Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I'm a 20 year old jazz fusion guitarist and keyboardist, and a good friend of mine really wants to be a performing hip hop artist. Over many(!) beers on many occassions, we've reached the conclusion that we HAVE TO DO A hip hop project.

We're starting to talk seriously about it now. Any advice on how to work in a genre like this for me as the music composer? I asked him to find a BPM and a "hook" he likes and we'll work with a piano from there. Good plan?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I were you, I'd drink more beers ....
    Make a jazz noise here

destinytot Guest
    Just wanted to say that sounds like a plan to me.

(I've just got involved with a reggae project that seems kind of similar; the leader raps and sings live over a pre-recorded base, then there's live electric bass and guitar. The leader's a smart and disciplined guy who knows how to do the numbers.)

Anyway, just wanted to encourage you.

And I hope Stevebol sees this thread!

User Info Menu

I agree you need to drink a lot more beer. I would start with just working up some covers of early Roots who had a Jazz influence then, also US3 and Roy Hargrove's RH Factor. US3 and Jazzamtazz really started the Hip Hop Jazz and Roy Hargroove really refined it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Torch-Ex...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://www.amazon.com/Jazzmatazz-1-...DM6KR2KH6M2FAX

https://smile.amazon.com/Hard-Groove...3SPH0NDRC0A575

User Info Menu

I had an acoustic rap project some years ago. We worked on the same guidelines -- let the singer/rapper develop his own melodies, and I structured chords underneath. I brought a few instrumentals to the mix and that gave him carte-blanche, but (and this is not a slam) in that genre, vocalists don't often have much musical education, so my job (as with any backing gig) was to be supportive and work with what was on the table.

It was a hell of a lot of fun while it lasted, and helped me grow as a guitarist. Good luck and happy playing.

ETA: +1 on listening to the Roots. Sco's A Go Go, with them backing, is a great primer on funk. Another good band to check out for rap over live instrumentation is G-Love and Special Sauce.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 06-23-2016 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

fo' shizzle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody View Post
    I'm a 20 year old jazz fusion guitarist and keyboardist, and a good friend of mine really wants to be a performing hip hop artist. Over many(!) beers on many occassions, we've reached the conclusion that we HAVE TO DO A hip hop project.

We're starting to talk seriously about it now. Any advice on how to work in a genre like this for me as the music composer? I asked him to find a BPM and a "hook" he likes and we'll work with a piano from there. Good plan?
    In the US the game is changing fast. There's this;

Then there's this;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody View Post

What are you waiting for? get some beats popping and get to it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Forty seconds in - laughing so much I nearly spilt my gin and juice...
    (Laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind....)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Word..
    I was cleaning my AK and almost blew my own foot off.

destinytot Guest
    Word..
    I was cleaning my AK and almost blew my own foot off.
    Well, I choked so hard I lost count of all that money on my mind.

User Info Menu

Slim Shady..
    I mean Slim Jesus. Slim Jesus. Eminem's kid is in the game too;

He has that whole 'Village of the Damned' look working for him;

User Info Menu

"I turned off The Departed for a movie bout' a bee....."

User Info Menu

Well, I choked so hard I lost count of all that money on my mind.
    On a serious note, 'Molly' is a serious song. It's the only serious song Lil Dicky and Brandon Urie have done. I think it's the millennials 'Purple Rain'. Who's Molly, why doesn't she like rap, does she like rap, does she love Dicky, did he actually write it for a friend as some people claim...
    I think millennials are sick of playing the fool 24/7 and this is their time.

destinytot Guest
    He has that whole 'Village of the Damned' look working for him;

destinytot Guest
    On a serious note, 'Molly' is a serious song. It's the only serious song Lil Dicky and Brandon Urie have done. I think it's the millennials 'Purple Rain'. Who's Molly, why doesn't she like rap, does she like rap, does she love Dicky, did he actually write it for a friend as some people claim...
    I think millennials are sick of playing the fool 24/7 and this is their time.
    I've just watched Professional Rapper ​- clever stuff.

User Info Menu

Check out the guy on left in 'Drill Time'. He's talking to a stack of bills like it's a cell phone.

User Info Menu

Rap and beer? Uh oh, smoke some ganja, son!