The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 89

User Info Menu

Looking for some non-jazz stuff to work on. Anyone have suggestions of resources or people to listen for good flat picking/bluegrass?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been listening to some of this stuff recently. A player who gets mentioned a lot is Tony Rice.

User Info Menu

Tony Rice is more recent (and very good).

Doc Watson is maybe a guy who opened up the ears of people a while back.

Clarence White was a great player, too.

User Info Menu

There are so many good flatpickers today that it kinda boggles the mind. As others have said - Doc, Clarence, Tony. I will mention David Grier. He has a particular sensibility and a wacky sense of humour. Aside from his compositions, improvisational imagination and flawless technique, other musicians have been left speechless by his rhythm playing. I may be perverse but I always measure a musician by their abilty to play in a supporting role. After all, as guitarists we are mostly providing accompaniment. And I think if you listen to the aforesaid players, you will find the same true.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It intrigues me that the bluegrass flatpickers seem to be doing things the hardest way possible, i.e. playing solos at dazzling speed on an acoustic dreadnought guitar with heavy strings, often with little amplification, maybe just standing near to a microphone or something.

Yet they manage it somehow. Makes me think they may have some technique tips which would be useful for jazz guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It intrigues me that the bluegrass flatpickers seem to be doing things the hardest way possible, i.e. playing solos at dazzling speed on an acoustic dreadnought guitar with heavy strings, often with little amplification, maybe just standing near to a microphone or something.

Yet they manage it somehow. Makes me think they may have some technique tips which would be useful for jazz guitarists.
    That's what caught my interest. I spent an hour or two working on cross picking on my acoustic then went and played a jazz gig on my archtop. It felt like my right hand had super powers.

User Info Menu

In addition to Doc, Clarence, Tony, and Bryan, David Grier is a mighty fair picker, too. Also, check out Dan Crary, Kenny Smith, and don't forget about The Champ . . . Steve Kaufman (whose father was a jazz musician). Have fun!

Lady's Fancy - YouTube
    Kenny Smith - YouTube

User Info Menu

Dan Crary

User Info Menu

Scott Nygaard was editor of Acoustic Guitar Magazine for a number of years.

User Info Menu

Eli West is a great flat picker from Seattle. He recently released a duo album with Bill Frisell. No showboating here; just making good music.
    Last edited by KirkP; 03-02-2017 at 03:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I listened to Tony Rice a lot, especially in the 1980's. He has an interesting sense of time including playing ahead or behind and sprinkles in a few jazz-like voicings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I listened to Tony Rice a lot, especially in the 1980's. He has an interesting sense of time including playing ahead or behind and sprinkles in a few jazz-like voicings.
    Tone Poems is a great album. Anything with Tony Rice and/or David Grisman is always worth a listen.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have some listening to do!

Even the week or so of practice I've put into cross picking has shown some great improvements in my RH control. Need to work up some repertoire next.

User Info Menu

i bought the PG Music Master Flatpicking solos...im totally new to this and i can now play 10 of them in a few weeks since ive had it...its different and it feels great..total respect for all players of this genre..Doc Watson etc etc Master Flatpick Guitar Solos - Features

User Info Menu

Norman Blake, Tony Rice and Sean Watkins.

User Info Menu

51 songs in Band-in-a-Box format, free with this standalone product. If you're a Band-in-a-Box user, you'll find the songs in the FGSOLO50 directory in your main install directory. No need to buy it if you hAVE BB..but the standalone is cool to have

User Info Menu

Some nice links to picking techniques there. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Looking for some non-jazz stuff to work on. Anyone have suggestions of resources or people to listen for good flat picking/bluegrass?
    Bryan Sutton

David Grier

Grant Gordy and Ross Martin
    Great take on BSL metheny

His solo album is amazing
    Any matt flinner album is amazing too

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Steve Kaufman's materials -- especially his Parking Lot Picker series -- have done my flatpicking a world of good. Check it out!

Steves-Complete-Online-Store

Homespun Instructors / Steve Kaufman | Homespun

User Info Menu

Funnty thing.. I am into it now too... kind of trend?)))

Actually from time to time I like to explore other styles of American music...

What I am doing now with bluegrass I just check some videos I like David Grier.. Bryan Sutton.. and others... and I try pick basic patterns they use and make combinations of it in a song...

By the way - Why do they all (or almost all) play dreadnoughts? I like jumbos more)))

User Info Menu

As with any more or less folk style.. I think it is almost impossible to be really authentic if you did not groe in it... like with flamenco... you can be ok with more or less international flamenco nuovo.. but you can hardly do real falmenco they do somewhere in the deep corners of Andaluzia...

With bluegrass I also like stylistic crossovers, in a way it opens a door for a guy who did not grow up in this culture, did not hear these tunes since he was a kid..

Julian today seems to be one of the most natural players in crossovers today... he deeply gets into each style (not just catching new instrument and playing the same old thing) and instrument and last years he seems to melt them into a very natural integral style

User Info Menu

Maybe going a little off topic.....but hybrid picking (like Albert Lee) looks interesting. I can just about hold a plectrum. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to use a plectrum AND fingers.

User Info Menu

Here's another sample of mixing styles... some hyprid chicein - pickin, some bluegrass, some blues, some gospel ... and some overdriven tele. And sounds very natural and fresh to me..

By the wa is it not where tele twang comes from? This muted acoustic bass picking?

Some bluegrass players use chicken-pickin - Doc maybe? I cant remember who...

User Info Menu

As perr OP question...

That's what I did...

First I found some basic excersise for bluegrass cross-picking.. something like that. It's simple but it represents the approach clearlyy

then I took a few simple tunes - first was Whiskey Before Breakfast.. it was tutorial demo.. but if you already know the guitar - you do not need to by anything... these demos have already ecerything there

I took a few different versions

Orrin's I like because it incorporates double-stop piccking, strumming... and in teh B section he plays that nice fiddle bass line (usually in solo versions they drop it out)

This one is pretty basic but uses typical crosspicking patterns a lot... but check the note choice he does in B section.. sounds like Charlie parker changes

Then I took Beaumont Rag (obviously named after our Mr. Beaumont)

I took David Grieer's video...
    First he plays complicated version but then he plays basic one very slowly so you can see everything and then he shows what he does to spice it...

Actually it took about a week (and maybe 2 hours of pure practice time)... I dont say I play itt hat fast and perfect but I cautht the idea.. and already played some fun music for my kids to dance))))
    Last edited by Jonah; 04-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.