The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 293

User Info Menu

"The Nightcat Boogie" (live) by Little Charlie and the Nightcats. Love the "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" quote....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In a different vein, Oscar Moore's "Walkin' Home."

User Info Menu

I don't think we've heard from Ike Turner yet....

User Info Menu

Oscar and Nat telling us it is "Better To Be By Yourself." (This is one of the best clips of Oscar playing that I have seen.)

Does this lyric remind anyone else of the juvenile limerick that begins, "There once was a hermit named Dave..."?
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 10-01-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Additional comment

User Info Menu

All aboard---the night train! (Not my favorite version but still fun.)

User Info Menu

Not exactly jump but here's Herb Ellis tearing it up with Oscar Peterson on "Naptown Blues."

User Info Menu

An hour (near enough) of Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown doing his thing live.

User Info Menu

The guy who introduces Gatemouth refers to Loyola---I'm thinking this is the Loyola on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans (-and not the one in Chicago).
    I think that's Joe Krown on the keyboards. (Joe is a New Orleans staple and if you're into organ-trio sounds, he's got some good 'uns.)

Hey boys! Just signed up on this thread and am really happy to be here. Can't go wrong when talking about Oscar Moore and Mickey Baker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    Hey boys! Just signed up on this thread and am really happy to be here. Can't go wrong when talking about Oscar Moore and Mickey Baker!
    O, man, are you THE Tommy Harkenrider? You could school us all!
    I recently wrote to Matt (Matthieu) Brandt and asked him for a list of must-know jump tunes and he gave me a nice one. If you had to list four-five (or more) tunes that someone should know before sitting it a jump jam session, what would they be? Just curious....

User Info Menu

One of my favorite Guitar Slim recordings, "I Done Got Over It." I'm not sure he even plays guitar on this one---or anyone else does for that matter--but it's a gospel-infused hoot and a great vocal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Harkenrider
    What took you so long! We've been admiring your yootube vids. Great stuff, nice to see you here.

User Info Menu

One of my favourite musicians. Not really jump, but a nice atmospheric boogie bass line...plus the vocal line when it comes in is so laid back:

User Info Menu

Louis Jordan doing "Caldonia" (-I think the correct spelling is "Caledonia"). BB King did this, and also "Let the Good Times Roll," which Louis Jordan also did (before him). Did BB do anything else Louis Jordan had done? Just curious...

User Info Menu

I've always loved "Rocket 88" and see no reason not to enjoy it again. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    O, man, are you THE Tommy Harkenrider? You could school us all!
    I recently wrote to Matt (Matthieu) Brandt and asked him for a list of must-know jump tunes and he gave me a nice one. If you had to list four-five (or more) tunes that someone should know before sitting it a jump jam session, what would they be? Just curious....
    LOL! You are way to nice. I love all the posts. I'm seeing tunes that I have never heard before. What a great question. I'll put some thought into this. There are very few songs that I remember learning note for note, but I remember learning Tiny's Tempo, Honey Boy(Billy Butler), Stompin with Bill, and Jackson's nook. I must use lead and comping ideas from all those songs all the time. I'm so happy to be on board with you boys.

User Info Menu

funny!!..been lookin all over u-tube to post teddy bunn's "jacksons nook" ..but nowhere!!..absolute killer..

and by way of history-

jacksons nook was san francisco club..run by caribbean couple who made great "soul" food..so all the musicians playin' the then very happening fillmore area would head there between and after sets..to eat!..but they'd eventually start to blow..and it became the hip behind the scenes playin' scene..kerouac immortalized it in "on the road"..callin it "jam"sons nook! genius!

hah!! got it..listen-

http://www.phantomsofsoul.com/78samp...nsNookmono.mp3

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-01-2015 at 09:34 PM. Reason: sp

User Info Menu

Here's "Honey Boy"

User Info Menu

And here's a YouTube clip of someone playing Billy Butler's part...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Louis Jordan doing "Caldonia" (-I think the correct spelling is "Caledonia"). BB King did this, and also "Let the Good Times Roll," which Louis Jordan also did (before him). Did BB do anything else Louis Jordan had done? Just curious...
    B.B. King devoted an entire album to Louis Jordan "Let the Good Times Roll." The 1999 album featured Dr. John, Hank Crawford, Fathead Newman, Earl Palmer, and Russell Malone on rhythm guitar.

It is quite possible that B.B. King did other LJ tunes at other points in his career.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott
    B.B. King devoted an entire album to Louis Jordan "Let the Good Times Roll." The 1999 album featured Dr. John, Hank Crawford, Fathead Newman, Earl Palmer, and Russell Malone on rhythm guitar.

It is quite possible that B.B. King did other LJ tunes at other points in his career.
    Thanks! I had no idea. I'd like to hear that record.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A short demonstration of the "flat tire" rhythm central to this style.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    funny!!..been lookin all over u-tube to post teddy bunn's "jacksons nook" ..but nowhere!!..absolute killer..

and by way of history-

jacksons nook was san francisco club..run by caribbean couple who made great "soul" food..so all the musicians playin' the then very happening fillmore area would head there between and after sets..to eat!..but they'd eventually start to blow..and it became the hip behind the scenes playin' scene..kerouac immortalized it in "on the road"..callin it "jam"sons nook! genius!

hah!! got it..listen-

cheers
    That is a great story. I love this thread, thanks for sharing this! I'm a huge Teddy Bunn fan. I love everything he did. The stuff with Hadda Brooks is really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

and by way of history-

hah!! got it..listen-

cheers
    I listen to a lot of 30s and 40s Swing. That track you posted is killer. The inherent swing in the phrases (of all the musicians featured) is so typical of musicians back then...very few play with that type of swing feel nowadays. It makes you want to dance.

Bit too early for this thread, but I love The Spirits of Rhythm. Especially Leo Watson's scat singing.