The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes haggard had roy nichols with him for years..highly rated picker in his own right (rip)..a legend....but when haggard went into the studio..he liked to have james burton in there!!!
    Merle also had Clint Strong for awhile.
    Here's a snippet of Clint teaching how to transcribe. It's not rockabilly but it's a valuable lesson, and his examples are jazzy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Herco, heavy. You can use them like a flatpick, too. The mediums are too flexy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

i like the hercos too...they feel the most like a typical "celluloid style" pick..in old days i used national..whites..used to reshape the picking surface edges...very tight on thumb they are...hercos are comfy..and you can put'em back nearer the thumb joint (like i mentioned ^)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    \ Heat ‘em up in hot water and stretch/reshape ‘em for optimum fit.
    hah..haven't done/thought about that in a long time!!! the old tricks!!! still great

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    You can use a thumb pick as a flat pick if you don’t mind doing mostly downstrokes. They are less friendly on upstrokes. I never got used to a flat pick myself and really like the control and handiness of a thumb pick. It’s always “right there” where I want it.
    For me it's the opposite: using a thumb pick has lead to a change in the way I hold a flatpick. I'm liking the results but I want to see if they last more than a week before saying anything else about them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    For me it's the opposite: using a thumb pick has lead to a change in the way I hold a flatpick. I'm liking the results but I want to see if they last more than a week before saying anything else about them.
    I know what you mean and I remember having that sensation for awhile: time with the thumb pick trained how I felt with the flat pick. But I always kind of reverted back to the feeling of lacking exactitude with the flat pick. I don’t why. I used to flat pick bluegrass lines, and everything else and just never loved the flat pick. Eventually the index finger became a great friend for single note lines (a la Hubert Sumlin or JJ Cale), and I sometimes use a thumb pick for lines depending on the sound I want.

If I didn’t feel horribly limited with the flat pick I wouldn’t have explored other directions, and I’m glad I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Don't forget Tommy Emmanuel. He has a few boom chick lessons on Truefire (I have the first one and can recommend it). There are also many videos of him explaining his style on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Here's Knopfler doing one of JJ's songs.

I found a copy of the whole CD as a YouTube video augmented with lots of photos. Made a separate thread of that, for fear of derailing this one any further!. (My apologies.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-24-2017 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Company has left and at last I got a chance to record with the iphone. Just one chorus of a generic rockabilly backing (-only slower).

Sent this straight from the iPhone to YouTube without. Hence the absence of a title frame. Guitar's not plugged in. May monkey with the placement of the phone, but one has to start somewhere and "this must be the place." Be kind---it's the holiday season! ;o)

User Info Menu

nice..intro line based on the classic old blues -junco partner...performed by many..inc our louis jordan...but, here's nice version by bay area legend mike wilhelm...just about the best/most knowledgeable on the west coast for vintage authentic blues/folk picking

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Company has left and at last I got a chance to record with the iphone. Just one chorus of a generic rockabilly backing (-only slower).

Sent this straight from the iPhone to YouTube without. Hence the absence of a title frame. Guitar's not plugged in. May monkey with the placement of the phone, but one has to start somewhere and "this must be the place." Be kind---it's the holiday season! ;o)

Lovely! Love your hammered-on third. That’s the stuff.

I wear my thumb pick low too, a bit close to the thumb joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If I sit down to play dedicated Chet or Merle, I use a Fred Kelly thumb pick. If I'm working with a band, I use a Fender 358 heavy pick and use my fingers as needed. I've been doing it this way for so long that it's just part of my playing. I tried the James Burton thing with using a fingerpick on my middle finger but couldn't get used to it or would forget to put it on. I've always used the fleshy pad of my fingers - I don't like the feel (or sound) of using nails.

User Info Menu

Hey Phill Baugh is awesome, can't believe I never heard of him.

Maybe the way he practiced might have been the real key to his facility.

I don't think his choice of thumbpick had anything at all to do with it. But then I like practicing more than buying stuff.

D.

User Info Menu

I have enjoyed playing this style for many years...cant say that I do it great, but I get by. I used to play with herco but switched to Fred Kelly and use those for everything,,,guitar, steel, banjo...they really feel good to me. I might have overlooked it, but I didnt see Thom Bresh listed...Merle's son and a great entertainer. Merle's style was so influential and addictive to me...love it !

Last edited by pcpicker47; 02-25-2018 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    I have enjoyed playing this style for many years...cant say that I do it great, but I get by. I used to play with herco but switched to Fred Kelly and use those for everything,,,guitar, steel, banjo...they really feel good to me. I might have overlooked it, but I didnt see Thom Bresh listed...Merle's song and a great entertainer. Merle's style was so influential and addictive to me...love it !
    Thom Bresh is a fine player and entertainer. I've enjoyed a lot of his stuff.

User Info Menu

What I always found remarkable is that, unless I'm mistaken, Merle Travis played with his thumb and just one finger not fingers. The great Rev. Gary Davis did the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by picodogg
    What I always found remarkable is that, unless I'm mistaken, Merle Travis played with his thumb and just one finger not fingers. The great Rev. Gary Davis did the same thing.
    Yes you are absolutely right ! And how he got all of that sound and speed with just the one finger is truly remarkable ! When Chet heard Merle play on the radio, he said he knew thats what he wanted to be able to do, but in copying it came up with a different approach,,,both in the thumb work and by using all of his fingers. Chets thumb played alternating bass on the bottom 3 strings whereas Merle just tried to keep a bass line and chord sound going and often played thru several of the bottom strings to create his sound. I read where Chet said that if it werent for Merle, he would have still been looking at the rear end of a mule plowing fields. Chet named his daughter "Merle" after Merle Travis.

User Info Menu

Merle Travis doing "Lost John". I love this song.

User Info Menu

that's cause merle had his right hand pinky looped through his bigsby vibrato arm!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I just starting getting into this. This is a nice channel;

User Info Menu

thanks Stevebol for posting that...cool stuff !! I am going to work on those