The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 293

User Info Menu

and now a message from king charles ie charlie morris

cheers

ps- really quite a spectacular track..just the title!!..but has some real nice bop cuts mixed with future really nasty link wray-isms..classic
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-16-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: ps-

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You better believe it!

User Info Menu

Pulled out and listened to a Memphis Slim CD while fixing dinner for the family this evening.

Here's one of my favourites again - Matt "Guitar" Murphy:

Last edited by TOMMO; 10-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

And since we have a lot of variety here this may fit in as well (shameless vanity self plug):

edit: I don't know why this has been titled "The Stumble" - it''s actually Freddy King's "Sidetracked"....
    Last edited by TOMMO; 10-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Was thinking of Magic Sam earlier today and had to listen to this.

User Info Menu

The 45 of Freddie King's "Hide Away."
    I've heard a lot of people play this and most of them--though great players otherwise--don't do a good job with it. I'm not sure why but I think it's that they don't pay enough attention to the groove....

Let's hear Billy Butler on Bill Dogget's "Honky Tonk" again while we're at it....

User Info Menu

Here's Bill Dogget's version of "Night Train." Not my favorite one but not bad either....

User Info Menu

Seeing these 45s reminds me of my first record player. My sister got it new, then my older brother had it, and eventually it found its way to me....
    It looked a lot like this (though the color was more of a light green):

Attachment 24298

My first guitar cost 25 dollars, a Harmony.

User Info Menu

Jeez Mark, your bringing back long forgotten memories.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

It's Chuck Berry's 89th birthday. Started a thread on that topic but thought a song of his belonged here too---let's go with "Johnny B. Goode."

User Info Menu

Often imitated, never equaled. Introduced to many an aspiring guitarslinger the hitherto alien landscape of the key of Bb. A people's poet, wielding a nineteen syllable line to create compact, resonant tales. Happy birthday, Mr. Berry!

User Info Menu

Not strictly Jump, but you can hear its roots in this track (nice bounce):

User Info Menu

Okay, this is a thread about jump blues. I get that. That's the main focus. But not all great jump tunes are blues tunes. Many were what Mickey Baker called "vamps". (In general, two 8-bar sections, a bridge, and another 8-bar section, totaling 32 bars. The rhythm changes are like that but not all vamps are rhythm changes, either.) I think it's important to have some such tunes up one's sleeve. For one thing, the same sort of lead playing tends to work. (You have to 'make the changes' but the solos tend to be riffy and swinging, with lots of hot licks---in other words, fun for the player and for the audience!)

Here's a Louis Jordan classic that I've been working with this morning. (I assume that's Carl Hogan on guitar...)

User Info Menu

Are all these songs about food? Lol. Check out a song called "Angelo's" on YouTube. Same style and progression. It's by a guy named Dick Siegal. It's used for a long running radio program called " Sunday Morning Over Easy". WCSX Detroit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    Are all these songs about food? Lol. Check out a song called "Angelo's" on YouTube. Same style and progression. It's by a guy named Dick Siegal. It's used for a long running radio program called " Sunday Morning Over Easy". WCSX Detroit.
    Hhm, food... There is Louis Prima's "Banana Split for My Baby"

And here's another Louis Jordan classic that BB King often played too, "Let The Good Times Roll." (<<<Lots of people have done this and it works with a variety of crowds; it's a good tune to know.)

User Info Menu

I heard this growing Louis Jordan classic while growing up. My mom played it on her piano and sang it. I've always dug music that moved like this (-and also funny / clever lyrics, but that's another thread).

User Info Menu

A lesson on how to play "T-Bone Shuffle" (-the rhythm part.) I don't think this is exactly how T-Bone played it but this is a good thing to know because you can use it as a rhythm part for other tunes, or as a "groove riff" chorus at the start of a longer solo.... (This could also be an "ensemble riff" like Charlie used to play with Benny Goodman.)

User Info Menu

I'm working on a Duke Robillard solo called "Duke Jumps the Blues." It's from the book he did with Dave Rubin (-see link below.) It's a good book, by the way. Duke plays long solos in several styles. Some are based on his own originals ("Fishnet", "Memphis Grind", "Swingin' With Lucy Mae") while others are not. "Duke Jumps the Blues" is in Bb at a tempo of 193 bpm. In the performance notes, Duke says he uses the first (root) position of the composite scale for most of it.

I wasn't sure what "composite scale" meant. I had to Google it. But when I saw what it was (1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b7), I said, "Oh, that." I don't think much about scales when I play, other than the major scale / cycle.

Does anyone here (-esp in relation to jump blues and related genre)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063...s=books&sr=1-1

User Info Menu

That's a Swiss army knife of a scale Mark. Can't go wrong with a major, minor, Dom. Dim. Flat 5 scale lol.

User Info Menu

I love the t-bone lesson. I've been getting into the jump blues lately. Mark Wein has a nice solo lesson for this rhythm in the same group of Truefire lessons you quoted earlier " The Pulse". It's # 5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    That's a Swiss army knife of a scale Mark. Can't go wrong with a major, minor, Dom. Dim. Flat 5 scale lol.
    +1

User Info Menu

Such a great thread! Outstanding music, have to go back and work through every single clip.

Thank you Mark R. for bringing in Alex Schultz. These two of his just get it:

Doing Jimmy McGriff's All About My Girl

Hot Wheels

User Info Menu

I agree 100%!

User Info Menu

Some Duke Robillard....

I'm not sure but I know Roy Nichols from Merle Haggard played some early sessions with the Maddox Brothers. I know he was inspired by Junior Barnard and it's safe to say if any Maddox recording sounds like Junior odds is it was Roy. This cut has some great lines definitely a hillbilly take on some Charlie Christian runs.