The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi, For all Bossa Nova players please go to this site, Christophe Rousseau On Yahoo videos and you will
    find one of the best guitarist and an extensive collection of videos. He is French but apparently lived in
    Brazil. I find this one of the best resources to learn this intriguing style of Bossa Nova Guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can you post a link?

Hi, Just put( Christophe Rousseau Bossa Nova guitar Yahoo Videos) in your search box and you will find it.

User Info Menu

Norman2, I would also like the link as Jazzism requested. I'm not seeing what you are describing when I search "Christophe Rousseau Bossa Nova guitar Yahoo Videos". Thanks....

User Info Menu

YouTube site Christophe ROusseau:

If you like this style, worth to be aware to listen to Jean Yves Mestre, musicMe : musique gratuite, telechargement mp3, video-clips HD, another French guitarist who plays and sings bossa-nova, he is one of the few able to offset the melody singing against the guitar playing, what Joao Gilberto is renowned for
    Last edited by mhch; 02-23-2016 at 03:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, this guy is great. I am a fan of Romero Lubambo who regularly accompanies Luciana Souza. His work with the 7 string guitar is exceptional. Bossa nova is one of my all time favorite styles.

Saludos de Panamá.....

Ron

destinytot Guest
    After spending years copying João Gilberto, I recorded this live at London's Pizza on the Park with some of the UK's finest jazz players (almost 15 years ago):

User Info Menu

Other YouTube pages of interest, in case you didn't know these guys yet

https://www.youtube.com/user/lawnelson/videos // *** Quite a lot, Right Hand Fingerings well visible

https://www.youtube.com/user/yoshiroliterario/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/troubleclef/playlists // Quite a lot as well
    Last edited by mhch; 02-23-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Hi, Another way is search for Christophe Rousseau on You tube
    Norman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch

If you like this style, worth to be aware to listen to Jean Yves Mestre, musicMe : musique gratuite, telechargement mp3, video-clips HD, another French guitarist who plays and sings bossa-nova, he is one of the few able to offset the melody singing against the guitar playing, what Joao Gilberto is renowned for

I am not sure what you mean when you use the word "offset". Does this mean the vocal timing is somehow offset vs the guitar rhythm?

User Info Menu

Exactly. The sung melody is sometimes displaced vs. the chords being played. Please excuse my wording, English isn't my native language (I'm French).

User Info Menu

Exactly. The sung melody is sometimes displaced vs. the chords being played. Please excuse my wording, English isn't my native language (I'm French).

....and is there any better marriage of a language and its' music than bossa nova / samba and Portuguese ?....

.......I believe you learn the 'the chords' to play the music - upon its' instrument - the guitar....then, to sing it, you learn the language and once you do, the music will tell you where it wants to go......

......for me, when it's that music and that language done /sung correctly, the result is absolute magic !

User Info Menu

Here is the exquisite Rosa Passos......

destinytot Guest
    Love Rosa Passos.

For me, the benefits of playing this music transcend boundaries of style - 'imitation, assimilation, innovation' and all that 'jazz' - because the real pay-off is in subtle nuanced phrasing of improvised lines.

I believe that's what bossa nova teaches via exemplification.

I feel I'm at the 'assimilation' stage, and I'm doing what I can to apply what I've learned to other styles (over other grooves and 'back beats').

Here's a clip of 'imitation':
    Last edited by destinytot; 02-26-2016 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice, destinytot, relaxed, smooth, and stylish. Share some more of your stuff....

User Info Menu

Here is a recording from a practice today of the Band from Bossa Nova doing O Grande Amor. Playing with a bass player is a challenge for me; I am use to playing standard bossa nova with the thumb on a nylon string guitar but I am trying to stay out of his sonic space and also playing an electric. Any comments on what we could do to sound more "bossa" would be appreciated. Also any comment on what my improvised solo needs would be helpful. On the comping, I think it sounds best at the beginning where I am not doing the "samba beat" at all. Is the bass too loud?
    Last edited by richb2; 03-13-2016 at 07:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Bossa nova is a beatifull style

Many jazz musicians fusion his music with brazilian styles...

I love it

Is not pure bossa but is wow...beatifull music

User Info Menu

More like this! Bossa Nova is timeless to my ear. Good music never ends.

I'll be learning that one.

Merci mhch!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-14-2016 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Guys, there is an excellent Brazilian guitarist, Nelson Faria. He has a seminal publication, The Brazilian Guitar Book, for learning bossa nova, samba, choro, frevo, and baiao. It is well written, has a CD of all the examples, The chords are custom bossa nova (samba, etc.) chords, not the standard chord symbols. Trust me, it is an excellent book. He has some YT videos of him playing with various vocalists and musicians.

User Info Menu

Nelson Faria has an excellent melody/chord transcription of Triste in his book, The Brazilian Guitar Book. His chord diagrams are all custom to reflect the exact chord harmonic structure. Anyway, Triste is a great composition.

User Info Menu

2b
    If you don't already have these Bossa's in your repertoire, may I suggest
    Estate. Corcovado ( Quiet Nights), Wave ,Gentle Rain , etc., all staple
    favourites, maybe listen to Charlie Byrd also for some inspiration?

User Info Menu

Just in case anyone is interested I've just found this.

Many irritating sound glitches & ads. Still worthwhile I believe:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Just in case anyone is interested I've just found this.

Many irritating sound glitches & ads. Still worthwhile I believe:
    I just got round to watching that last night (I had it recorded). Interesting programme.

I loved Jobim's house in the forest, you can see how he got inspiration there!

User Info Menu

Thank you!