Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can go pretty far with a Tele. Wasn't it basically the first s/b electric guitar ever made to have widespread commercial sucess? It's been said that it's the most like an acoustic of any electric. Lots of harmonic complexity. I don't have too many complaints having made it my main axe. I play a Thinline (top half hollow with an F hole) and there's people who claim there's no difference between that and a regular 100% s/b. I agree with them that it is a bit of a gimmick but I think there's a difference. Any opinions?

What about Charliecasters with a CC neck pup?
    Last edited by mrcee; 07-30-2015 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I play a Thinline (top half hollow with an F hole) and there's people who claim there's no difference between that and a regular 100% s/b. I agree with them that it is a bit of a gimmick but I think there's a difference. Any opinions?
    I have a '69 Thinline, but that's made of mahagony as opposed to alder or ash that Teles usually are made of, so I'm not sure whether the hollow part or the different bodywood accounts for the slightly mellower tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I have a '69 Thinline, but that's made of mahagony as opposed to alder or ash that Teles usually are made of, so I'm not sure whether the hollow part or the different bodywood accounts for the slightly mellower tone.
    of course it all depends on your style..but if your about nuance and roll back your guitar pots..and set your pickups just your way, etc etc..then yes a mahagony body is going to be a bit warmer than alder or ash…and a hollow a bit more resonant than a solid.. however, stick a fuzztone into the mix, slap on cobalt strings and max your volume..and its all the same

play for nuance

cheers

User Info Menu

its on my list of NEXT...

it is quite a guitar..a country icon..choice of some of the best blues players..Muddy Waters Michael Bloomfield Roy Buchanan the list of rock players is very long and jazz has some of the best players that are using this wonderful instrument..here is a partial list of some names ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...caster_players
    play well ...
    wolf

User Info Menu

here is a partial list of some names ..
    The list starts with B. They forgot to include Pete Anderson who played the Tele for Dwight Yoakam but on his own is also a great blues and swing guitar player.

User Info Menu

Further down the alphabet, but Redd Volkaert deserves a mention. The twangin' starts around 43 seconds in.

User Info Menu

Cool to see a Patrick thread.

User Info Menu

Some fine country pickin' from Johnny Hiland, who used to perform in the Don Kelley Band at Roberts Lounge in Nashville.

User Info Menu

Some fine country pickin' from Johnny Hiland
    The picking might be fine , but the guitar doesn't fit in this thread. Who needs a whammy bar, humbucking pickups and a luxurious top, when a simple piece of wood does the job.
    Rob MacKillop, who seems to play anything with strings on it, also plays a tele sometimes. Coaxes some jazzy tones out of it.(Before switching on the overdrive
    )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    The picking might be fine , but the guitar doesn't fit in this thread. Who needs a whammy bar, humbucking pickups and a luxurious top, when a simple piece of wood does the job.
    Rob MacKillop, who seems to play anything with strings on it, also plays a tele sometimes. Coaxes some jazzy tones out of it.(Before switching on the overdrive
    )
    crisscross . Johnny Hiland's guitar in the photo is the result of an endorsement. When I saw him playing "Orange Blossom Special" down on Broadway in Nashville , he used a Tele on every occasion.

User Info Menu

I played a Tele last night mainly to use on Stray Cat Strut for a little twangin' and whammy bar action, but I ended up playing about a third of our 2-hour jazz set on it. A tele with a tremolo is a powerful thing. Most versatile guitar out there, hands down.

Danny Gatton was a monster, and Vince Gill can sure play the heck out of that thing. What is that weird guitar Albert Lee is playing? Is that one of Leo's one-offs?

User Info Menu

Music man Albert Lee sig model.

They're weird looking, but really nice. Kind of a strat/tele lovechild, tonally.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Leo's less-successful models (but highly collectable!):

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/10...---video/54393

User Info Menu

How 'bout another triple dose of badass tele pickin'....

More Hellecasters, dig John Jorgenson's scary hair 20 yeas ago.

User Info Menu

A bit more of the Hellecasters....

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Don't forget this guy. He made the Tele sound pretty good.

User Info Menu

+1 for red here's some swing, this made me buy a hahn! Unfortunately didn't help me play like red!

User Info Menu

And mr Trapp made me spit my tea out when I heard his solo on this, I was in shock for a week.

User Info Menu

Spiderman needs no fancy suit or gadgets plus he's a jazz guitar fan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov View Post
    Got to love Brad!

User Info Menu

Then there's this guy....
    Yep, that's what a Tele is for! Anyone else watching Brad's right hand on this one?

User Info Menu

When I first heard Brad's album 'play' ( it's mostly instrumental ) I couldn't believe a tele could be played like and sound like that. He also has his own signature sound as well, which ain't easy to do these days, especially with the chickin' pickin'. IMO he's pretty much set a new standard for the 'new country', although I much prefer the classic country from the 60's/70's. As my handle might imply the tele is my solid body of choice.

Bill Kirchen is very cool as well. But in a very different way. It's all good. For those with a short attention span the fun starts about 2:30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    And mr Trapp made me spit my tea out when I heard his solo on this, I was in shock for a week.

I think when that song came out, it was a nickel (not a quarter) one put in the jukebox to play "The Truck Drivin' Man." Always loved that song and sometimes catch myself singing it apropos of nothing.

Killer solo indeed.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli View Post
    Bill Kirchen is very cool as well. But in a very different way. It's all good. For those with a short attention span the fun starts about 2:30

I love that song. Have trouble (playing solo) keeping a good, varied comp going doing the verses---this vid gives me some ideas. Thanks!
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Duke Levine -- This one starts harmonically rich and lyrical. After 5:00 he burns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP View Post
    Duke Levine -- This one starts harmonically rich and lyrical. After 5:00 he burns.
    LOVE Duke Levine.

User Info Menu

Tim Lerch also uses the full range of the tele, from singing to burning.

User Info Menu

LOVE Duke Levine.
    He sits in with a jam band Club D'elf a few times a year.
    Love and Peace:
    https://ia601500.us.archive.org/3/it...5-11-22t05.mp3

User Info Menu

While we're at it: Roy Buchanan made his Tele sing, scream and wail

User Info Menu

LOVE Duke Levine.
    PSA for Duke Levine fans: his new album was just released for digital download. If you like country-soul guitar instrumentals, it's worth checking out. I'm just a fan, not a promoter.
    http://www.nimbitmusic.com/dukelevine/mobile/177381

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP View Post
    PSA for Duke Levine fans: his new album was just released for digital download. If you like country-soul guitar instrumentals, it's worth checking out. I'm just a fan, not a promoter.
    http://www.nimbitmusic.com/dukelevine/mobile/177381
    Brilliant, thanks for this.

User Info Menu

From Duke Levine's "The Fade Out" album release concert.

Last edited by KirkP; 07-02-2016 at 11:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Paisley is a monster player.
    "If you play sweet child 'o mine again...I'm breaking your guitar"

User Info Menu

Duke Levine with Club d'Elf, don't interrupt the sorrow, Joni Mitchell cover. (& Kevin Barry left channel.)
    Club d'Elf Live at Lizard Lounge on 2017-06-02 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.