Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

This might be cool if you were a Chicago fan back when they were on the edge. Hopefully it will make it for distribution soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images Terry Kath documentary-180d1ec0-2051-430e-9e00-a507984aa7a2-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been following this from its crowd funding origin and glad to see it is completed. I am looking forward to it.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

User Info Menu

I thought he was great, died way too young.

User Info Menu

My first album was Chicago - Transit Authority. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th were Chicago II, III and V. To this day their first album is still one of my all time favorites.

User Info Menu

the Whiskey in Los Angeles may be one of its most famous clubs..I was surprised how small it was..possibly 300 seats at the time I went there to see Albert King as the headliner..and CTA the opening act..so I was more than impressed with Chicago..they played most if not all the tunes on their first album .. I sat up in the mezzanine when Terry walked past me and I said something like "terrific stuff.." and he came over and sat down and actually asked me if I really thought is was good and stuff like that and I assured him it was..like he needed my assurance...

I was very happy for their success and sad that Terry passed before he could see the tremendous following and success the group would have..
    play well ...
    wolf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    the Whiskey in Los Angeles may be one of its most famous clubs..I was surprised how small it was..possibly 300 seats at the time I went there to see Albert King as the headliner..and CTA the opening act..so I was more than impressed with Chicago..they played most if not all the tunes on their first album .. I sat up in the mezzanine when Terry walked past me and I said something like "terrific stuff.." and he came over and sat down and actually asked me if I really thought is was good and stuff like that and I assured him it was..like he needed my assurance...

I was very happy for their success and sad that Terry passed before he could see the tremendous following and success the group would have..
    I read a number of account from surviving members of the original band that moving from Chicago to LA was a leap of faith and their parents expected them to crawl home in six months.

Cool story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    I think he was well aware of it. He died pretty much at their peak as far as having a devoted following. I believe just after the Chicago XI album ( which I really liked). It was sort of downhill from there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    I think he was well aware of it. He died pretty much at their peak as far as having a devoted following. I believe just after the Chicago XI album ( which I really liked). It was sort of downhill from there.
    Yeah, there are some youtube videos of Chicago playing a New Year's Rockin' Eve. Back in those days you couldn't get much bigger than that. I don't know if anyone could know for sure how he would have liked the sappiness that the band later embraced.

User Info Menu

I was fortunate to meet him in 1973....very nice guy. He talked for about ten minutes and gave an autograph.
    Tragic loss to the other band members and the music world.

User Info Menu

I believe that AXS TV is broadcasting the documentary tonight if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

The CNN documentary on the band was really good.

User Info Menu

Just watched his daughter's bio-documentary. I thought that it was truly well done on many levels. Neat subplot and ending.

User Info Menu

I don’t have access to AXS (pun?), but I hope this hits Netflix or Amazon Prime soon.

User Info Menu

All I can tell you is that it was really well done. It seemed like a real honest portrayal with lots of insight from all of the other band members, friends and family. One of the best roc docs that I recall seeing in a long time.

User Info Menu

Saw a couple places that it will be out on BluRay December 12.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to that. He was a truly underrated player. He could have fronted his own band and might have been up there with Clapton, Joe Walsh, etc. He was also a great soulful singer.

Listening to his work one is impressed with the intensity of his soloing, the live (and studio) recordings of 25 or 6 to 4 as a prime example. I mean, we've all seen Clapton, Hendrix, Santana--but they all seem a bit subdued when Kath really gets going.

User Info Menu

Love the story of their gig when they realize "Hendrix is here!". After the gig, back in the dressing room and they're all wow, man Hendrix is here when the dressing room door opens and Hendrix walks in ..." Man, you guys are Mother#$$rs".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    Looking forward to that. He was a truly underrated player. He could have fronted his own band and might have been up there with Clapton, Joe Walsh, etc. He was also a great soulful singer.

Listening to his work one is impressed with the intensity of his soloing, the live (and studio) recordings of 25 or 6 to 4 as a prime example. I mean, we've all seen Clapton, Hendrix, Santana--but they all seem a bit subdued when Kath really gets going.
    It is hard to tell where he would have gone if he didn't die so young. Drugs and alcohol, etc. Also, I think that he eventually became a bit constrained by the Chicago band format. Constrained isn't even the right word because it may have even been the breadth of the band that constrained him. He had tons of talent and definitely was a better vocalist than any of the other guitar heavy weights of that era that went on to mega stardom. Leaps and bounds better. The guy had soul. No doubt about it. It is guys like Terry Kath that give me a lot of inspiration. I am not a total theory and musical notation train wreck, but compared to a lot of other musicians I have very meager abilities in those directions. Hearing it, feeling it and playing it keep me thinking that there is a place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaco View Post
    Love the story of their gig when they realize "Hendrix is here!". After the gig, back in the dressing room and they're all wow, man Hendrix is here when the dressing room door opens and Hendrix walks in ..." Man, you guys are Mother#$$rs".
    I would imagine that Hendrix was not only impressed by his playing, but by his singing as well. I think that Hendrix was notorious for doubting his own singing abilities and probably saw him as someone that put his all into it with huge feel. It seemed like all the anecdotes in the film were totally genuine. Really great work IMHO and his family has lots to be proud of because of it.

User Info Menu

When will they ever induct Terry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? And Chicago, too??
    --Jay

User Info Menu

Blows my mind. Kath was...just excellent.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayv999 View Post
    When will they ever induct Terry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? And Chicago, too??
    They were inducted about a year ago. Terry’s daughter attended. Cetera stayed home. Seraphine did perform with the band during the induction, but he was not invited back permanently.