The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 145

User Info Menu

i think jerry usually tunes a fifth below the fiddle, CGDA. i know some tenor guys will drop an octave below the fiddle.

i'd love to have a tenor, but haven't played them often. my first teacher was actually a tenor banjo guy from the golden age in chicago. he also played the tenor guitar, so i got used to hearing it and playing with it, but i was strictly a 5 string player at the time.

willie taylor plays tenor pretty much all the time-- good songrwiter from out round oakdale.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not familiar with the tenor guitar much. It seems like a great comping instrument though as is the uke. I believe
    Tiny Grimes tuned his like the top 4 strings of a standard guitar.

Is that Oakdale, Calif you refer to? It looks like CA from some of the video shots.

User Info Menu

Larry Collins went on to write the hits Delta Dawn and You're The Reason God Made Oklahoma.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Now for a few Lucinda clips featuring (I think) Stuart Mathis:
    Actually this guitarist is wiz Doug Pettibone.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Pettibone

Moving on, I guess this tune by The Hellecasters gives a hint that badass John Jorgenson would go gypsy...

User Info Menu

of any music style 90 percent is rubbish 10 percent is gold

User Info Menu

This topic's got me nostalgic - I've gone and been and dug up some Buck Owens on the Interwebs:

Dad used to listen to him on Radio Wewak in Papua New Guinea when we were there before Independence. I always loved that steel playing, likewise the fiddle playing. As you can hear, the guitar playing wasn't anything exciting. To be fair, is was better on some of his gospel songs, like this one:

Last edited by Sandaun; 01-12-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: additional info

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaun
    This topic's got me nostalgic - I've gone and been and dug up some Buck Owens on the Interwebs:
    O, man, Buck Owens!

First, the instrumental "Buckaroo"

and then one of my favorite among his many hits

User Info Menu

One of my top-ten favorite country songs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    O, man, Buck Owens!

First, the instrumental "Buckaroo"

and then one of my favorite among his many hits

An early instrumental by the Buckaroos , featuring Don Rich.

User Info Menu

Here's Jackie Phelps , a Starday recording artist back in the day ! Note the thumb-pick and index finger pick !

User Info Menu

Thanks for the correction on Doug Pettibone. I should know that, since I have most of Lucinda's albums. When I saw her she had Blake Mills as her guitarist--Doug must have been on vacation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Is that Oakdale, Calif you refer to? It looks like CA from some of the video shots.
    yeah, oakdale has a decent scene. willie has a farm there, but soda gardocki lives nearby. i saw bill kirchen at the cow track a couple years ago.

he did the thing where he finished the last set by walking round the bar playing the trombone. great gig. bobby showed up and played steel. nice guy, too. one of the local kids brought him a tele to sign.

this is video (not mine) from the year before

User Info Menu

I saw Kirchen a couple of years ago at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. I didn't know much about him but it was a great show. Was that Bobby Black on steel? A tremendous player with a great history.

User Info Menu

O.K. fellow pickers, here's a re-mastered "Pickin' Peppers" from Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Larry Collins went on to write the hits Delta Dawn and You're The Reason God Made Oklahoma.
    Hadn't thought of "Delta Dawn" in years. I remember when this was a huge hit. I always liked the gospel feel of the chorus---talk about a hook!

User Info Menu

Can't forget Loretta Lynn....

User Info Menu

No you can't. This might be her first hit. It's a good one whenever it came out.

User Info Menu

This came late in her career, a duet with Jack White, and it is quite a feat.

User Info Menu

mcree--, yeah bobby black.

this is a cool thread. when i started out, all the local guys played either like jackie phelps (archtop and travis pickin, not his hambone schtick) or don rich (tele, picked hard through a twin).

and i really liked that jack white loretta album, too. good on that guy for doin that project. i actually kind of like his own version of "jolene," too.

so many good women artists right now, and almost none of them on the radio. brennen leigh's new lefty album is great. this is from the new eilen jewel

User Info Menu

Last edited by rabbit; 01-13-2016 at 05:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klk
    mcree--, yeah bobby black.

this is a cool thread. when i started out, all the local guys played either like jackie phelps (archtop and travis pickin, not his hambone schtick) or don rich (tele, picked hard through a twin).

and i really liked that jack white loretta album, too. good on that guy for doin that project. i actually kind of like his own version of "jolene," too.

so many good women artists right now, and almost none of them on the radio. brennen leigh's new lefty album is great. this is from the new eilen jewel

Talking of Jackie Phelps , here's "Function At The Junction" from an old Starday LP. Apologies for the scratchy sound, but it's that or nothing !

User Info Menu

More Tom Russell

The Rose of the San Joaquin was produced by Dave Alvin and Greg Leisz who also play guitar, slide, steel, mandolin, etc. on the album. Great writing and tasteful playing.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 01-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

ranger doug! hard to believe a guy with that many strombergs could be so nice. years ago, a friend of mine booked them into a nice public theater in a town filled with retirees. they had to go light on the "limp rope" jokes and drug references. killer trio.

and rose is one of my favorite tom russell tunes. saw him years ago in this tiny place out in the middle of the desert. he had a great flat picker whose name i can't recall right now. and then, in between his sets, this scraggly guy got up out of the audice of maybe 20 and did a set-- it was steve young. had no idea the dude was even alive. he did lonesome, onry and seven bridges and a few more i forget. great night. nice folks.

here's steve backed by a young junior brown

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klk
    ranger doug! hard to believe a guy with that many strombergs could be so nice. years ago, a friend of mine booked them into a nice public theater in a town filled with retirees. they had to go light on the "limp rope" jokes and drug references. killer trio.

and rose is one of my favorite tom russell tunes. saw him years ago in this tiny place out in the middle of the desert. he had a great flat picker whose name i can't recall right now. and then, in between his sets, this scraggly guy got up out of the audice of maybe 20 and did a set-- it was steve young. had no idea the dude was even alive. he did lonesome, onry and seven bridges and a few more i forget. great night. nice folks.

here's steve backed by a young junior brown

That Steve Young is some good stuff.

Yes, Tom Russel is quite a talented song writer; I was listening to his 'cowboy operas': "The Man From God Knows Where" and "Hotwalker" today ("Hotwalker" is a trip, but also a captivating piece on post WWII American culture). What an amazing storyteller, I have the 3rd in the trilogy "The Rose of Roscrae" arriving Saturday.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 01-15-2016 at 01:10 AM.

User Info Menu

What about the Texas Troubadours? At least we got Speedy and Bryant (the first telecaster player?)

Texas Troubadours:

... A young Willie Nelson is a nice treat, no? Listen to that guitar work! Leon play, play on Leon!