Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Magma - Mythes et Légendes Epok III
    Discovered this yesterday. Someone else will love it too, I guess

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought a Magma album in the cutout bin back in the 80's purely for the cover art (yes, I did that back in the day).

I seriously have probably only listened to it once. I still have it though and may have to put it on just for curiosity.

User Info Menu

So I hit play, skipped to 5 random places, and while it all sounds like the same song (maybe it is?) I liked it a lot. I'll be listening to the whole thing tonight.

As for buying albums based on cover art, I discovered some great shit that way!

User Info Menu

Amateurish drumming. Amateurish off-key singing. Unlistenable for me. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Well, it's no Joe Leader, but what is? (wait for it, it's worth it)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So I hit play, skipped to 5 random places, and while it all sounds like the same song (maybe it is?) I liked it a lot. I'll be listening to the whole thing tonight.

As for buying albums based on cover art, I discovered some great shit that way!
    I did the same. A couple of places sounded like really bad prog rock, and a couple of other places sounded like Spinal Tap doing Jazz Odyssey.

I'm sure I must have bought something based on cover art, but I can't think of what. Zappa always had interesting covers.

User Info Menu

If you don't dig, you don't have to post anything, really. I took the afternoon off yesterday (this pesky flu thing) and just stumbled on them. Spent hours listening. Why? They made me smile on countless occasions. There are some insane moments.

User Info Menu

I'm glad someone find Magma interesting !
    Christian Vander is a fantastic drummer
    You should see him live, he is still touring
    Beside that, he is a great Coltrane fan

Their most famous tune :

Enjoy !
    And thanks to Peter C to have brought that to all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    If you don't dig, you don't have to post anything, really. I took the afternoon off yesterday (this pesky flu thing) and just stumbled on them. Spent hours listening. Why? They made me smile on countless occasions. There are some insane moments.
    If you post something on a message board, there's an implicit invitation for people to comment. If all we can say is shiny happy stuff, there's no point in that. sgosnell and I did not enjoy what we heard. Jeff did. So what? (I sincerely hope you're not looking to the internet for validation.)

Insane moments can be fun, but they don't always (or even often) involve good music.

User Info Menu

Drummer/founder/composer/singer Christian Vander apparently saw a black future for humanity, so imagined an exodus to the planet Kobaïa He invented a phonetic language called Kobaïan which appears to be an integral part of the music. Carl Orff is an obvious influence and Vander himself cites John Coltrane as a major inspiration.

Whatever, but this sounds to me like the way "prog rock" (yeah, I know) should have developed, at least for this cat who writes.

And, as this is a guitar forum, here's a nice guitar solo for you

User Info Menu

C'est cool, 339 in june!

User Info Menu

C'est cool, 339 in june!
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

I'm feeling generous today, so here's another one. Don't miss the chorus coming in at 6'10. What I said about making me smile, if you dig.

User Info Menu

longtime original magma fan..and their zeuhl offshoots...zao, weidorje, teddy lasry, faton cahen, etc etc..saw some of the players live as well..jannick, yochko...many great players went through their ranks

a multicultural band lead by a coltrane and richard wagner crazed drummer singing in a self invented language...not listener friendly??? haha

to be fair they should be judged on their 70's material and live shows not the recent stuff posted above...be like judging the sun ra arkestra on their recent stuff...not quite at their height

one of my fave and most accessible (for magma anyway) albums-

soundtrack to tristian & yseult

remember going to a music shop in lyon fr about a dozen years back and they had a huge life size poster of vander hanging..i was amazed!!..most people stateside have never heard of magma (in their 70's prime), never mind a 5 foot poster of their fearless leader!! (decades later) hah...but the shop owner didn't understand my amazement...quite normal to him..haha

cheers

User Info Menu

As a Magna connoisseur, neatomic, what do you dislike about their recent renderings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    one of my fave and most accessible (for magma anyway) albums-

soundtrack to tristian & yseult
    You gotta be joking me, man. That clip sounds like a Zappa parody of opera or something.

OTOH, the clip Nebehr Gudahht ROCKS! The opening bass solo is incredible--great tone.

And the guitarist--not only crazy shredding skills, but plays like he doesn't give a &%&%, which we all know is the secret to great music.

I will actually have to break out the old Attahk album and listen to it today.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The more you listen, the greater the diversity. Here's some Kobaïan country music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, it's no Joe Leader, but what is? (wait for it, it's worth it)

WOW!

Possibly the most stunning 2 minutes of video I've ever seen.

This changes EVERYTHING!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    WOW!

Possibly the most stunning 2 minutes of video I've ever seen.

This changes EVERYTHING!
    Not to sidetrack the Magma thread too far, but his "first note" is really one for the ages.

User Info Menu

Sax solo anyone? (min 3'30)

User Info Menu

As a Magna connoisseur, neatomic, what do you dislike about their recent renderings?
    didn't say i dislike it...just trying to make the naysayers aware that the band goes back decades!!..had some great players pass through the ranks...if leader christian vander isn't in peak form currently, its because he's been pounding it out for ages!! and for little $ and acknowledgement

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    You gotta be joking me, man. That clip sounds like a Zappa parody of opera or something.

OTOH, the clip Nebehr Gudahht ROCKS! ...

it's a soundtrack for a film based on a 12th century mythological tale!...not much call for overdriven bass solo's and electric guitar noodlings..hah..why vander recorded it as a 4 piece...instead of the usual large ensemble

vander was interested because one of his musical idols- richard wagner had also composed an opera based on it

zappa himself is considered tasteless & talentless by some.. & by others, nothing less than a genius

music is as much about the listener as it is the actual music...difficult music requires more skillful & dedicated listening

cheers

User Info Menu

From the vids I've seen, there seems to be a kind of general peak in musicianship in the early 2000s. On later stuff, Mr Vander may indeed be showing signs of wear and tear - guy's 70 now! It has to be said that, from what I've been able to hear, the early guitarists and bassists couldn't hold a candle to latter guys like James McGaw (sp?) and Philippe Bussonnet.

User Info Menu

For those of you who can read French, various notes about the group and its early history... MAGMA Intro

A funny thing is that I used to play the bass and the guitar within its ancestor group MAGMA FAN . A propos 005
    Last edited by mhch; 03-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

An art rocker friend used to get religiously stoned to Magma every day, the stuff I remember was extremely heavy inner outer space music.