Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

Mick Ronson
    Glen Buxton
    Ace Frehley
    Steve Jones (Pistols)

All for creating parts that while simple, totally captivated me and created my need to play the guitar.

Also coming to mind is Maury Muehleisen. Great player and guitar arranger imo, whose legend is eclipsed by the greatness of his partner.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

great tom verlaine instrumental album..very outside...he was a big free jazz fan..loved the saxophone...trane, ayler etc

warm and cool

ps

robert gordon was from early punk cb's band-tuff darts....pre his rockabilly phase...he had killer guitarists...link wray, chris spedding and gatton for a short bit...spedding was/is his main guy...

and what a great he is...chris spedding...uk session man + supreme...early jazz fusioner with nucleus and jack bruce...produced the early sex pistols demo's...steve jones is his tone!

User Info Menu

I don't recall Philip Catherine being mentioned much at this forum. I really love his approach and he was on some fine trio albums with Kenny Drew and Neils-Henning Orsted Pederson. One of my favorite is Something Different a Dexter Gordon album. The title is because instead of a Gordon playing with a Piano trio, he is playing with a guitar trio. Catherine's comping is fine on this album and his solos interesting.

He also did some very rock influenced live albums with Pederson and Billy Hart on drums. I believe he played a Les Paul on these.

Catherine continues to make albums and I just love his straight ahead sound with a edge (e.g. his use of a Rat petal on Summer Nights).

User Info Menu

coryell was early phillip catherine advocate/cohort

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I don't recall Philip Catherine being mentioned much at this forum. I really love his approach and he was on some fine trio albums with Kenny Drew and Neils-Henning Orsted Pederson. One of my favorite is Something Different a Dexter Gordon album. The title is because instead of a Gordon playing with a Piano trio, he is playing with a guitar trio. Catherine's comping is fine on this album and his solos interesting.

He also did some very rock influenced live albums with Pederson and Billy Hart on drums. I believe he played a Les Paul on these.

Catherine continues to make albums and I just love his straight ahead sound with a edge (e.g. his use of a Rat petal on Summer Nights).
    Boy do I agree...P.C. is a real treasure...what a player.

User Info Menu

Ollie Halsall, who was, among other things, guitarist for the British band Patto back in the late '60s and early '70s, after which he briefly played together with Allan Holdsworth in the prog metal band Tempest:

User Info Menu

I have always liked Pierre Dorge.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jbernstein91;845411]Ollie Halsall, who was, among other things, guitarist for the British band Patto back in the late '60s and early '70s, after which he briefly played together with Allan Holdsworth in the prog metal band Tempest:

/QUOTE]

beloved ollie...one of the best ever... met him...huge influence....out legato'ed holdsworth

lot goin on in this pic! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Martin Barre
    Rick Derringer
    Jimmy Rosenberg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

Philip Catherine is also on a great Chet Baker album called Chet’s Choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I appreciate all the responses. If you can gather from the first post, I was really thinking of people who were not very technically proficient, yet were very influential in shaping the course of guitar in music through their creativity.

But, there are a lot of guitarists who are underrecognized.

Link Wray just came to mind...how many people did he influence with Rumble? Just a few notes, and suddenly everyone wanted to get a distorted guitar sound.

Marc Bolan--hardly a virtuoso, but the perfect tone and the perfect looks for the time.
    Proficient but less recognized? Or less proficient but recognized? In the first category, I would include Philip Catherine, previously mentioned, Danny Gatton, ditto, and Sonny Landreth, just to name three off the top of my head. In the second group, I nominate Kurt Cobain and Lou Reed, two among many, as well as the mentioned Ramones. And what about Keith Richards? The Stones were my favorite band for decades, and Keith came up with some great sounds and hooks. But standout guitar "skill"? No.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Proficient but less recognized? Or less proficient but recognized? In the first category, I would include Philip Catherine, previously mentioned, Danny Gatton, ditto, and Sonny Landreth, just to name three off the top of my head. In the second group, I nominate Kurt Cobain and Lou Reed, two among many, as well as the mentioned Ramones. And what about Keith Richards? The Stones were my favorite band for decades, and Keith came up with some great sounds and hooks. But standout guitar "skill"? No.
    Less proficient but should be recognized for their contribution to music and guitar history. Yep Kurt and Lou definitely. Dweezil Zappa once mocked Lour Reed for having the worst guitar solo ever, and he was a bad guitarist back in the early Velvet days, but later he acquired a certain style which was very effective for what he did.

Keef can do a riff like nobody's business. IMO all successful rock groups must have a very good drums and bass, but for certain bands like the Stones and the Who their best work hangs on a great guitar riff. Look at Rob McKillop's tribute to Keef on the Chat page. And as mentioned above Mick Ronson and Marc Bolan.

Did I mention Pete Townshend above? Listening to their great middle-period records--Tommy, Who's Next, etc. He was a better guitarist than some people claimed, but what really stood out were his sounds and his riffs.

User Info Menu

Peter Bilt could play! Although, he 1st had to substitute the hardest fingering for every chord he played...

Of Course, the Humbler... Danny Gatton, and the aforementioned Chris Spedding (Motorbikin') are 2 of my favorites.

But greatest guitar show I ever saw was Robert Gordon at the Saddlerack in San Jose, CA ~1980..

He had 2 guitarists, one tall, one short, both bald, both bangin' Tele's and at one point during the show
    they grabbed each-others neck and played an insane harmony lead while we all lost our minds!

I always wondered who those Tele-Twins were... never found out...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    P

But greatest guitar show I ever saw was Robert Gordon at the Saddlerack in San Jose, CA ~1980..

He had 2 guitarists, one tall, one short, both bald, both bangin' Tele's and at one point during the show
    they grabbed each-others neck and played an insane harmony lead while we all lost our minds!

I always wondered who those Tele-Twins were... never found out...

the late great robert quine played with robert gordon briefly.. tho switching necks does not seem his style!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

In case he hasn't already been mentioned, Tony Joe White

Here's a video of a guy named James James who makes videos where he plays over records he likes so other can learn how to play their favorite songs.
    Here he's playing over a live version of "Polk Salad Annie" by Tony Joe White. This is a great example of doing a lot with a little, and keeping the groove central.

User Info Menu

Mel Brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mike Campbell...who has apparently joined Fleetwood Mac.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Mike Campbell...who has apparently joined Fleetwood Mac.
    Wonder if he's hooked up with Stevie Nicks yet? I would imagine that's in the contract for lead FM guitarist...

User Info Menu

Bernie Marsden, one of the founding members of Whitesnake, seems almost criminally underappreciated. In his mid-sixties now, I believe this video from 2012 suggests he was (at least then) still practicing regularly out 'n the shed...

User Info Menu

Just my 2 pennies worth;

Jan Ackerman - Focus
    Peter Fripp - King Crimson
    Richie Schelenda (If the name is mis-spelled I apologize), who partially inspired me to try and learn jazz guitar. Do not know how far he got in the industry but by all rights should have gone far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    Just my 2 pennies worth;

Jan Ackerman - Focus
    Richie Schelenda (If the name is mis-spelled I apologize), who partially inspired me to try and learn jazz guitar. Do not know how far he got in the industry but by all rights should have gone far.

Pretty sure you meant Robert Fripp... also one of my unsung guitar hero's.

Hocus Pocus ... what great guitar playing! And at the same time it was popular, Rick Derringer and Edgar were doing "Frankenstein" 2 great instrumentals (I don't include yodeling as singing per se...) at the same time on my crummy old AM radio!

User Info Menu

very cool obscure guitar record- two sides of peter banks...by the original yes (pre steve howe) guitar man- peter banks...and with jan ackerman!! (he's on left channel - banks on right)...great album.. crimsons wetton, & genesis' phil collins, steve hackett too...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    Just my 2 pennies worth;

Jan Ackerman - Focus
    Jan Ackermann, Robert Fripp. Why not add Peter Banks of Yes? And Yngwie Malmsteen later? Was it called "prog rock"? Frankly, I didn't like it. But the technical dexterity was impressive. Anyhow, I wouldn't call them underappreciated. I would say they had a niche that was impossible for the masses to appreciate.

User Info Menu

Verlaine and Lloyd have already been mentioned, two of my favorites. This solo (@1:45) from Lloyd, by then a sideman for Matthew Sweet, just kills me, because like so much of his work, he sounds like he's teetering at the cliff's edge, but pulls it back in, and in doing so he does the lead guitarist's most important job, to move the song forward:

They also were special to me as a guitar team because when I finally got around to getting Marquee Moon after reading it cropping up in lots of interviews, I had largely been a hard-rock/heavy metal guitarist playing in trio+vocalist lineups. Hearing their work did a lot to teach me about playing inside the framework of a song and feathering my parts in with another melodic voice. Those are lessons that do me right to this day.

Mike Campbell has already been mentioned as well. The guy can play his ass off, sure, but he doesn't most of the time, and that's so important.

Another technically great guy who doesn't get respect outside the community of guitarists is Elliot Easton from the Cars. Like Campbell never showed his whole hand, kept his chops in service to the song (1:54 and 3:05, the last one of my fave solos in rock):

Technically challenged? Ace Frehley was one of two (Jeff Lynne being the other) who made me want to pick up the guitar as a boy. Pentatonic wankery? Sure. But it got me to pestering Mom about getting me a guitar, because it was primal, visceral. Of course, he's widely known and appreciated. Robert Smith from the Cure is another guy whose playing is pretty simplistic, but very on-point.

User Info Menu

More folks should be hip to Zoot Horn Rollo, early guitarist for Captain Beefheart. He was also a master of slide guitar, and funky odd time signatures.