The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 293

User Info Menu

Pee Wee Crayton doin' the "Huckle Boogie"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

J. B. Hutto doing "I Feel So Good." (Not exactly jump but I figure if you don't like this, you don't like ice cream, and what can you say about a person like that?)

User Info Menu

There's no happier music than jump blues. Taj Mahal did a great cover of Blue Light Boogie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Taj Mahal did a great cover of Blue Light Boogie
    That's a nice version. I've sometimes felt that Taj's music is overproduced and it used to put me off his music. However, in the late 80s/early 90s I took a gamble and saw him live. He was outstandingly good; one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Yet the album he was promoting still lacked something...I wish he'd find other producers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Quite a few sides on that list that I didn't know. Worked through much of it on youtube, and it's more the Rock & Roll side of Jump. Not that that's bad or anything (I love Rockabilly), but I prefer Jump stuff with more of a R n B tinge.

User Info Menu

Not a jump record per se, but I think a jump band could make this work for them. (A guitar can play the main riff in double stops...)

User Info Menu

That was a great Pee Wee track Mark. Spent the last hour listening to him. These two fit the Jump category:

The second one has a tone that could cut through barbed wire!

User Info Menu

Amos Milburn doing "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer."

And here's "Down the Road A Piece."

And here's a tutorial of the bass line from "Down the Road A Piece."

User Info Menu

Ray Benson -- Choo Choo Chaboogie

User Info Menu

Some more Jimmy

User Info Menu

BB's "You Upset Me Baby" is one of my favorite performances by BB. I did not know Louis Jordan had done it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    BB's "You Upset Me Baby" is one of my favorite performances by BB. I did not know Louis Jordan had done it!
    No - I meant to say "Buzz Me" is a Louis Jordan tune that B.B. did (couldn't find his version on yt) and while searching came across "You Upset Me" which is a favourite of mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    No - I meant to say "Buzz Me" is a Louis Jordan tune that B.B. did (couldn't find his version on yt) and while searching came across "You Upset Me" which is a favourite of mine.
    Got it! I hadn't heard "Buzz Me." Fun tune.

User Info Menu

Here's our own Tommy Harkenrider playing over a rhythm changes backing track he made. Three things about this: 1) his playing is great and I think everyone following this thread will enjoy it; 2) Tommy's clearly a 3-finger player (for the most part); 3) jump blues often follows a 12-bar format but there's no reason for a jump player to shun rhythm changes! ;o)

User Info Menu

httj-

cool you mention gypsy jazz, cause so many of those double stops and slurs came via django..who because of his 2 finger "handicap", really had to "cheat"! haha…such a cool free sound, guys picked up on it..carl hogan, t bone w, les paul..

chuck berry!

keith nabbed it off chuck..but if you have ever seen the chuck film with keef..he was no scholar!! haha..much as i dig keef…and i do! raw guts n vibe is good too!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-04-2015 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Keef is killing it! I haven't heard that many double stops in a guitar solo since... ever! He's got that Chuck Berry thing down very well!

Speaking of double stops, I think it's safe to say them are one of the prominent elements of the style? 3rds, 4ths, diminished 5ths, on the treble strings- so cool, so meaty. I plug those licks in Gypsy jazz, straight ahead, even polkas... I'd get vibes sometimes, lol, but to me it adds some nastiness to a solo!
    Yeah, Keef was workin' 'em allright. Is that a Firebird he's playing?

I love double stops too. If you check out the tutorial on the boogie / bassline of Amos Milburn's "Down the Road a Piece", you'll hear lots of double stops.

User Info Menu

Here's B.B. doing "You Upset Me"

Sounds like a "Modern" recording for the Bihari Brothers. It's also on "Live at the Regal," iirc.

And, from left field, here a western swingish version by Red Smith, also from 1954 shortly after B.B. wrote and recorded it.

User Info Menu

I follow a posting on Facebook called " Jump-Blues Killer Guitars. I think anyone can join. They post videos like these everyday. I saw Barney Kessel playing jump. It was very cool. Charlie Christian too. I don't know how to post videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott
    Here's B.B. doing "You Upset Me"
    Yeah, that was my intro to the tune.

Here's another fave from that era, "Beautician Blues."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    I follow a posting on Facebook called " Jump-Blues Killer Guitars. I think anyone can join. They post videos like these everyday. I saw Barney Kessel playing jump. It was very cool. Charlie Christian too. I don't know how to post videos.
    I joined that group too, though I spend more time here than on Facebook. (About all I do there is play Words with Friends.) I have seen some gems, though.

User Info Menu

Speaking of the Facebook group, here's something posted there just now. Louisiana Red's "Who Dat?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=53&v=bRUnlNoG7W4

User Info Menu

TOMMO, thanks for the Little Walter clips. Love to hear him play.

Here's an article from "Guitar World" that applies his soloing style (on the harmonica) to guitar....

Talkin' Blues: Little Walter's Exciting Up-Tempo Jump-Blues Soloing Style | Guitar World

User Info Menu

Welcome! Love Little Walter.

To my knowledge he was heavily influenced by sax players and strived to emulate their sound....

Our buddy JBYORK sent me message asking about the Mickey Baker book, specifically the later lessons. He asked me if I can shed some light on some of this. I'll get a little video up here in the next day or so. Long story short is Mickey's methodology is pretty consistent for players of his his generation. He uses chord arpeggios as reference points or grips. He gets a little fancy by using V-minor chords as I-dom7th sub. he also uses 6th minor arpeggios for Imajor chords. Those two tricks are really effective. Okay, the G13b5b9 lol!! is nothing more than an altered V chord in the Key of C. Truth is take a C major and move it up a half step minus the 13th that is what a G13b5b9 is, what a mouthful. I like the book definitely a good book to keep plugging your way through. Not a lot of instruction but useful ideas. Believe me the first time I went through this book I didn't know what the heck he was talking about. Every year now that I review this stuff it makes more sense. If anyone has questions on this book don't hesitate to ask me. Like I said I'll get a little video up in a day to illustrate some of these techniques. Picture is worth a 1000 words. As far as other books I like the Barney Kessel book, I've heard great things about the herb ellis book as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    Believe me the first time I went through this book [Mickey Baker's volume 1] I didn't know what the heck he was talking about. Every year now that I review this stuff it makes more sense. If anyone has questions on this book don't hesitate to ask me. Like I said I'll get a little video up in a day to illustrate some of these techniques. Picture is worth a 1000 words. As far as other books I like the Barney Kessel book, I've heard great things about the herb ellis book as well.
    I go back through that book too. Our own fep has a thread devoted to the Mickey Baker book, where he posts videos of the lessons. (So far, I think they've all come from the first half of the book.)

Here's a link to the thread.
    Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos

Which Barney Kessel book are you talking about? I haven't seen any of his books. (I know there are a few but I'm unfamiliar with them.)

As for the Herb Ellis books, I have the three he did late in his life (Swing Blues, Rhythm Shapes, and All the Shapes You Are.) I'm up for any questions anyone might have about those books. They're pretty much my daily bread!