The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 293

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    About "The Hucklebuck". Is it or is it not Charlie Parker's "Now's The Time"? (Minus lyrics, of course, but the version above is done without vocals, so...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    About "The Hucklebuck". Is it or is it not Charlie Parker's "Now's The Time"? (Minus lyrics, of course, but the version above is done without vocals, so...)
    Junior Watosn picked up his version from Earl Hooker's recording of that tune - recorde in 1952 if my memory doesn't fail me.

User Info Menu

I think this fits in----can't listen to blues for too long without wanting to hear some harp!

User Info Menu

can't listen to blues for too long without wanting to hear some harp!
    If this is so then allow me this pure vanity post:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGerry
    Pleasantly surprised to find this Tiny Grimes footage on the tube:
    Tiny had it going on!

User Info Menu

Red Prysock's "Hand Clappin'"----just the thing for a Saturday night. (Well, there's Louis Jordan's "Saturday Night Fish Fry" but I think we've already covered that one.)

User Info Menu

Some Charlie Christian in a boogie-boogie vein. Great two-chorus solo.

User Info Menu

To me Jimmy Liggins' Cadillac Boogie is one of the best. Bullmoose Jackson's stuff is pretty over the top with innuendo but he's got some cool arrangements like Bowlegged Woman. Wynonie Harris is pretty great too.

User Info Menu

one of my fave youtube clips ever…the great amos milburn… some of the fast woogie...the host can't stand still!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    To me Jimmy Liggins' Cadillac Boogie is one of the best. Bullmoose Jackson's stuff is pretty over the top with innuendo but he's got some cool arrangements like Bowlegged Woman. Wynonie Harris is pretty great too.
    Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard "Cadillac Boogie".

User Info Menu

Listening to "Cadillac Boogie" I thought of two other songs: Vince Taylor's "Brand New Cadillac" (-which the Clash famously covered) and Commander Cody's version of "Hot Rod Lincoln."

User Info Menu

Listening to "Cadillac Boogie" I thought of two other songs: Vince Taylor's "Brand New Cadillac" (-which the Clash famously covered) and Commander Cody's version of "Hot Rod Lincoln."

two killer trax those…the great uk session man joe moretti (rip) played the guitar lick on the vince t…and of course kirchen on hr lincoln..two stellar players!

cheers

User Info Menu

commander cody gets dismissed as a goofy bunch of longhairs..but they were great players..and tapping into a genre long before it was hip.. and great vintage song selections..their originals were darned good too

joe moretti also played on johnny kidd & pirates-shakin all over and restless…also tom jones-it's not unusual…there's a even a great clip of (a very young ) him playin with gene vincent..he was (one of?) the best early uk guys

great moretti overview for thems that care..(one of my fave's)

Joe Moretti: Session guitarist whose work graced a string of hits - Obituaries - News - The Independent

cheers

& oh yeah..kirchen still out there..tele in hand

heres pretty recent clip with old bud-luthier de

Last edited by neatomic; 09-20-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

"Send for the doctor, make you feel so good.
    Do more for you than any man in this neighborhood...."

Tell, it Doc.

User Info Menu

Some Johnny Otis:

Lotta early rock likcks here!

User Info Menu

oh yeah johnny otis was key key figure in west coast jump blues, r&b,even later r&r etc etc..socal..he was a musician, bandleader, club owner, record label guy, early tv host, musicians union leader, discoverer of so much talent..he's huge in influential scope..a prime mover...but not all that well known

and his son shuggie is/was one heck of a guitar player!

in his golden days he had a radio show up in norcal..out of his beloved sebastopol..he was great until the end..knew everything and everybody..real old school hipster!!

cheers

ps-
    this is a killer lp compiled from johnny otis' tv show…his band would back the original artists live..so you have new versions of joe turner doin shake rattle n roll, or richard berry louie louie..but with otis' great tv band backin…good stuff

Jump Blues-514bhxrisjl-jpg
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-22-2015 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Great genre and tradition. Can't beat early BB King and Gatemouth Brown as some of the more popular acts of the era. I lived near Westerly, Rhode Island and was exposed to frequent heavy doses of jump blues by Roomful of Blues w/Duke Robillard. These guys were/are dedicated to preserving the tradition, and as mentioned, Duke is one of the living contemporary masters of the style. I did a private gig this summer, one of the other acts was Chris Vachon, the current Roomful guitarist for the past 25 years.

A 1980 track with the great Ronnie Earl on guitar.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 09-23-2015 at 02:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Another fun Duke Robillard tune, "Too Hot To Handle." (Not to be confused with the song Otis Redding sang...)

Duke teaches this one at "Sonic Junction" but if you've been playing awhile, you probably don't need any help with it. Still fun.

User Info Menu

gatemouth was musical director of 60's music show out of texas-the beat

here he is swingin on a classic rickenbacker!!…pre hendrix gypsies billy cox played bass

cheers

User Info Menu

The Beat show was incredible and the 6 or so DVD sets are well worth seeking out for old school R&B and Blues. I know some folks that worked at WFAA in Dallas at the time. If I recall, the show originated in Nashville. Hoss Allen, the host was a Nashville DJ and an important figure in promoting early R&B and Gospel. They recorded the show in Dallas because the Nashville facilities could only shoot in B&W.

Here's Louis Jordan from the same series:

And while not strictly Jump, the Freddie King appearances on the same shows kill me every time. Makes me want to get a 345/355:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hanktx
    The Beat show was incredible and the 6 or so DVD sets are well worth seeking out for old school R&B and Blues. I know some folks that worked at WFAA in Dallas at the time. If I recall, the show originated in Nashville. Hoss Allen, the host was a Nashville DJ and an important figure in promoting early R&B and Gospel. They recorded the show in Dallas because the Nashville facilities could only shoot in B&W.

Here's Louis Jordan from the same series:

And while not strictly Jump, the Freddie King appearances on the same shows kill me every time. Makes me want to get a 345/355:

wow, great show indeed! Two of my favorites, and the house band is killing it too! Sombody somewhere said its Gatemouth Brown on the solidbody in the band? Freddies tone is to die for, where do they teach to play guitar like that? Its seems more fitting to say he's "attacking" it, rather than "playing"!

I think I was born in the wrong time, too late. The music, even how they dress, it's just speaks to me. There's very little today that I enjoy like that.

User Info Menu

heres another great performance from that show..barbara lynn killin it w gatemouth on the ric

cheers

ps and yes thats gatemouth on the white fender jaguar backin louis jordan
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-23-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    heres another great performance from that show..barbara lynn killin it w gatemouth on the ric
    So cool, I've been working on "What'd I Say" this week. Such a fun tune.

User Info Menu

I dig the way Duke arranged the horn section for guitar on this recording. Haven't found out how to do it yet: