Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 145

User Info Menu

Some more Texas Troubadours

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And more Merle Haggard

User Info Menu

I knew a guy that was a serious C&W fan and record collector and had seen lots of the classic acts. He said the Texas Troubadours were the best band. He also said Bill Anderson's Po' Boys were excellent. Bill Anderson isn't exactly a house hold name outside of countrydom but he's a giant.

User Info Menu

Tom T. Hall is another great that isn't as well known as he should be.

User Info Menu

Here's Red keepin' it real. Keep your hankies handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    And more Merle Haggard ("Workin' Man Blues")
    Is that James Burton on guitar there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Tom T. Hall is another great that isn't as well known as he should be.
    I grew up listening to him. Used to play "The Ballad of Forty Dollars" in public now and then. Fun song.

User Info Menu

Now I know THIS is James Burton---I think he was only 17 or so at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I believe it is, and that he played on some other of his classic sides from that era like Fightin' Side Of Me and Mama Tried. The story I heard was that Burton got called for the session to play along with Haggard's regular guitar player Roy Nichols. Roy supposedly deferred to Burton and said that he'd lay out and just watch and listen.
    Last edited by mrcee; 01-16-2016 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I never knew Brent Mason could sing. I love that 9th chord at 5:00.
    I've heard him do vocals at jam sessions like this before. Here's another one you're sure to love---"Alabama Jubilee"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    one of the first solos i learned note for note-- always thought it was roy because he played similar stuff elsewhere and earlier. but i also know some folks have claimed that it was james burton. i'm not sure if the session logs would be helpful here or not. and it may not matter-- it could easily be james burton playing a solo close to what roy had been playing. or vice versa.

i know clint learned roy's solo off of honky tonk night time man note for note, because he plays it right here in a clinic at a jazz school back in the 1980s. pretty funny-- the backing trio has been shredding on the standards, but they totally gank a simple 12 bar in G.

he plays it with and without the band. i also highly recommend number 6 in this series of youtube videos, another part of the clinic where clint talks at length about work process with merle.

User Info Menu

Clint Strong's a monster.

User Info Menu

Yeah, i think that Clint was perfect for that band at that time-- they were tremendous live. Of the two live performances I got to see, I liked the band better with Clint than with Brent Mason, even though Brent is an amazing player.

I'm also a big James Burton fan, and I do know that he played on a bunch of those Haggard sides in that earlier period. And his guitar absolutely makes Suzy Q.

just saw the heavy metal thread, so this seems appropriate. prolly get me banned. heh

i actually really like this album. took DAC to help me appreciate Dime.

User Info Menu

How about more cowboy storytelling? Tom Russel's latest 'cowboy opera' "The Rose of Roscrae", tells the story of the last days of the old west through fictional Irish immigrant Johnny Dutton a.k.a. "Johnny Behind-the-Deuce".

A short list of guest artists: Maura O'Connell, Joe Ely, Dave Olney, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Gretchen Peters, Eliza Gilkyson, Jimmy LaFave, Augie Meyers, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Ian Tyson and Johnny Cash (old recording).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hQRw5i_0zOJ6Gq

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    How about more cowboy storytelling? Tom Russel's latest 'cowboy opera' "The Rose of Roscrae", tells the story of the last days of the old west through fictional Irish immigrant Johnny Dutton a.k.a. "Johnny Behind-the-Deuce".

A short list of guest artists: Maura O'Connell, Joe Ely, Dave Olney, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Gretchen Peters, Eliza Gilkyson, Jimmy LaFave, Augie Meyers, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Ian Tyson and Johnny Cash (old recording).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hQRw5i_0zOJ6Gq
    Thanks for the tip---I'd never heard of this.

User Info Menu

yeah, i hadn't heard the new tom russell. that's great. who'd have thought there was another billy the kid song to write?

likely to be my new favorite tr lp

User Info Menu

How about some Albert Lee on "Luxury Liner" ?

User Info Menu

If you're thirsting for more Albert Lee, check this beauty with Roseanne Cash. played in "C".

User Info Menu

these guys are nashville regulars. dig both the bass and guitar solos on this one

User Info Menu

Blue Rodeo. I've seen these guys described as 'country', 'psychedelic country', 'alt country', 'country rock', etc.

User Info Menu

Lucero, alt-country-rock, and sometimes soul, from Memphis. Ben Nelson writes some really good lyrics. After listening to their entire catalog it becomes apparent just how good these guys are.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 01-23-2016 at 02:19 AM.

User Info Menu

i dig lucero. amazing how many really good bands there are out right now, writing good songs, doing great live shows, not getting playe don the radio. a new golden age, although you'd never know it from the AMFM.

i know lots of the jazzers here wish they could be in NYC or at least SF or LA to be on top of all the post-bop, but when it comes to live music, i'm usually wishing i was in Texas. I've still never seen this guy play, even though he's one of my faves and on the road right now.

this tune always makes me homesick.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Texas and current artists, here's a couple putting out good music. klk is correct, the fringe of country music has some really good artists right now.

Hayes Carl has puts out some really good music and has a sense of humor at times - you gotta like a guy who writes "boy you ain't a poet, you're just a drunk with a pen".

I caught Kacey Musgraves on Austin City Limits last year, I would consider her mainstream country and a good singer/songwriter who put on a good show.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 01-23-2016 at 02:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Used to hear on "Imus in the Morning."

User Info Menu

I suppose it appropriate to 'the perfect country and western song'