The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 145 of 145

User Info Menu

Fans of the old program "Austin City Limits" know this song...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

and where in the world is that english girl, i promised i would meet on

and yeah luv me some hayes carl. his song with corb lund, she left me for jesus, is hilarious. corb lund is another fave, but this seems like a pretty hip (if small) crowd, so i'm guessing everyone here already knows him.

if we haven't already lost the OP, this one might complement the welch/rawlings style. i don't usually like hipster remakes of old music, but sean hayes's alabama chicken LP is an exception. and all of his years in the carolinas give him some cred for me.

User Info Menu

Here's "She Left Me For Jesus"

User Info Menu

love that song.

and as long as it's gospel hour:

User Info Menu

If my scheme to convert Las Vegas to funk fails, and it probably will I'll get back into bluegrass, folk. I did a lot when I was starting. 'Country' mean commercial to me. I like this kind of stuff;

I call it mountain music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Was listening to this which I found very beautiful. It was a student of mine who introduced me to the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings stuff....

Also been listening to a bit of Tony Rice again recently - so many beast crosspickers out there, but Tony is so musical, and the voice (as it used to be....)

Hit me up with some more stuff.
    Christian if you haven't already check out Grant Gordy's album and any of the recent Matt flinner trio I think you may like them.
    Listen to Grant Gordy by Grant Gordy on @AppleMusic.
    https://itun.es/gb/PDCtw

Listen to Music Du Jour by Matt Flinner Trio on @AppleMusic.
    https://itun.es/gb/ephEs

Listen to Winter Harvest by Matt Flinner Trio on @AppleMusic.
    https://itun.es/gb/VUj3C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    'Country' mean commercial to me. I like this kind of stuff: ....I call it mountain music.
    I feel the same way.
    Seems the "country" that gets heard at my home is mostly from the '20s and '30s.

And I also think of it as "mountain music" - not that I know much about it - just that the contemporary stuff that generally approaches me wearing the "country" label sounds too commercial and cliched to be swallowed easily. So it's older stuff for me - and some of the "new" old stuff, under a more modern bluegrass label - and also I have been developing a warm taste for the unexpected (to me) southern blend of soul and country.

As a cultural tradition alien to my own, it is still all pretty new to me, though, .
    So interesting to check out all these recommendations.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Here's Blue Rodeo showing their psychedelic country side. I like that these guys play what they want, even if it doesn't fit country, or rock, radio format.

Here's the official video, still good but has over 3 minutes cut out.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 04-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I did not know James Burton played on Gram Parsons' solo albums--I thought it was Clarence White (who was a fellow Byrds alum and died just before they were going on tour). Al Perkins plays a mean steel guitar on those records as well.

I saw Gillian and Dave a few years ago--phenomenal performance. Check this out:

Watch what he does with the capo at ~1:44. I have NEVER seen anyone do that. One of the best flatpickers around IMO.

If it hasn't been said before, here are quite a few others I like and have seen: Lucinda Williams, Old Crow Medicine Show, Old 97's.

By the way, I love jazz, and it's about the only thing I can play reasonably well, but I really want to start an alt country band ala the Drive-By Truckers.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-21-2016 at 05:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Neat capo use indeed ^^^

Here is some more neat capo use, a nice little trick which he does several times in the course of the tune - he doesn't start playing till around 1.15 or so btw if you want to avoid his rambling introduction -

(Not meaning to derail the thread from country sounds btw, I just thought one good capo trick deserved another!)

User Info Menu

rip

User Info Menu

Came across Pierce Edens music over the weekend, quite a voice! Here's 3 really good songs from his latest release (2012) that show some nice range.

Pierce's music is based in folk and bluegrass from the Appalachians of North Carolina where he grew up, combined with the energy of punk he was exposed to in his teens.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 05-18-2016 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Time for another Tom Russell post. "Wounded Heart of America" is a collection of Tom Russel songs recorded by other artists, and a few recorded by Tom. Some great stuff here.

Veteran's Day, Blue Wing, Gallo del Cielo, Manzanar and 'The Sky Above, the Mud Below' are stand-outs on this outstanding set.

Here's a link to the playlist for the entire album.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dtPJZPkN8WcKVh
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 08-28-2016 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Tony can do it all . . .

User Info Menu

More of Tom Russell's incredible story telling - 'Manzanar'. Here's 3 artists (including Tom) telling the story, each bringing something a little different in their interpretation of the lyrics.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 10-06-2016 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's one from Dead Grass, a bluegrass band that played Grateful Dead and featured Vassar Clements (who worked with the Dead). Looks like the entire album is on Youtube, it's a pretty cool listen.

User Info Menu

This song was referred to in a newspaper article I read this morning, so I've been looking forward to hearing it all day. Now's the time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This song was referred to in a newspaper article I read this morning, so I've been looking forward to hearing it all day. Now's the time...

I'm sure you're familiar with this version;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I'm sure you're familiar with this version;

O, yes. That's the first place I heard it. As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the memory."

User Info Menu

For Veteran's Day, some Tom Russell.

Thank you to all the vets and those in active service.