The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 293

User Info Menu

Too many pages to check, but I don't think we've had this one yet:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

that maddox brothers guitar solo sounds a lot like the later guitar work of paul burlison/grady martin? with the johnny burnette trio!..

cool track

cheers

I think it has phrasing more in line with Hank Garland or Thumbs Carlisle. Check this one out boys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    I'm not sure but I know Roy Nichols from Merle Haggard played some early sessions with the Maddox Brothers. I know he was inspired by Junior Barnard and it's safe to say if any Maddox recording sounds like Junior odds is it was Roy. This cut has some great lines definitely a hillbilly take on some Charlie Christian runs.
    Just a guess but I'd go with Roy Nichols especially if it was cut in California. Nichols and the Maddox Brothers were all from the San Joaquin Valley.

Here is another fun one today. I've been into the French Blues pickers. I think there is something special in how they swing and phrase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    Here is another fun one today. I've been into the French Blues pickers. I think there is something special in how they swing and phrase.
    Didn't know there was a 'blues pickers' scene in France! When I'm in a 'ch-easy listening' mood I put on Serge Gainsbourg (the above vid reminded me a little of his Jazz output).

As a kid in the '70s I was dragged along to see Mr Hulot's Holiday at the local Art House cinema. Loved the incidental music:

Stuck in my mind for the rest of my life (film and music).

User Info Menu

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup talking about a baby who's got no hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OPFMdOp4Fmo

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

^ One of my favourite Gainsbourg tracks. Just dig the bass line. And an early appearance by Austin Powers in the background!

User Info Menu

Just found out Duke Robillard's tune this month at Sonic Junction is Bill Jennings' "Glide On." This week, the chords, and some comping ideas. Next week, the head.

Blues Legend Duke Robillard

User Info Menu

More Alex Schultz. Duke Robillard posted this on his Facebook page. Alex will be playing with Duke on his (and his band's) upcoming two-week European tour.

Duke has had rotator cuff trouble--I think he had surgery and has been recovering for awhile now. I'm not sure if he's back to 100 % yet....

Lot of bebop quotes in these solos!

User Info Menu

yeah, you can do worse than use parker heads as solos. i finally started listening to it w/ watching cuz i kept getting distracted by all his switch flipping.

just came across this -- missed it when it came out. since we've al;ready done saunders king and t-bone, here's one of my other favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klk
    just came across this -- missed it when it came out. since we've al;ready done saunders king and t-bone, here's one of my other favorites.

Thanks for that! I love "Get Rhythm". I like Johnny's version better---it rocks!---but this is a good groove too. That's a tune I've never found my own way with. This could give me some ideas....

User Info Menu

yeah, it got me playing get rhythm again. and wanted man.

btw, you or someone else upthread mentiong the weidlich book on t-bone and charlie christian.

i have it. haven't worked through it entirely yet, but it's interesting although pretty idiosyncratic. it takes off from that last section in his book on charlie's chord shapes, where weidlich talks about charlie's roots in country blues and the mechanics of his playing. this new book seems to be aimed at an audience of jazz guitarist who are already reasonably comfortable with basic theory but have never had any real exposure to the blues. he spends a lot of time working carefully through explanations of hand position, the mechanics of bending, etc. for folks already familiar with blues playing styles, that section will seem weirdly remedial. but maybe lots of folks learning jazz guitar now don't start with blues?

that's followed by a lot of detailed discussion of basic t-bone licks. and then some useful transcriptions of 3 versions of flying home, including 2 airshots, one of the songs that isn't included in ayeroff's big book of cc transcriptions. i haven't checked weidlich's transcriptions against the recordings yet. but he also has a brief transcription of oscar moore that looks accurate. and lots of interesting examples of the places in various solos where charlie actually bent notes.

then the appendix has another brief historical essay on the origins of r&b and a section adapting barrelhouse piano to guitar. that bit seemed like something weidlich just had sitting around. since bending is the central motif of the book-- t-bone did a lot, charlie did a lot less-- i'd think that lester young would be a more obvious comparison. but of course, any of us interested in that-- or in doing something similar with, say oscar moore's work --still can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klk
    yeah, it got me playing get rhythm again. and wanted man.

btw, you or someone else upthread mentiong the weidlich book on t-bone and charlie christian.

i have it. haven't worked through it entirely yet, but it's interesting although pretty idiosyncratic.....
    Thanks for the lowdown on that book. I'll get to it one of these days...

User Info Menu

nice blues from helen humes, fresh from basie band..1946 on the aladdin label..lester young's on the session, but the interesting bit is dave barbour featured on guitar..he was married to peggy lee, at the time...his tone reminds me of django a bit..and he gets plenty of blowin time

Jump Blues-dave-barbour-peggy-lee-1-t690f25g10-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's Dave Barbour with Peggy Lee, the version of "Why Don't You Do Right" from 1950. (She sang it earlier with Benny Goodman.)

User Info Menu

i dig barbours tone on that one too..he's the 1/2 speed django..(one fingered django hah)

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's a clip of Peggy Lee with the Dave Barbour Quartet performing "Why Don't You Do Right" in 1950. Not sure whether it is really live or synced. Lots of shots of Barbour playing, regardless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott
    Here's a clip of Peggy Lee with the Dave Barbour Quartet performing "Why Don't You Do Right" in 1950. Not sure whether it is really live or synced. Lots of shots of Barbour playing, regardless.
    Nice. Thanks.

User Info Menu

cool live clip...barbour has a van eps string damper...has to be one of the first, as van eps patent was 1950..same year as clip..and also shortly before barbour and lee split up..they had met while both were in the benny goodman band

Jump Blues-vanco02-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

since i mentioned django's tone, via barbour..here's django -amped-with ellington 1946..blues riff indeed

cheers

ps- great pic

Jump Blues-image399__700-jpg
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-13-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: ps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    since i mentioned django's tone, via barbour..here's django -amped-with ellington 1946..blues riff indeed
    Sounds good! Not what I'm used to hearing from Django, but there's a nice bite in it. ;o)

User Info Menu

Some tasty Oscar Moore

User Info Menu

A young George Benson doin' it live.