish the name on the headstock.

For the remainder of the tour he will be playing just as a duo with Greg Leisz. Would be definitely worth seeing if you like this type of music.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 06-30-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Jackson Browne...great singing, great songs, great guitars!-img_0438-jpg

Jackson Browne...great singing, great songs, great guitars!-img_0439-jpg

Jackson Browne...great singing, great songs, great guitars!-img_0442-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    The band was hot, so they dance the famous Merengue...oops...wrong artist..
    Not to derail, but you've quoted one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands.

David Lindley's slide on the live cut of "Runnin' on Empty" was one of the pushes that made me really want to play my ass off.

Not terribly familiar with the rest of Jackson's body of work, and the few top-40s I've heard don't really move me ... but man, I know that at least for one night they were on fire.

Thanks for the concert review!

My wife and I are huge Jackson fans. We're headed down to San Diego to see him next week, and we'll see him again in August in LA. We've seen him dozens of times. Even once in Tokyo. He went to high school down the road from me, and was the local hero for younger wannabee songwriters like me.

Meanwhile, my favorite jazz player for the last decade or two has been Bill Frisell. It's weird how these two musical heroes of mine, from different genres, have both had Greg Leisz in their bands. Weird but not surprising, I guess. Greg Leisz is just sublime!

David Lindley is of course a legend. I've never seen him, but his live album with JB is great.

Greg Leisz is definitely a monster. I can't wrap my head around how to play slide or steel like that, but there's something about a really great player that defies description.

Odd fact: Those cats went to the same high school (Sunny Hills in Fullerton, not far from Fender). To my understanding, Greg knew who Jackson was at the time, but Jackson did not know Greg.

I'd like to hear Greg do his own album sometime.

Jackson was great in San Diego!

One highlight was when someone called out to do "Just Like a Woman" and Jackson laughed his way into a pretty good Dylan imitation..."Nobody feels any pain..."

Then he said, "Shit, now I don't even feel like doing one of my songs..."

And everybody knew what he meant, but it was alright.

Long-time compadre Val MacCallum on guitar. Chavonne and Alethea on amazing amazing vocals.

Another treat was when Jackson introduced Greg Leisz's wife, a wonderful bass player from Estonia. Her name was Mai Agan, but is now Mai Leisz. She worked and wrote with David Crosby recently after he heard one of her albums. She came out and replaced Bob Glaub on bass for one tune...and she was really great! A very elegant, deft touch. I think her band back home was a progressive jazz group. Here she is doing Blue in Green:

Jackson Browne...great singing, great songs, great guitars!-leiz-wife-2-jpg

his lyrics in "take it easy" are classic..not really a fan..too saccharine sweet..

always wondered why his choice of the "woman in the tree" .. did like her in blade runner though..if this reference is not clear..your lucky
    play well ...
    wolf

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed