Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't mind you spamming TDPRI and TGP, but how about treating us to some jazz for once?

How about you simply quit clicking on the "Other Styles" section and spare us the BS. That would be great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by manleyman123 View Post
    How about you simply quit clicking on the "Other Styles" section and spare us the BS. That would be great.

You know ... if maplebaby was an active poster like you, I'd never ask that question .. But all his posting is limited to vids of his band or him playing outside jazz and confined to those threads, which makes me curious

Being him I would probably have replied in this thread .. instead of sending a pm telling me that I'm a sad existance, but different strokes I guess

(But for what it's worth .. I never venture outside the New Posts page and the time of writing didn't know we have an other styles subforum)
    Last edited by Lobomov; 09-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I enjoy the Lexington Lab Band's posts. I am not a member of the LLB, but I know most of them personally. They are a totally non-commercial venture composed simply of musicians in central Kentucky who love music, love great rock, country, and pop, and have developed a community of players who do a wonderful job. They invest enormous time, effort, and resources into making these tribute videos, and gain nothing from it except satisfaction.

Oh, they also get the periodic cheap shot from somebody who doesn't read this forum very deeply, but just surfs the "New Posts" page.

"Other Styles" is the perfect place to post this, and of course, a player of "another style" likely won't be putting jazz clips up because, well, they play "other styles." But the LLB has some very fine guitar players, and that is sufficient for a connection here.

But for what it's worth, Maplebaby has posted a couple jazz clips in the past.

I hope to see more of the LLB's posts in the future.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I enjoy the Lexington Lab Band's posts. I am not a member of the LLB, but I know most of them personally. They are a totally non-commercial venture composed simply of musicians in central Kentucky who love music, love great rock, country, and pop, and have developed a community of players who do a wonderful job. They invest enormous time, effort, and resources into making these tribute videos, and gain nothing from it except satisfaction.
    They do look like a succesful coverband just using different forums to dump they promo material. If it's just a labour of love without any hidden agenda then it's off course another story

User Info Menu

Other styles - with a close connection to Duke Ellington:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    They do look like a succesful coverband just using different forums to dump they promo material. If it's just a labour of love without any hidden agenda then it's off course another story
    Like I said, I know many, possibly most, of the LLB folks. I am sure they periodically get gigs, but what they really are is more like an organization, a "club" of excellent musicians, who work on projects together mainly out of love for the music and enjoyment of trying to combine a faithful duplication of a classic recording with a personal stamp that is more than just "covering" the tunes. So there are several bassists, several guitarists, quite a few drummers and keyboardists, really several "sub" bands within the band.

Anyhow, I am a little embarrassed of this forum being so suspicious and hostile toward a group that is doing great music, and posting periodically in the totally appropriate area of this forum for such posts.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Anyhow, I am a little embarrassed of this forum being so suspicious and hostile toward a group that is doing great music, and posting periodically in the totally appropriate area of this forum for such posts.

Forum is maybe too much as there is only me ... and hostile is maybe also a bit much ... but suspecious is true

The thing is just bare posting of vids without much in turn of storytelling and no other posting otherwise in the forum. A behavior repeated over several online forums. Hard to know what it is if you're outside kentucky ... let alone on the other side of the Atlantic.

But you make them look good Lawson

He's posted chord melody playing, not necessarily jazz, but there's plenty of non jazz. For that matter, there are plenty who ONLY post playing, without a tremendous amount of discussion.

Whatever. I hate the for sale section. I don't care about any thread on players I don't like. I suppose I could stop in to complain. I think there's worse border-line spam. Much more shameless. pretending to actually be discussing something, but always ending with a link to product. I don't see that this is selling anything.

User Info Menu

LLB is not selling anything. Maybe they are giving something away: an idea. What if great musicians created a community built around playing together to celebrate the music and delight the listener, instead to complaining about how hard it is to get gigs?

They have an "episode" on their website called The making of a Band which is the "story." I'd commend it.

And Lobomov, you can snipe at little Kentucky "across the Atlantic" but a lot of great music got made in a tiny little armpit town called Muscle Shoals, Alabama, population of about 13,000 souls. A few obscure musicians might have stumbled into that studio, maybe you've heard of the Allman Brothers, or Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, maybe an obscure brit band called the Rolling Stones? they all recorded in that dumbly little small southern town.

So sometimes people just need to broaden their horizons. That's why I am glad we have that "other styles" section of the forum where we jazzers can step outside our own heads and see what might be happening elsewhere in music. And if you don't want to see it, you don't have to click on it.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

And Lobomov, you can snipe at little Kentucky "across the Atlantic" but
    I hope that outrage is fake.

If it isn't, I hope you'll read more carefully - or more sympathetically - the reasonable expression of others' views.
    Last edited by destinytot; 09-01-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling 'of'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    I hope that outrage is fake.

If it isn't, I hope you'll read more carefully - or more sympathetically - the reasonable expression of others' views.
    I was honestly offended at Lobomov's remarks. He self-confessedly does not read past the "New Posts" page, and took a pot shot at a perfectly legitimate post, impugned the good motives of people I know and admire, and partly excused himself by claiming he didn't know the story because it was from "Kentucky... much less across the Atlantic."

He can find out "the story" by paying attention. 2 minutes is all it would take.

The LLB post was totally appropriate, Lobomov's cracking on it was not.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Maplebaby - superb as always! Thanks for posting!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

He self-confessedly does not read past the "New Posts" page, and took a pot shot at a perfectly legitimate post, impugned the good motives of people I know and admire, and partly excused himself by claiming he didn't know the story because it was from "Kentucky... much less across the Atlantic."
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I agree that geographical distance is no excuse for 'impugning the good motives' of LLB.

Be that as it may, the phrase 'And Lobomov, you can snipe at little Kentucky "across the Atlantic" but...' depicts Lobomov impugning the reputation of Kentucky.

That depiction, I feel, is unwarranted - as the sentence in bold below is a reference to Lobomov's own circumstances:
    Forum is maybe too much as there is only me ... and hostile is maybe also a bit much ... but suspecious is true

The thing is just bare posting of vids without much in turn of storytelling and no other posting otherwise in the forum. A behavior repeated over several online forums. Hard to know what it is if you're outside kentucky ... let alone on the other side of the Atlantic.

But you make them look good Lawson
    Last edited by destinytot; 09-02-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Clarity

User Info Menu

I was honestly offended at Lobomov's remarks. He self-confessedly does not read past the "New Posts" page, and took a pot shot at a perfectly legitimate post, impugned the good motives of people I know and admire, and partly excused himself by claiming he didn't know the story because it was from "Kentucky... much less across the Atlantic."
    It is how you read into things. All I said was that it is hard for someone across the Atlantic (me) to know the local scene in Kentucky.

But how you judge me is up to you Lawson. What matters most to you .. The likes your posts have received from me. My participation in your threads. That I offered my support, when your comparison vid trainwrecked and you wanted to leave the forum ....

... or that LLB received a quick remark from me commenting that their way of posting looked like spam? Something that they've reacted to be sending me a condecending PM commenting my sad existence .. yet nothing here out in the open
    Last edited by Lobomov; 09-02-2017 at 05:15 AM.

User Info Menu

It is how you read into things. All I said was that it is hard for someone across the Atlantic (me) to know the local scene in Kentucky.

But how you judge me is up to you Lawson. What matters most to you .. The likes your posts have received from me. My participation in your threads. That I offered my support, when your comparison vid trainwrecked and you wanted to leave the forum ....

... or that LLB received a quick remark from me commenting that their way of posting looked like spam? Something that they've reacted to be sending me a condecending PM commenting my sad existence .. yet nothing here out in the open
    I realize I was hasty and abrasive in my reaction to your reference to Kentucky, and I let my great appreciation for the LLB cause me to over-react to your comments. I'm sorry for that, and I appreciate your attempt here to keep the conversation open. I'm also sorry to hear you got a bad reply from maplebaby. That did not help matters, I'm sure.

Please accept my regrets for my harsh reaction. I was unfair. I apologize for that.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Please accept my regrets for my harsh reaction. I was unfair. I apologize for that.
    No problems .. If you can't tilt on the internet, where can you tilt?

Cheers Lawson, see you around!

User Info Menu

No problems .. If you can't tilt on the internet, where can you tilt?

Cheers Lawson, see you around!
    Absolutely.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu