The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I thought Villanzon was a striker for AC Milan?
    Well, what do you know about his secret life. But he sure can sing too. Opera Music

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Opera is a fucking stupid artform. Anyone who likes opera accepts this and has moved on. :-)

I was never a huge Opera fan personally. But when it's done well, nothing else quite like it...
    Indeed. I have always found it amusing how loud and strong Manon Lescaut can sing in the last act considering she is to die from severe dehydration a few minutes later in "the desert outside New Orleans". But that's just opera. Opera Music
    Last edited by oldane; 07-08-2017 at 03:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Well that's a running joke no? That Mimi is good voice given she's about to die from consumption, don't cha think? (Oops sorry spoilers)

User Info Menu

Che Gelida Manina - if you sing it with a cold, it sounds like "What a frozen sandwich!" (che gelido panino).

And that works in context - because the next line goes, "Let me warm it up for you".

User Info Menu

I don' live in NYC but have seen two operas at The Met in the last 3 years, Carmen and La Boheme.

I thought that La Boheme was kind of boring. (sorry )

Newcomers to opera may want to start with Carmen. Can't miss.

User Info Menu

First there was The Great Guitars with Kessel et al, then The Guitar Trio? with McLaughlin, De Lucia and Al D, then the three tenors. I was too busy to see the last one (regrets). All three drew bigger crowds than would have been the case with solo performances, and all trios injected some humor into their performances. Here is on such performance:

User Info Menu

All three drew bigger crowds than would have been the case with solo performances, and all trios injected some humor into their performances. Here is on such performance:
    Yeh.. but it's kind of pop thing here...

I don' live in NYC but have seen two operas at The Met in the last 3 years, Carmen and La Boheme.

I thought that La Boheme was kind of boring. (sorry )

Newcomers to opera may want to start with Carmen. Can't miss.
    Both are masterpieces... you see the thing is you should not listen to an opera as a set of songs - even the one like Carmen that has very catchy tunes in it... I mean that the means of Carme and La Boheme are different but general logics is the same.. and you dont catch it if you dont hear it.

I didnt dig operas for quite a long - it just happened onnce that suddenly I got it - I was already adult person)

User Info Menu

Opera is a fucking stupid artform. Anyone who likes opera accepts this and has moved on. :-)

I was never a huge Opera fan personally. But when it's done well, nothing else quite like it...
    that's so true...

Opera as a concept seems absurd... people sing all the time where they should talk, big fat primadonnas pretend to be young beauties...
    wounded heros die for 15 minutes singing most powerful arias... etc.

So when it's made poorly all these features get so obvious that you cant stand it...

But when it's done good... it's more than anuthing else.. . and partly on the same reason.
    We cannot rationally explain why we believe that 'slim' Pavarotti in his 40s be so convincing as 18 years old kid... but he is convinicing..

We just have nothing to do but to believe in miracle)

User Info Menu

I found the marriage of Figaro a bit dull and prefer Don Giovanni. I don't mistake this deficiency in my taste as objectively correct. I am just a bad person.

User Info Menu

Some Verdi I do like - Falstaff for instance, the Requiem (I'm always a sucker for oratorio though.) I think I liked that because it's more contrapuntal - he really shedded that stuff over his life, wonder how much it was to with being rejected from the academy...
    Verdi was amateur.. I mean essentially, his approach to music is amateur-ish...
    Same was Wagner...

Sometimes you can really hear that he just did not master conventional language enough (I would say in comparison to Tchaikovsky or Schumann for example who were absolutely in professional stream)...

But they do with such naive directness and sincerity that you just cannot resist it

About month ago I had a chance to listen to "Rheingeld' In Karlsruhe...
    There's nothing better for listening Wagner than some 'not the top' regional Germany theater.. some things better some thigs but everything is so natural...

And it really stroke how unbelievably direct Wagner (it's an early oper) he uses such primitive moves... but still it works alltogether

Of course in later ones he was more subtle but still the y had the same pieces... so strangely helpless.

And Verdi all comes from Italian singing tradition... both opear tradition and street and folk songs... popular operas originated in '700 Venice...

Besides at the moment there was no real Italian music on professional level already, as a live event (as it was Germany at this period)... it was all gone completely in renaissance and baroque.

User Info Menu

Not a patch on Italian melody, but Gilbert and Sullivan are a wonderful part of English heritage:

User Info Menu

I found the marriage of Figaro a bit dull and prefer Don Giovanni.

I don't mistake this deficiency in my taste as objectively correct.

I am just a bad person.
    Maybe even worst?

Give Mozart as many attemts as possible... with no exceptions. You won't regret.

I had 5 attempts on Marriage of Figaro...

By the way try Ingmar Bergman's 'Magic Flute' - for me best opera film ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Maybe even worst?

Give Mozart as many attemts as possible... with no exceptions. You won't regret.

Thanks for this, Jonah!

User Info Menu

Perfect music for that fabulous scene:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Maybe even worst?

Actually TBF, I like Figaro, just think it drags a bit compared to Giovanni...

User Info Menu

Thanks for this, Jonah!
    You are welcome!

Bergman was one of a few film directors that really heard and understood music.. it's interesting how he used it in his movies.
    In his memoires he said that being young he directed operas already and he had lots of problems becasue he had no musical education,
    he said it took hours when they sat over the score with the conductor... but he could just hear and understand what was going on.
    It's another proof that musicality is not related to education.

In 'Autumn sonata' he uses the same piece of Chopin played twice by daughter and then by mother as probably strongest dramatic point of the movie (interesting that both pieces were performed by his then wife - Kabi Laretei - I wonder what did he tell her? How did he explained what he wanted to have in both performance?

By the way I really recommend his late movie... a chamber almost theatrical work 'In the presence of a clown' that is all built around Schubert and his music.

User Info Menu

Baz Luhrmann's La Bohème is accessible (and perhaps a bit kitsch). Very sympathetic leads.