Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice

Somewhere I have some of VL's Etudes from my classical days ..

I keep thinking of digging them back out and working on some of them

User Info Menu

I wish the recording were better!
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Wow, just wow. No wonder Metheny loves this guy. All that and jazz too...

He has an incredible facility with the fretboard. It's hard to say how this would compare to some of the best recordings of those pieces, such as by Julian Bream. Given the issues with sound quality on the above recording, it sounds like Pasquale plays much louder and more forcefully. Bream is usually very gentle on the strings.

I can't believe this is the same guy as on the jazz recordings. I don't know any player who is as good on both jazz (steel string) and traditional classical repertoire. Amazing talent.

(BTW I play a couple of Villa Lobos Preludes, but there's no way in this lifetime I could play those Etudes at speed like this.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post

He has an incredible facility with the fretboard. It's hard to say how this would compare to some of the best recordings of those pieces, such as by Julian Bream. Given the issues with sound quality on the above recording, it sounds like Pasquale plays much louder and more forcefully. Bream is usually very gentle on the strings.

I can't believe this is the same guy as on the jazz recordings. I don't know any player who is as good on both jazz (steel string) and traditional classical repertoire. Amazing talent.

(BTW I play a couple of Villa Lobos Preludes, but there's no way in this lifetime I could play those Etudes at speed like this.)
    I think Adam Rogers played classical guitar.

User Info Menu

I've always thought that classical guitar training is a great foundation for jazz .... I studied classical for a few years while working on my Bachelor's degree .. got great lesson rates through my University's music college even though I was an engineering major ... and I think it really helps with my jazz efforts

On the down side .. I find myself much more critical of jazz players' technique, accuracy, and intonation than I probably should be .... there are some Joe Pass and Johnny Smith recordings that just make me cringe even though I usually love their playing

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post

It's just brutal guitar playing. It's not like PG is dabbling in one or the other - he has mastered both.

I'm not greatly knoweldgable about classical guitar, but this sounds very much like a modern approach.

I grew up with Julian Bream's recordings so that's the style I'm predisposed towards (my dad gave John Williams pretty short shrift haha).

User Info Menu

I know very little about classical guitar but I have enjoyed watching the Julian Bream masterclasses that the BBC filmed in the '70s. They're on iPlayer and the Villa-Lobos episode is on YouTube:

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

User Info Menu

I think there are a lot guitarists playing jazz on classical guitar but can not find guitarist playing classical staff on jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    I think there are a lot guitarists playing jazz on classical guitar but can not find guitarist playing classical staff on jazz guitar.
    err, playing rasgueados that sound good on a steel string guitar, not happening.

When my teacher was gigging, even though he played in every context a jazz and classical musician can play in, from symphony orchestra concertos to big band comping to every small group or ensemble in between, he said the bulk of his income in the second part of his career came from solo amplified nylon guitar.

No one came close to representing the breadth and scope of repertoire: he said at any given moment, he had 5 hours of material prepared for a gig: from Great American Songbook, jazz standards, showtunes, Cuban and Brazilian music, light classical, Spanish pieces, baroque and classical repertoire from Bach and Vivaldi to Villa Lobs and Brower, et al.
    Navdeep Singh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Boom!

can he play Chaccone of J.S.Bach with the pick?...:-)

User Info Menu

I know B.Galbraith arr.of Bach inventions for jazz guitar...I have a CD and book of BG.
    Great staff for jazz guitarists.
    Last edited by kris; 01-15-2017 at 10:07 AM.