The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

This is an old thread but I've just found this. We're familiar with Tony Rice's bluegrass virtuosity but the speed and clarity of his picking is still astounding. Just dashes it off so casually :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is an old thread but I've just found this. We're familiar with Tony Rice's bluegrass virtuosity but the speed and clarity of his picking is still astounding. Just dashes it off so casually :-)
    Imagine how much hard work it must take to make it look that easy . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Imagine how much hard work it must take to make it look that easy . . .
    I really don't know. He's been doing it all his life and obviously had a massive residual talent. I do know he's paid a dreadful price for the constant strain put on his body. That aside, things were never quite the same after Tony Rice.

User Info Menu

Does this count?

User Info Menu

Kind of :-)

But flatpicking is usually acoustic Bluegrass etc. I mean, Joe Pass used a pick but I wouldn't call him a flatpicker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    How could we not mention the great Robert bowling!?

This blows my freekin mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Robert Bowlin. Great fiddler to, Bill Monroes last fiddler. I play the fiddle he played with Monroe.

User Info Menu

Late to the party here...I love flatpicking fiddle tunes. Tony is my hand's down favorite. The coordination between his left and right hand is astounding. Tony's hand's did give up on him. Doc's were pretty much intact to the end. Doc used to plug in.Tony never plugged in always playing into a mic. Playing bluegrass music into microphones is physically demanding.

Later in his career he started playing chord melody type solo guitar. Here is Shenadoah.

This instruction DVD of his is a joy to watch and listen to. You get to hear his D28 in an very intimate way. Loads of great instruction and knowledge. I never get tired of it.

Tony Rice Guitar Method | Homespun

Finally a great CD where you get to hear many of the masters all in one place:

Bryan Sutton - Not Too Far From The Tree - Amazon.com Music

User Info Menu

Matt Munisteri does some nice work with the old style of flatpicking on the works of Nick Lucas and Eddie Lang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes

This instruction DVD of his is a joy to watch and listen to. You get to hear his D28 in an very intimate way. Loads of great instruction and knowledge. I never get tired of it.

Tony Rice Guitar Method | Homespun
    That's a great one, all right -- I like this version even better than the one by Garcia/Grisman on Not For Kids Only. I don't have Tony's Homespun DVD yet -- most of my stuff from them is by Steve Kaufman -- but it's on my list for this year.

User Info Menu

Mark O'Connor then and now...and I won't even go into the mandolin and fiddle...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Mark O'Connor then and now...and I won't even go into the mandolin and fiddle...

My daughter's fiddle teacher let me borrow a Mark O'Connor CD called The Championship Years: 1975-1984, and I had a hard time giving it back in a timely manner. It's all good, but he has three different versions of "Grey Eagle, " from different years in that span, and they're all astonishing.

He also does a couple of different variations of "Tom and Jerry," but I think my favorite one of that tune is the one he did on Dan Crary's Guitar album.

So convinced am I that O'Connor can make good music on anything with strings, that I'd pay good money just to hear what he could do with one of my old gym shoes.

User Info Menu

I love that Mark O'Connor vid--I saw him years ago with the Dixie Dregs. Superlative picker.

User Info Menu

I understand they had to change the rules of the National flatpicking contest because O’Connor kept winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I understand they had to change the rules of the National flatpicking contest because O’Connor kept winning it.
    Very interesting. Info graphic about it at the end of this vid:

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench