The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Verlaine and Lloyd have already been mentioned, two of my favorites. This solo (@1:45) from Lloyd, by then a sideman for Matthew Sweet, just kills me, because like so much of his work, he sounds like he's teetering at the cliff's edge, but pulls it back in, and in doing so he does the lead guitarist's most important job, to move the song forward:

They also were special to me as a guitar team because when I finally got around to getting Marquee Moon after reading it cropping up in lots of interviews, I had largely been a hard-rock/heavy metal guitarist playing in trio+vocalist lineups. Hearing their work did a lot to teach me about playing inside the framework of a song and feathering my parts in with another melodic voice. Those are lessons that do me right to this day.

Mike Campbell has already been mentioned as well. The guy can play his ass off, sure, but he doesn't most of the time, and that's so important.

Another technically great guy who doesn't get respect outside the community of guitarists is Elliot Easton from the Cars. Like Campbell never showed his whole hand, kept his chops in service to the song (1:54 and 3:05, the last one of my fave solos in rock):

Technically challenged? Ace Frehley was one of two (Jeff Lynne being the other) who made me want to pick up the guitar as a boy. Pentatonic wankery? Sure. But it got me to pestering Mom about getting me a guitar, because it was primal, visceral. Of course, he's widely known and appreciated. Robert Smith from the Cure is another guy whose playing is pretty simplistic, but very on-point.
    Totally agree on Elliot Easton of the Cars. First, he wrote great songs. Second, the guitars sounded good. Third, the solos were melodic, tasteful and understated. I shouldn't speak of him in the past tense, he's definitely still around.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I appreciate all the responses. If you can gather from the first post, I was really thinking of people who were not very technically proficient, yet were very influential in shaping the course of guitar in music through their creativity.

But, there are a lot of guitarists who are underrecognized.

Link Wray just came to mind...how many people did he influence with Rumble? Just a few notes, and suddenly everyone wanted to get a distorted guitar sound.

Marc Bolan--hardly a virtuoso, but the perfect tone and the perfect looks for the time.
    Link Wray and the Ray Men The only Instramental that got Band was Rumble. He got his sound by either poking holes in his speaker or by placing tin foil over the front of the speaker he started when he came back from the Korean war.and I think he is a great Unknown, he is more known in Europe

User Info Menu

One guy who I learned about recently is Alan Murphy, guitarist for Kate Bush, Go West, Level 42 and probably loads of other stuff - credited as the guy who took the Holdsworth aesthetic into the top 40.

Shred at 3:11

User Info Menu

Bloody love talking heads BTW

User Info Menu

I thought about it, but I can't single out one.

Every time read GP, I see names that are new to me. I check some of them out on youtube. Every time, it's a great player.

So I started thinking about players who really changed the way the instrument is played.

Since I don't follow all styles of music/guitar, there are some I don't know.

In American jazz, the names that come to mind are Eddie Lang, Charlie Christian, Wes and Django (at least for a certain group of musicians). I suspect there are glaring omissions from different eras.

In rock, Hendrix, Van Halen, maybe Clapton, maybe Santana. I wonder about the influence of Link Wray, but I wasn't around for that and haven't read enough.

Thoughts? Who else has changed the way the guitar is played?

User Info Menu

I should start making them up and putting up fraudulent Wikipedia pages.

User Info Menu

Roy Wood comes to mind, leader of the Move, Wizzard, etc. Is that him doing the Django imitation on "French Perfume"? Or check out the classical medley on the long version of Cherry Blossom Clinic.

User Info Menu

Love Halsall's playing on the Rutles records.

User Info Menu

how much were/are Cal Collins and Ron Eschete appreciated outside a few jazz aficionados...for me, just as good as it gets

User Info Menu

I liked Garry Roberts of The Boomtown Rats. (I liked this whole album. The "hit" was "I Don't Like Mondays" but there are several strong songs on the album and the sequencing of them is excellent.)

User Info Menu

Larry Campbell.

Jimmy Herring.

In an odd way even Bob Weir (if only due to standing next to Garcia and Lesh for a few decades), whose playing is just unique but perhaps unique to the point that he has influenced few.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I wonder about the influence of Link Wray, but I wasn't around for that and haven't read enough.

Thoughts?

link wray was huge influence on early r&r...jimmy page!!, john cippolina of quicksilver, countless garage bands..rumbles one of the great nasty 45's of all time!!

then he came back in post punk 70's with rockabilly (robert gordon) and influenced all over again...cramps, psychobilly, etc

a legend

cheers

User Info Menu

The intro, and the other solo ... whole song is a masterpiece of a kind ... :

... and of course ... Snakefinger ...

... just to add, without clips:

Olga, from The Toy Dolls

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Cunamara;897537]Larry Campbell.

i'm going to have to play my trump card on your Big River post - Guthrie Trap/Robert's Western World - so tasty. My cover money would be to hear Guthrie any day over Mr. C. Plus it's the right key.

User Info Menu

here is a player that isn't Know as well as he should be. Who was the guitar player for the E street Band but was also a Guitarist for Crazy Horse. Helped Neal Young on some Lps. Nels Lofgrin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    link wray was huge influence on early r&r...jimmy page!!, john cippolina of quicksilver, countless garage bands..rumbles one of the great nasty 45's of all time!!

then he came back in post punk 70's with rockabilly (robert gordon) and influenced all over again...cramps, psychobilly, etc

a legend

cheers
    Bill clearly agrees.

Also, he did this thing:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Bill clearly agrees.

Also, he did this thing:

Awesome, lets hope Rumble will become a standard now. Im tired of blank stares when i call this tune on gigs.

User Info Menu

best part of rumble is you can hear link ramping up his premier amps trem on the outro...really takes it out!

great pic of a fans collection of very similar gear to what link wray used..premier 71 amp with fc 12" & two 3" tweeters!

danelectro, supro and yamaha guitars

Underappreciated guitar heroes-jvx1mh_lsrwly5kek28cow-jpg

cheers