Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just found this on YouTube. It's the album with lots of pictures of JJ, Clapton, Tom Petty, Don White, Mark Knopler, Willie Nelson, John Mayer, and others who contributed to the record.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is the first JJ Cale song I remember hearing, "Crazy Mama." Early '70s. I lived in Nashville at the time --was in junior high--and heard this on the radio. I'm not sure if it got a lot of play elsewhere.

Here's a live version I just found, complete with Leon Russell on piano.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

"Call Me The Breeze" (and the rest of the first album afterwards) was the first I heard by him (on the radio - yes they played stuff like that on the radio back then....) I became an instant fan. I'm playing (and singing) "C.M.T.B." and "Cajun Moon" with our band. Fun to play and sing.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

great great singer songwriter musician...wrote some classics...also knew his way around the guitar and old school recording tech...clapton adored him...when they played together, he'd step back from soloing to let jj handle it!!! that's respect!!! eric clapton backing off a solo!!! hah

really a cool unassuming talent..all the "big name" guys loved him..hence the tribute^...and that's just a small percentage of his appreciators

rip jj cale!

cheers

User Info Menu

Well said. Here’s some good stuff:

And here’s a nice of example of his solo style. Sort of a free finger style. (Song starts around :50)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

JJ Cale! He is my hero. For first off, his songwriting, and then for his guitar playing. Cale doesn't ever play more notes than he needs and every note is right. One of the proudest moments in my life was when I recorded a song I had written, and played the tape for a lady who was knowledgeable about such music. She didn't know I had written and performed the song, and she paused a few moments and said, "That sounds like JJ Cale!" I was pleased!
    Last edited by robertm2000; 12-25-2017 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I play 3 of his tunes in an Americana trio:
    Lies
    Cajun Moon
    Right Down Here

Musicians love to play his stuff, and the audience loves to hear it. What is better than that? I'm glad he really did get the respect and recognition he deserved in his lifetime. His composing/publishing royalties must have been sweet, Skynyrd and Clapton had big selling hits with his songs..Call Me the Breeze, After Midnight, Cocaine..

User Info Menu

Fans should get his tour documentary - absoluteley worth watching:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    I play 3 of his tunes in an Americana trio:
    Lies
    Cajun Moon
    Right Down Here

Musicians love to play his stuff, and the audience loves to hear it. What is better than that? I'm glad he really did get the respect and recognition he deserved in his lifetime. His composing/publishing royalties must have been sweet, Skynyrd and Clapton had big selling hits with his songs..Call Me the Breeze, After Midnight, Cocaine..
    The story JJ Cale tells is that he recorded After Midnight, and sold it to Eric Clapton. Shortly after that, Cale was driving in Oklahoma, if I recall correctly, and was shocked to hear the song played on the radio. He was so surprised that he pulled over to the side of the road to listen. Then, as JJ put it "I knew I had something. Went out and bought a Chevrolet!"

User Info Menu

This is probably my favorite version because of his soloing:

User Info Menu

I agree with all the posts, I really loved JJ, what a writer and a great player, that knew when not to play.
    I used to work at a Holiday Inn(Austin) in the engineering dept and I had to work late one night and JJ was
    staying at the hotel. I really wanted to go see him, but I found out that the venue was sold out. As
    luck would have it, when I was walking out of the hotel to go home, I happen to see JJ walking out to his
    bus. So I walked over to just let him know I was a fan, as I walked up and shook his hand, he said
    so are coming to the show tonight. I said, I'd like to but I found out there are no tickets available,
    JJ says talk to my road Mgr., he's over there he'll hook you up. I could not believe it. JJ was so down
    to earth, really laid back. What a great experience and a great show !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by txguitar View Post
    I agree with all the posts, I really loved JJ, what a writer and a great player, that knew when not to play.
    I used to work at a Holiday Inn(Austin) in the engineering dept and I had to work late one night and JJ was
    staying at the hotel. I really wanted to go see him, but I found out that the venue was sold out. As
    luck would have it, when I was walking out of the hotel to go home, I happen to see JJ walking out to his
    bus. So I walked over to just let him know I was a fan, as I walked up and shook his hand, he said
    so are coming to the show tonight. I said, I'd like to but I found out there are no tickets available,
    JJ says talk to my road Mgr., he's over there he'll hook you up. I could not believe it. JJ was so down
    to earth, really laid back. What a great experience and a great show !
    Wonderful experience you had.

Merry Christmas from a fellow Austinite :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk