The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 293
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    That was cool! I'm going to have to save this whole thread,it's great. Thank you all for all the video and lessons.
    Hey man we are all learning from each other. I love forums like this that focus on the music and the players. I don't mind a little gear talk especially if it relates to the sound and background of awesome players. So much good stuff to hear and learn about.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Found this short article on Bill Jennings, from the perspective of his being from Indianapolis. For such an important---and frequently recorded---guitarist, not a lot is known about him. I wonder if anyone is working on a biography.

http://owlmusicgroup.com/bill-jennings-the-original-indianapolis-music-chameleon/

User Info Menu

a return to one of my fave guys...bay area west coast jump blues king- saunders king...(later to be carlos santanas father in law!! hah)...he had some wild life!!!

not high tech, but great tone..has all the right things going..was big cc fan...real octal tube amp sound...and his "little extra"was that he used a felt pick..and i swear you can hear it in the attack of his notes...very unique tone

i recommend to all you guys, pick up a felt pick..don't be put off by its initial weirdness..use it (or lend it to your bass player for a few days)...with time it'll eventually thin and harden a bit at the tip..and feel much like a "regular" thick pick ie stubby..but with a less aggressive attack...a great thing to have in the arsenal

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    a return to one of my fave guys...bay area west coast jump blues king- saunders king...(later to be carlos santanas father in law!! hah)...he had some wild life!!!

not high tech, but great tone..has all the right things going..was big cc fan...real octal tube amp sound...and his "little extra"was that he used a felt pick..and i swear you can hear it in the attack of his notes...very unique tone
    Good stuff. I haven't heard much of him. Great vibe there.

User Info Menu

Bill Jennings and Roy Brown, "Letter From Home"

User Info Menu

Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" from '64

User Info Menu

"Gator's Tail"----Bill Jennings with Willis Jackson and Jack McDuff

(Bill's solo starts around 1:44)

User Info Menu

A tutorial on Bill Jennings' use of double stops---includes a shout out to our own Tommy Harkenrider!

Since we are on the Bill Jennings kick. Their are a couple tunes that have the signature Jennings lines for a blues. Blue Grass, of course Stompin with Bill, but also check out Noon Train that he did with Jack Mcduff, and Billy in the Lions Den with Leo Parker. For Rhy. Changes Alexandria, and Get Hot. Get Hot has I7-Iv-II7-V bridge but killer lines. The song is blazing but provides some of the better insight into Bill's phrasing. This tune is by far one of my favorite Bill Jennings solos. If any of you guys are interested in this and want to learn more please hit me up!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    Since we are on the Bill Jennings kick. Their are a couple tunes that have the signature Jennings lines for a blues. Blue Grass, of course Stompin with Bill, but also check out Noon Train that he did with Jack Mcduff, and Billy in the Lions Den with Leo Parker. For Rhy. Changes Alexandria, and Get Hot. Get Hot has I7-Iv-II7-V bridge but killer lines. The song is blazing but provides some of the better insight into Bill's phrasing. This tune is by far one of my favorite Bill Jennings solos. If any of you guys are interested in this and want to learn more please hit me up!!!
    I'm working with Tommy's "Jump Blues Volume 2 (Advanced)" and it's teaching me a thing or two, that's for sure. I would recommend Tommy's lessons to a friend!

Jump Blues Module 2. (Advanced) | Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots

Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots |

User Info Menu

Some Barney Kessel from 1964---pretty hot!

User Info Menu

Saw this posted on the "Jump-Blues Guitar Killers" Facebook page---it's an hour of Duke Robillard's jazz trio. Opens with "Glide On", followed by one of my favorite standards, "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me." Not as "jumpy" as we usually are, but Duke is a rootsy guy, whatever he plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=56&v=hJ69sZnkMGw

User Info Menu

i'm nuts for louis jordan...but i always felt his later organ bands were not really equal to his prime tympani 5 stuff...

here's a great one...a slow burner...it was later covered by harry nilsson!! (who did a great-but different- job of it...)

Early in the Mornin’ (Dallas Bartley, Louis Jordan, Leo Hickman)

Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five — #3 hit on the Billboard R&B (Race) singles chart, 1947.

Recorded 23 April 1947 NYC — Louis Jordan (as, voc, ldr); Wild Bill Davis (p, arr); Carl Hogan (eg); Dallas Bartley (b); Christopher Columbus [Joe Morris] (d); The Calypso Boys (maracas, claves).

the great carl hogan..left

Jump Blues-louis-jordan-tympany-five_1_tc-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Not quite jump---but I think a lot of others here will enjoy Professor Longhair's "Rock 'n' Roll Gumbo" album from 1974. (This was the first record of his that I heard.) Snooks Eaglin, a New Orleans staple, does nice work on some of these traces. (Snooks is a character.) He plays a fun solo on "Meet Me Tomorrow Night," the second track here.

User Info Menu

Just started watching this. Great stuff:

User Info Menu

i've posted those juniors a few times on this forum..absolutely essential stuff..watched 'em many times...highly recommended (& entertaining! hah)

there's also a great multi-parter with tommy h and junior..don't miss that!

and if you want to hear a barn burner find yourself a copy of juniors-jumpin wit junior

Jump Blues-juniorwatsoncd-300x263-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=GuitarGerry;575524]Just started watching this. Great stuff:

/QUOTE]

Thanks. I watched most of the first installment. I'll watch more as time permits. Junior's got a lot to say! Fun stories.

User Info Menu

Here's a live bit of Junior Watson and Tommy Harkenrider (among others).

User Info Menu

A nice lesson on playing in time---feeling the pulse---by Mark Wein, a TrueFire teacher.

User Info Menu

A nice live clip

User Info Menu

Mercy Dee doing the "Romp and Stomp Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=0lMw2N1l-h8

User Info Menu

A Bb jump / swing / blues lick worth knowing.

User Info Menu

Chanced upon this today----I played this record to death when it was new (-late '70s, I think)---and thought I'd throw in this track here. Joe Ely has written some good songs and has a nice blend of southwestern influences. Fun song.

User Info Menu

Who turned out the lights? Where did everyone go?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Who turned out the lights? Where did everyone go?
    I'm here my brother. Just teaching away my friend