Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

I see the topic is cluttering up in others threads so here you can name your favorite artists or debate the arts' validity.

I personally, such as, think the iraq and the asian countries, such as, enjoy only a handfull of groups... Not so much the sellout, big name dudes taking cues. Some of it is predictable--intro, rap on verse, sing on chorus, other guy raps on second verse and so on. I also think the violent lyrics can only perpetuate a problem. I usually don't pay attention to that stuff. I enjoy the more laid back stuff. Here are some names that i tune in to along with links. Busdriver, A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, Aesop Rock.

MySpace.com - Busdriver - LOS ANGELES, California - www.myspace.com/themanthemyththabusdriva

MySpace.com - A Tribe Called Quest - New York, New York - www.myspace.com/atribecalledquest

MySpace.com - THE PHARCYDE - Santa Fe Springs, California - www.myspace.com/thepharcyde

MySpace.com - aesop rock (Euro & Oz dates added!) - NUEVA YORK - www.myspace.com/aesoprockwins

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Chordon Bleu Guest
    I noticed some of those here think Hip Hop is ot a genre and I'd have to disagree.
    It is certainly a more up to date and significant genre than Jazz when it comes to the culture of the last 30 years.
    Where has REAL Jazz been hiding? Why in Hip Hop of course!
    It is actually a form of technologically based electronic Jazz which is very lyrical, and rythmnic, which over the years I have come to respect and admire.
    Last edited by Chordon Bleu; 01-19-2008 at 10:54 PM.

User Info Menu

check, do you dig the other def jux cats too, like El-P, et al.

i even think the early output of the wu tang and Nas was pretty brilliant...it doesn't have to be underground for me...

but that busdriver rec. with daedalus and radioinactive from a few years back...that's the wildest spoken word album ever! love it.

there is a great deal of Jazz Harmony found in Hip-Hop and some really interesting things done which sadly people never pick up on.

Look at 'the Roots' for instance, a live band with a great deal of knowledge and background in Jazz. Soweto Kinch is obviously another good example this time the other way around - A Jazz musician interpreting Hip-Hop.

its funny though that many listeners of Hip-Hop would never associate their music with Jazz. How many people have listened to A Tribe Called Quest's 'Sucka Nigga', and realized its a sample of Freddie Hubbard's 'Red Clay'

Also, on an interesting note, isn't Kurt Rosenwinkel's 'Heartcore' album produced by ATCQ's 'Q-Tip', or did i make that up?

EDIT: Check THIS live band out. Their 'Funny Things' is a beautiful use of Bill Evan's Nardis in particular - J-Treole
    Last edited by little.alligator; 01-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

since im from houston, i listen to mostly houston rap/hip hop if im not listening to jazz. if you listen to UGK, their new CD all have some awesome bass lines and backgrounds.
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

User Info Menu

If you check out Digable Planets...well, enough said! Funky jazz and almost beat poetry. Awesome stuff!

User Info Menu

And there you have it folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

i even think the early output of the wu tang and Nas was pretty brilliant...it doesn't have to be underground for me...

but that busdriver rec. with daedalus and radioinactive from a few years back...that's the wildest spoken word album ever! love it.
    I like Def Jux... El-P and MURS particularly. I'm okay with Aesop sometimes, his flow is good but his words get a little obtuse. I tell you, though, when Def Jux guys record with the anticon artists it's absolute dynamite.

I've been noticing that a goodly portion of Sage Franci's samples are jazz hooks... Not that it really matters, I just figured I'd stay forum topical :P

User Info Menu

what type of hip hop do you guys like?
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

Yeah, i've heard a little bit of them, but my musical tase is so wide that i haven't delved too much into one genre, except maybe punk music back when i was trying to be cool. I have heard the old wu-tang though. I'll check out some of the other dudes.

User Info Menu

has anybody heard chamiliionaire's new cd, Ultimate Victory? its really good. if you havent heard of him, try listening to that CD. im prolly i little bias because he is from Houston but his lyrics on that have meaning.
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

User Info Menu

My mrs told me to have a word with my son coz he was listening to hip hop lyrics etc. He was only 10. i asked him to put some on. I tried my best but we ended up dancing. The groove was steamin'. My mrs was in the kitchen. He listens to Sinatra now.

User Info Menu

Your son sounds really cool

User Info Menu

I think many people don't realise the breadth of music within hip-hop. The "gangsta" image is probably the first thing people would think of nowadays regarding hip-hop, but it's obviously much more than that.

To start with, rappers are essentially what poets used to be. The connection between, say, John Milton and Eminem is not as distant as you might think. Both have a tremendous ear for the way a line of words should flow, and a vocabulary and general verbal dexterity that marks them out from their peers. Milton might not be the best example of someone giving "the word on the street", but for that you could go to Geoffrey Chaucer, or some of Shakespeare's more bawdy scenes - the ones they don't usually tell you about in school.

And of course there is the music existing between and beyond the rhymes. Knowing music theory is great, but rapping, mixing and producing are all sciences in themselves. Getting all three right in one album is a long shot. Listen to Abdominal freestyling lyrics off the top of his head, Grandmaster Flash mixing records on 'Adventures on the Wheels of Steel' or DJ Shadow's lush soundscapes on 'Endtroducing' and tell me there's no musicianship there.

The instrumental side of hip-hop doesn't seem to be particularly well-known, but is well worth investigating. It's epitomised by the likes of DJs Shadow, Q-Bert and Cut Chemist, or the avant-noise collages produced by Terminator X of Public Enemy and the jazzy backdrops of DJ Premier of Gang Starr (who are much more interesting than their name might suggest).

There's plenty of worthwhile music in hip-hop, and it's as valid as any other musical genre. I used to think rap music was nothing more than two dustbin lids being slammed together while an idiot ranted over the top, but I searched a little deeper and found sounds I'd never heard before - and that, as far as I'm concerned, is what it's all about.

User Info Menu

Excellent post cz. I'll be doing some investigating myself now! My son is way cooler than me Gravitas, but i'll surprise him when i put Q Bert or Cut chemist on after 'love supreme'. He probably won't even raise an eyebrow. Oh...to be cool..
    Last edited by mike walker; 01-31-2008 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chordon Bleu View Post
    I noticed some of those here think Hip Hop is ot a genre and I'd have to disagree.
    It is certainly a more up to date and significant genre than Jazz when it comes to the culture of the last 30 years.
    Where has REAL Jazz been hiding? Why in Hip Hop of course!
    It is actually a form of technologically based electronic Jazz which is very lyrical, and rythmnic, which over the years I have come to respect and admire.
    I find it curious and a bit dissapointing that the Hip Hop thread has become the venue that generates the most considered opinions on this forum. Frankly, I am finding less and less discussion about jazz guitar or even jazz unless it concerns gadgets, or posturing over who someone hates the most. This is not meant to disparage anyone interested in hip hop, but I just don't see the relevance to this forum. I thought "other styles" pertained to other guitar-styles. I may be mis-informed but I don't believe ther is any guitar style called hip hop.

Just a quiet voice in cyber space saying.."what gives?"

User Info Menu

Well... Don Ross occasionally describes his playing as "Hip Hop Guitar." I don't know if that's true, but it's bumpin'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gravitas View Post
    Well... Don Ross occasionally describes his playing as "Hip Hop Guitar." I don't know if that's true, but it's bumpin'

Cool video...I saw Don Ross live at a local fingerstyle competition held in Ontario. He actually runs the competition. However, I wouldn't credit hip hop for those rhythms... that styles been around for a while. Checkout Buster Jones and Jerry Reed...

User Info Menu

Jazz is ever evolving. Hip hop and jazz will merge as all other styles have merged in one way or another. Something interesting will come from that. It probably already has and i'm not fully aware of it. Threads like this can inspire creativity. Someone said once 'computers are just a phase'. And people laughed at phrases like 'cyber space'. Let's see 'what gives'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker View Post
    Jazz is ever evolving. Hip hop and jazz will merge as all other styles have merged in one way or another. Something interesting will come from that. It probably already has and i'm not fully aware of it.
    Guru, who raps with Gang Starr, has produced a series of albums called 'Jazzmatazz: An Experimental Fusion of Hip-Hop and Jazz', featuring the likes of Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Courtney Pine and Lonnie Smith. The first one's the best, and, while the jazz-rap phenomenon has never really taken off, those albums are definitely worth checking out.

User Info Menu

hip hop and jazz are already merging, slowly--and true collaborations, like matthew shipp's record with the anti-pop consortium.

it's a natural combo really--any rapper worth his salt can freestyle, which is verbally improvising.

CC323 Guest
    Nothing beats Public Enemy in my opinion. The only hip hop group I've ever bought an album of.

User Info Menu

One time I found this really jazzy hip hop cd, I think the rapper's name was Architect but I'm not certain. The Jazz tunes were excellent as the background for some interesting lyricism. Anyway some of my favorites include Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, Aesop Rock, Wu-Tang, Biggie, Tupac. When I was say 12 or 13 I went through a small phase where I was all about the likes of ICP and Twiztid and other psychopathic records artists, that stuff is just silly.

User Info Menu

yes yes jazzaluk..other GUITAR styles...it's what I read the heading as...

IMO I don't hear any..but then again I'm old fashioned and would rather pursue a Wes Montgomery transcription or one of Joe Pass' Virtuoso transcriptions or Howard Roberts or Johnny Smith..Herb Ellis...Barney Kessell..George Benson..Kenny Burrell..see I told you I was older...George Barnes...Van Eps..now they all play Jazz Guitar..as most of you know...

Miles once said "jazz changes everyday and you have to change with it or be left behind"..I agree..to a point...

time on the instrument playing jazz like a jazz guitarist should...pierre

User Info Menu

Anybody remember what Mingus used to do with stuff like "The Clown" and "Scenes of a City", i.e., really cool spoken word stuff that is driven by jazz music? Or an entire sub-genre driven by the Beats of jazz and poetry?

That is where I think jazz and modern day free-styling could be pretty cool. Drum machines, and shitty sounding synthesizers? Not so much..

User Info Menu

There is some hiphop I've enjoyed listening to, but I can't say I ever enjoyed it enough to pursue the music or find albums.

But I think musicians in general often get the worst idea of what music is about... them. Their instrument, their style of music, their views.
    Ego is good, but being ego centric is not.
    Rap has nothing or little to do with the guitar but a lot of people feel connected to it. They are just as involved in it as many here are in jazz, and many others are in rock.

User Info Menu

Sorrryyyy!!! hiphop is not my cuppa tea!!! really dont like the sound and the lyrics!

User Info Menu

well, lyrical content differs from group to group. we're not just talking the pop rap junk that gets peddled on the radio.

check out the Roots, or Digable Planets, or A Tribe Called Quest, just for starters.

User Info Menu

with hip hop you should find someone you like and then find their record label and go from there.

I used to (and still do) love digable planets. that was sort of funky jazz but with actual players...but into this millennium.mad lib on stones throw records is good lots of jazzy stuff. ninja tune has some cool stuff too.a good starting point.
    Last edited by Metal Fingers; 04-23-2009 at 11:11 PM.

User Info Menu

ok i read the first page.some hip hoppers on here.and at least one big nerd,with a closed mind and heart.

def jux?nice.cannibal ox baby.although not very jazzy.
    hip hop isn't really a genre but more of a way of mixing and producing music.any music can be mixed into hip hop.we just mainly hear people using funk a la james brown or other various popular samples.
    saying hip hop sucks is kinda like saying jazz sucks.your right 99% of it does.

User Info Menu

10 years later......Billboard #1 hip hop song this week...

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-18-2019 at 01:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    3 days later....surreal...

Not bad! Is it n1 really? Unfortunately hip hop they play here in NYC sounds nothing like it.

User Info Menu

Wow ... I really like that Cowboy Hip Hop!

User Info Menu

Hep, I know they don't blast MosDef anymore, but still:

And A Tribe Called Quest was from NYC--Queens baby, you know?

User Info Menu

I was really into this for a while:

User Info Menu

And if you've ever seen Akira--you might like this video:

Another collaboration with Flying Lotus

User Info Menu

In general I don't like 90% of hiphop, but then I don't like 90% of any genre of music. That's just the way the bell curve works. I do have to say that I once heard a rap song through my window that blew me away. Some kind of sweet, billowing, psychedelic, carribbean-flavored, thing. The musician-magicians had skillfully invoked the presence of the great spirit of music, and it cast its full, powerful spell on me. To this day I have no idea who it was. I'd sure like to know. But things like that teach me to never close my ears to any genre of music. (And, no, my experience was not "chemically assisted" ha ha).

User Info Menu

why is lil nas x named lil nas x? Is he related to Nas? I used to blast "You Can Hate Me Now" when I was dealing with a principal who ganged up on me with all her cronies to throw me out of her school. Pity, my students were great and they liked what I was doing...

You can hate me now, but I won't stop now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Hep, I know they don't blast MosDef anymore, but still:

And A Tribe Called Quest was from NYC--Queens baby, you know?
    No idea, i only judge from what i ve heard on the radio in a car recently. Unbelievable crap to my ears. I never was a hiphop fan in general, not just for the music but aesthetics and fashion style especially. Plus I cant process wtf they saying- its too fast!

But ok, O.D.B. i kinda liked. WuTangClan... Bring the mofokin riot, (or rukus?) that was a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    why is lil nas x named lil nas x? Is he related to Nas? I used to blast "You Can Hate Me Now" when I was dealing with a principal who ganged up on me with all her cronies to throw me out of her school. Pity, my students were great and they liked what I was doing...

You can hate me now, but I won't stop now!

I am not a huge hip hop fan, especially not the new stuff.

However I do dig some of the stuff Nas did.

This is my favorite Nas song

I am playing a solo over my buddys new song, King of Lego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUeMfR0hgc

This is a classic, just awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost View Post
    I am not a huge hip hop fan, especially not the new stuff.

However I do dig some of the stuff Nas did.

This is my favorite Nas song

Early Nas is the best. I still dig this, but it's no "Illmatic."

I like my rappers angry. No mush mouthed mumble crap or autotuned NBA youngboy "sing rap." Sorry buddy, you sound like Nelly.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Early Nas is the best. I still dig this, but it's no "Illmatic."

I like my rappers angry.

Yeah, that exactly the difference between Illmatic, and the more "sophisticated" laid back stuff he did a little later on.

I dig his earlier stuff as well, but with Nastradamus, the song, he managed to come up with something very groovy, laid back, and at the same time, unique sounding.