Posts 251 to 275 of 293

User Info Menu

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown doing "She Walks Right In."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I posted this elsewhere

Swangin'

User Info Menu

Junior Watson with "Junior's Bounce" live. Not the best sound, but hey, he beardless here, and that you gotta see! ;o)

User Info Menu

Duke Robillard doing "Love Slipped In"

User Info Menu

cool new vid, posted by tk smith...tk's "special" guitar through magnatone amp sure sounds authentic vintage great..nice exchanges with tommy h on fender

good stuff

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool new vid, posted by tk smith...tk's "special" guitar through magnatone amp sure sounds authentic vintage great..nice exchanges with tommy h on fender
    I just saw this at the Jump Blues Killers page on FB. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Earlier, we heard Bill Jennings do "Glide On." That's a great record. Here's a take on the tune by Duke Robillard with his jazz trio. More laid back than Bill's version, but tasty playing throughout.

User Info Menu

Fats...

User Info Menu

I saw Duke in a tiny bar in Buffalo back around late 80's. He can play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Fats...
    Yeah, Fats had it going on. I've picked up a few things from him. And I liked the Blasters too.

User Info Menu

always good to see this thread reappear!

was digging this jimmy nolen track just this morn...it's probably already in this thread but always good to hear

great lead tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I saw Duke in a tiny bar in Buffalo back around late 80's. He can play.
    Yeah, Duke can play. He had a shoulder problem last year / early this year and had to do some gigs where he just sang while a young guy whose name escapes me (Mike something) handled the hot guitar parts.

Duke did an acoustic blues record that won him an award. It's good stuff. He's still very active and has something coming out soon. Still teaches at Sonic Junction. (While his arm was messed up---I'm not sure what the problem was---other guys posted lessons while Duke made some off-camera comments. He's been around a long time and excels at every kinda blues I know of. He once said he thought of himself as a "swinging blues" player. He really loves that stuff.

Here's a swinging blues of Duke's

User Info Menu

Might not be exactly "jump" but I love these guys. And for what it's worth, their guitarist, James Achor, often plays a blond Gibson L4ces, other times something that looks like an L5ces.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 07-15-2016 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis doing "Ravin' at the Haven," an early jump blues classic.

User Info Menu

Duke Robillard and Jimmie Vaughan, from a disc included in an old issue of "Guitar Player." (No video.)

User Info Menu

Maybe a stretch...Tiny Grimes featuring Charlie Parker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Earlier, we heard Bill Jennings do "Glide On." That's a great record. Here's a take on the tune by Duke Robillard with his jazz trio. More laid back than Bill's version, but tasty playing throughout.

I've got Duke's Blues. He's one hell of a player.

User Info Menu

Just found this on Facebook. Three Bill Doggett cuts featuring two guitarists who cut some killer sides with him: Billy Butler and Bill Jennings.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall said in an interview that this tune with CC and Benny Goodman was the one that got him into playing guitar.

Some Charlie Christian in a boogie-boogie vein. Great two-chorus solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    Jim Hall said in an interview that this tune with CC and Benny Goodman was the one that got him into playing guitar.
    I had no idea! Thanks for mentioning that. It's a fun tune. I was playing it the other night.

User Info Menu

I had no idea! Thanks for mentioning that. It's a fun tune. I was playing it the other night.
    around 12:00

User Info Menu

not jump...but jim hall had a group with joe lovano..that was called grand slam!

here's title track- slam!! writ by jim

was also just reading tal farlow interview..heard cc and benny goodman on radio broadcasts while working nights as a young sign painter...flipped for charlie c..learned it all note for note

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    Gosh, if'n I could play like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Might not be exactly "jump" but I love these guys. And for what it's worth, their guitarist, James Achor, often plays a blond Gibson L4ces, other times something that looks like an L5ces.

That's actually me on guitar. James Achor left the band around 2000 and I've been playing with them since 2002. The guitar in that clip is a Super V. James played a 175 I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just found this (-it's not new): a 17-minute interview / lesson by Duke Robillard.

He talks about Bill Jennings and Billy Butler being his biggest influences.

Note: the sound isn't great, but there are some choice nuggets in what Duke says / plays.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 07-27-2016 at 07:59 PM.