Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 283

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO View Post
    I dig the way Duke arranged the horn section for guitar on this recording. Haven't found out how to do it yet:
    Ah, "Jumpin' Blues." That's one of the tunes Duke teaches at Sonic Junction.

The opening chord sequence is: F F7 Bb6 Bbm6 F C7 F F7, which seems simple enough, but he voices each of those F (and F7) chords a different way! It creates a nice movement.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

how about some pee wee crayton!…dig this A side from 1954…opening riff remind you of anything??…haha

pee wee also got in on the hucklebuck thing..the huckle boogie

one of junior watsons favorite guys

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Ah, "Jumpin' Blues."
    Composed by Jay McShann and Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

mcshann so very undervalued!!..and hip!….thats st.louis bird..a kid!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    how about some pee wee crayton!…dig this A side from 1954…opening riff remind you of anything??…haha
    I expected the answer would be Chuck Berry---and there is a family resmeblance---but the first association to hit me was, "My, God, that's the intro to the Beatles' 'Revolution'!"
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott View Post
    Composed by Jay McShann and Charlie Parker.
    That's an unusual tune in that the first chorus doesn't include the head! And the head itself sounds like a backing riff. But hey, it works!
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

The opening chord sequence is: F F7 Bb6 Bbm6 F C7 F F7, which seems simple enough, but he voices each of those F (and F7) chords a different way! It creates a nice movement.
    That's it: the chords are pretty obvious but he plays them through different inversions and changes position which makes it interesting (and tricky)!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

That's it: the chords are pretty obvious but he plays them through different inversions and changes position which makes it interesting (and tricky)!
    Right. But like other people who comp well, especially those doing anything in the Swing vein, he has his favorite moves. For example, he likes a voicing he calls the "gospel" chord and it looks like this (-let's say in F, the key of "Jumpin' Blues"):

8-x-7-10-x-x

You'll notice that the 5th is in the bass and that the root is the top note. It's a simple triad. But it's a nice voicing for swing-style comping and it blends with with other ones for creating a bass line OR for creating a nice inner-line. For example,
    if you play two beats of F this way, then an F7 voiced as 8-x-7-8-x-x, then a regular Bb6 followed by a Bbm6, you have a nice movement in the top line. Freddie Green did that sort of thing all the time.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try.

I've watched Duke play this tune and he plays those opening chords on the first 5 - 6 frets though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a try.

I've watched Duke play this tune and he plays those opening chords on the first 5 - 6 frets though.
    The way he plays it here (-Sonic Junction) is 'down there' much of the time too, though he says if it's all down there it gets too muddy. The head is played at the low end, though it's on the top three strings (-for the most part).
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Who's up for some Bill Jennings and Jack McDuff doing "Glide On"?

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

The head is played at the low end, though it's on the top three strings (-for the most part).
    Yes that's the way I've seen him doing it.

Who's up for some Bill Jennings and Jack McDuff doing "Glide On"?

One of my favourite twofers (two original albums on one CD): Bill Jennings and Brother Jack McDuff!

Keep 'em coming!

User Info Menu

Here's a lesson in jump blues comping by Tommy Harkenrider. I really enjoyed this one. (I don't know Tommy and haven't bought any of his lessons, but this is a nifty quick lesson in comping.)

thanks for this little Gem, Tommy Harkenrider is my guitar instructor and I've not seen this one before. I'll be working on it all day between pedal builds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shamblin View Post
    thanks for this little Gem, Tommy Harkenrider is my guitar instructor and I've not seen this one before. I'll be working on it all day between pedal builds.
    It's a nifty lesson. The basic comp is fun---and flexible---but I need more work to pull some of the lines out of it that he does.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

You may enjoy this short lesson on blues comping by Kirk Fletcher:

User Info Menu

You may enjoy this short lesson on blues comping by Kirk Fletcher:
    Whoa! That's hot stuff. I know some of those moves but certainly not all of them. That 'tremolo strum' is so cool!
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ah, thanks for Teddy Bunn. "Edgar's Boogie" is a good 'un.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

swingin killer guitar driven instro from johnny otis and his orchestra....guitar is pete "guitar" lewis..with ben webster on tenor sax...johnny o on vibes! cut in L.A. december 26, 1951 for mercury records

cheers

ps- pic of pete guitar lewis with jo horns..wailin an epiphone

Jump Blues-petelewisu002528betteru002529-jpg
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-25-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I have to learn some of these tunes.

What sounds like a good starter-set of jump blues tunes to you guys?
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGerry View Post

great track..guitar showcase..you can hear bunns guitar needs some bridge work…his note starts sitaring at one point!! hah..great octal tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Some Illinois "Texas Tenor" Jacquet, from 1942

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A little Ruth Brown would not be out of place here.....

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A little Ruth Brown would not be out of place here.....

obvious that louis armstrong had huge influence on her...

he was the alpha... everyone else the omega

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-27-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

Let's not forget this guy here:

User Info Menu

Let's not forget this guy here: [T-Bone Walker]
    Love T-Bone. He's harder to emulate than one might think: He really mixed up his rhythms!

Another guy we can't forget is Freddie King. Perhaps not jump blues per se (-I think he's generally thought of as Texas blues), but what jump band doesn't do at least one Freddie King instrumental?

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Freddy King: probably my main man when it comes to blues lead guitar! Learn his instrumentals and you have a tool box full of licks and lines that you can use!

User Info Menu

Freddy King: probably my main man when it comes to blues lead guitar! Learn his instrumentals and you have a tool box full of licks and lines that you can use!
    I love his playing too. (Eric Clapton once said that his soloing was mainly a matter of shuffling Freddie King licks around---and I think Eric is a great blues player.) Such strong rhythmic drive and those stinging licks!
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

raucous 1948 bay area jumper from roy hawkins..who wrote the thrill is gone! i.e. bb's hit!

skullsplitting guitar work from super obscure ulysses james

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

raucous 1948 bay area jumper from roy hawkins..who wrote the thrill is gone! i.e. bb's hit!

skullsplitting guitar work from super obscure ulysses james
    Thanks! Never heard that one before.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A lesson teaching 5 ending licks for a jump blues. Nice.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I favour No.s 3 and 5 - bit of a bebop flavour - I'll have to learn those and apply them to the R&R tunes we play in the band. The others aren't shabby either but I'm quite familiar with them. No.4 for example sounds like the intro to a Hollywood Fats Band recording (I think "Rock This House"?).

Thanks for the clip, Mark!

User Info Menu

This is a plug for a book / poster about jump blues players. I have no affiliation with the book. Some nice snippets from players we haven't yet mentioned, so it's worth a look / listen.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

A lession (via guitar.com) by Charlie Baty of Little Charlie and the Nightcats.

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Back to the classics....

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis "Ravin' at the Haven" (1947)

And Jimmy Rushing doing "Mr. Five By Five."

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Amos Milburn doing the "Chicken Shack Boogie"

Bull Moose Jackson doing "Shorty's Got To Go"

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Loved Ravin' At the Haven. Anything with hand claps is going to swing it for me. Simple, rhythmic phrasing during the sax solo...wonderful stuff!

User Info Menu

Lockjaw also put me in mind of this famous solo.

By the time you get towards the end, it's jump. The power of the riff.

User Info Menu

some nice cal green nastiness- huffin & puffin…indeed

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGerry View Post
    Lockjaw also put me in mind of this famous solo.

By the time you get towards the end, it's jump. The power of the riff.
    I used to listen to a jazz show that sometimes opened with this. Love it.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

as per that jump blues book...forgot about wild jimmy spruill!! ..

killer stuff

cheers

ps- how great is willie dixon in that matt murphy clip?!!

User Info Menu

About that Jimmy Spruill clip above, "Scratchin'." That opening bass-line riff sounds a lot like the "What'd I Say?" bassline.

Speaking of Ray, this is a less well known tune but it's a hoot nonetheless

Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Anyone know who the guitarist is on "It Should Have Been Me"?
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Anyone know who the guitarist is on "It Should Have Been Me"?
    the great mickey baker!
    Jump Blues-101420370_135415612083-jpg

cheers

ps- always liked the commander cody live version on we've got a live one here

<em>
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-29-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

ps- how great is willie dixon in that matt murphy clip?!!
    He had great feel, a great voice and wrote some killer songs. When you listen to his bass lines though, sometimes he plays for a whole 12 bars on the I chord. On those occasions, he sometimes outlines the IV too, but if it hadn't been for his pianists, slamming out the harmony, a lot of his recordings wouldn't have worked so well. He even played guitar like that. There's a clip of him on youtube singing a 12 bar, making changes with his vocal lines, but only playing around the I chord. Personally, I don't give a damn, it works for me...funny though.

If you're not aware of them already, there's a whole series of blues festival DVDs featuring all the greats of the 60s. Well worth watching (most of the clips on youtube are taken from that set, plus one DVD of 'British tours').
    Last edited by GuitarGerry; 09-30-2015 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

the great mickey baker!
    Jump Blues-101420370_135415612083-jpg

cheers
    Neat! Thanks.

Here's Mickey with the "Spinnin' Rock Boogie"
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Speaking of Willie Dixon, how on earth did we forget the Big three trio!

User Info Menu

not jump per se, but boss instro from the great jody williams…played on so many classic chicago blues tracks ala willie dixon

lucky lou

cheers

User Info Menu

More Mickey Baker...

Frank Vignola