The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 145

User Info Menu

Ricky Nelson's version with none other than James Burton playing some tasty country formations of "A", "D" and "E7"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    Yes, and we have Ms. Jones covering a Hank Williams tune from the best selling Blue Note album in history.

To prove she was a real Texas girl, she, tele virtuoso Jim Campilongo, and company put together an act named after the red headed stranger, The Little Willies....just to prove they were the real deal.

Who knew so many jazz forumites were closet shit kickers..?
    Love to hear Norah Jones sing. Didn't know about The Little Willies---that's a hot act!

User Info Menu

There was some sort of Playboys reunion on TV in the 80s where Shamblin takes at least one outrageous solo. I've tried to find it since but haven't. Willie Nelson and George Strait came out and did a tune or two. Willie did Milk Cow.

User Info Menu

that'd be cool, i haven't seen that one. post it if you find it. the willie version of milkcow i have the band is basically copying eldon's arrangement.

i know this one with eldon and benny garcia. pretty tasty. and you can hear eldon's comping pretty well.

User Info Menu

Another example--he sings the theme to "True Grit" and then the guitar solo… I don't like the tone, but the solo has some truly great ideas.

User Info Menu

Don't leave out Jimmy Bryant!

User Info Menu

A taste of Eldon Shamblin and Herb Ellis doing "There Will Never Be Another You"

User Info Menu

And one of a Herb Ellis' last albums was "Texas Swing"

User Info Menu

Interestingly, "My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" is credited to Clarence Williams, an early jazz and blues pianist, composer, and A&R man, though Williams may not have written it. Williams played with Louis Armstrong, Bessie Smith, and many others.

It is on of a number of country classics that were originally African-American.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    And one of a Herb Ellis' last albums was "Texas Swing"
    Willie Nelson plays on "America the Beautiful" on Herb Ellis' Texas Swing

User Info Menu

Tom Russell writes some fantastic lyrics with great storytelling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Don't leave out Jimmy Bryant!
    and the tradition continues.....

User Info Menu

This is a time capsule tune. A pairing of two of the most important figures in American music. The father of modern country music and the father of the jazz solo.

User Info Menu

A little late to this party, but here's a few.

What good country singing can sound like.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love the Glen Campbell version of Ain't No Sunshine--surprising tone from that goofy guitar. IMO, like Jerry Garcia, he had poor taste in guitars. He should have stuck with Teles and archies.

Now for a few Lucinda clips featuring (I think) Stuart Mathis:

And a Lucinda song played by Blake Mills, one of the most interesting guitarists out there--I saw him with Lucinda a few years ago, will see him solo in April opening for Mumford and Sons:

User Info Menu

Who can forget the Joe Pass / Roy Clark project doing Hank Williams tunes? Here's "Cold, Cold Heart"

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 01-09-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

"Spaghetti Western Swing"----

User Info Menu

Glen Campbell was a ferocious talent, even from his Wrecking Crew credentials alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Who can forget the Joe Pas / Roy Clark project doing Hank Williams tunes? Here's "Cold, Cold Heart"

WHY DOES THAT GUY TALK OVER JOE PASS's SOLO????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Who can forget the Joe Pas / Roy Clark project doing Hank Williams tunes? Here's "Cold, Cold Heart"
    seriously, can you just imagine soloing, and the guy who is feeding you the chords is JOE PASS! Wowsers!

User Info Menu

Some Scotty Anderson---man, can this guy tear it up!

User Info Menu

Scotty in a jazzier vein

User Info Menu

for folks with some jazz background, one of the real sweet spots in country music is guitar comping with texas fiddle. jerry thomasson's tenor playing behind his dad, benny,was a revelation to me way back in the 70s when we were passing around bootleg cassettes of the weiser reunion.

voyager has it available on CD now, but none of it is up on yootoob. but here's is some of jerry's comping behind a couple fiddlers that aren't his dad.

User Info Menu

Sometimes 4 strings is all you need. I knew a bass player that used to kid 5 and 6 string players with 'what do you have all those strings for? You only need 3.'

How do you think that tenor guitar is tuned? I think there's more than one way.